It's Official #Work Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unforgettableFOXfire

I serve MacPhisto
At work today I tried to catch a falling beer bottle in the fridge with a hand that was holding another beer bottle, causing them both to break, spilling copious beer (good beer, no less, which is even more tragic) on the floor and making 6-7 cuts on my hands.

Having cleaned up the glass, and tending to my wounds... which, in a bar, invariably resulted in contact with lemon/lime juice... I mopped up the floor when we weren't too busy.

Apparently standing in a large pool of beer, and mopping up a floor, is a good way to short out the fridge and receive a mild electric shock when ones rubber-soled insulated shoes have holes in the bottom, and the mop is old school wood and steel.

And then I had to work for 3 more hours because filling out sheets and going to the hospital was not high on my priorities list.

Also: Ow.

Good new is that you were holding alcohol which more than likely cleaned up the wounds a bit. :shifty:

Seriously, take care of yourself. Hope you heal Quickly

The good news is, the electricity thing only shorted out the breaker, and not the fridge itself.

<--- It's official: does not have money to replace fridges that he breaks.

:|

Thanks Cleasai :D

Wait a sec... they would make you replace the refridgerator? Even though it was the building's fault it has faulty electricity? Erhm... that doesn't seem right.

Well, no... I doubt they'd make me replace the refridgerator... but stranger things have happened. There's little question they would have covered it, but there's little question also that they'd 'punish' me in more subtle ways. Not giving me as many shifts, keeping me out of doing bar service, not giving me requested time off, etc. The administration seems to think that all the problems that occur are the faults of the low-level employees... But I guaruntee if you replaced all the employees, the problems would still exist, and might even get worse. The way they run the building is stupid, but we're not professional accountants and business executives so they don't need our knowledge... because people sitting in an office who never work on the floor and never interact with the customers and never deal with freak chance occurances and coincidences (in short, things that become big problems) are the most knowledgable about how things work.

I'm not saying they're awful, by any stretch. I'm just saying they're out of touch, and lack the flexibility necessary to cope well with the demands of interacting with their clientelle as best they could. I like my job, and I certainly wouldn't want to work anywhere else to put myself through school. That's not to say it doesn't aggrevate me when they seem shocked that food doesnt stay in the building long, or that certain groups drink a lot of a certain type of wine... they don't want to make the cash available to us to make sure we're meeting the demands of our clients, and then they blame us when we don't have the resources and someone complains 'they didn't have a certain type of beer' or 'I had this food yesterday, and they're serving it again today'. Because, you know, it's entirely the responsibility of servers and cooks that certain people consume a lot of something at any given time... its totally a crapshoot, whether one group goes nuts and devours all our inventory in a few days or it lasts a full week. They sooner accuse us of stealing than admitting the possibility that a group of 100 mba students might just eat a lot more than a second group of 100 mba students. They don't sit there and watch people shovelling food into their faces and washing it down with 2 glasses of wine and 3 diet cokes, though, like we do, and they don't listen to us.

So yeah... they wouldn't make me replace it, but they'd think what they wanted (like I did it maliciously or something) and they'd do what bureaucrats are wont to do; create some sort of policy about handling bottles to prevent fridge damage so that the next time it happens they could place the blame on us.

This is why I'm glad it was only a breaker.

Not that I'm being overly cynical or anything, though. But I'm still of the opinion that trickle-down theory is bullshit, and people on the lowest level are getting worked over while the people above them sit back and laugh and see just how much they can exploit those in need. Hmph.

Back
Top Bottom