IT'S OFFICIAL #Wanna Go Outside? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > It's Official... > It's Official Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:48 PM
IT'S OFFICIAL #Wanna Go Outside?

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 10-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:48 PM
I have the hiccups

Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 10:48 AM
Very cute dogs
Old 10-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:48 AM
You tease! did they ever get to go out? I hope you left your harmonica home
Old 10-12-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

I shut the camera off and set it down before taking him out. I figured he was gonna pull me down the porch steps so fast that if I was holding the camera, it would go flying. I also figured I'd better stop teasing him before he just decided to do a big screw you and pee on the rug.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:09 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Old 10-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #7
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

OMG, tpsreports!

Old 10-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Old 10-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #9
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:48 PM
Old 10-12-2006, 10:34 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

You should really consider buying cages bigger than that for those breeds (Labs, yes?)
Or maybe train them to be safely left alone at home while you are away for extended periods of time.
It's not good for dogs to be cramped like that for long periods of time. Our old beagle (about 15" at the shoulders) had a cage that size and it was perfect for her. She could have her toys on one side and her bedding on the other with room to move around between both.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:48 AM   #11
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

We've heard that the general rule of thumb is that if they can turn around in their crates, the size is fine. I'd still like to get a bigger one for Buddy, because he's so unusually tall. He can still stand up in it, but there's really no room to spare.

We are slowly training Chewie so that she can be crate-free. She's pretty well-behaved, but our main worry is that she gets separation anxiety. Buddy is more difficult, as he will misbehave right in front of us. I think he's come to realize that no matter what punishment he gets, it won't be anything that will make his escapades not worth it...so he just goes for it. I tend to believe his thought process is, "I'm gonna jump up on the counter, grab that sponge, and chew it up. What are they gonna do, yell at me? Big deal! They'll be showering me with love again in a half hour, tops!" The positive side is that he likes his crate. Even when we are all just out in the house, he will go and lay in it.

Buddy can't have bedding in there during the day because he chews it up.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #12
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick
We've heard that the general rule of thumb is that if they can turn around in their crates, the size is fine. I'd still like to get a bigger one for Buddy, because he's so unusually tall. He can still stand up in it, but there's really no room to spare.

only just having enough space to stand up and turn around... gee lucky dog
someone please point out to me what part of that isn't cruel?

Quote:
Buddy can't have bedding in there during the day because he chews it up.
um, maybe because he's frustrated and bored and filled with pent up energy from being in a cage all day?

seriously, i can't see how this is acceptable treatment for animals.
and not just acceptable but SO acceptable that you can stick it up on the internet without any commentary back because no one else thinks that its totally fucking wrong to keep a dog of any size, let alone a large one, in a cage barely large enough to hold it???

seriously, if you don't have the space for a dog, don't get one.
if you can't afford to, don't have the time to or just don't want to train a dog properly but aren' prepared to then have it misbehanve, don't get one.

and teasing the dog before you let it out of its little jail... thats just priceless
Old 10-13-2006, 08:30 PM   #13
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:48 AM
Why is it that the first thing I was reminded of, when watching your video, was of the bears that live in cages in China and have their bile removed?

Thank you Digsy, I couldn't have put it better.

Keeping a dog of that size in a cage of that size is shameful. Actually, keeping a dog in a cage (to me) is disgusting.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:43 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Okay, here's what I think of it....

Yes I think that the cage is too small for the dog and to me keeping an animal in a cage is disgusting BUT the dog must learn before the dog romes around the house destroying everthing in its way.

BUT ALSO you guys have to be more nicer and more respecful to Bonochick. Make your comment and just say it nicely and leave. Bonochick just tried to be nice and show a video. Not to be attacked.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

I know quite a few people who keep their dogs in a cage during the day while they are off at work. As far as I see it, it is common practice.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:14 PM   #16
New Yorker

i can't say i've ever heard of it which is why i'm so shocked by it.

and really, does the fact that its common practice make it right?
think about it for a second... a dog. in cage. that it can only just stand in.

whether other people do it or not isn't the point, its just cruel and wrong

seriously, you cage people are lucky my mother doesn't find you, she'd put you in cage to see how you like it.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #17
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:48 AM
I dont know much about dogs (cats are my forte) but I think things are very different in the U.S. unfortunately. Like for cats I know that declawing is actually banned/illegal in many countries like England, Australia, etc. It's absolutely disgusting. I wish it were banned in the U.S. too
Old 10-13-2006, 11:12 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by digsy
i can't say i've ever heard of it which is why i'm so shocked by it.

and really, does the fact that its common practice make it right?
think about it for a second... a dog. in cage. that it can only just stand in.

whether other people do it or not isn't the point, its just cruel and wrong

seriously, you cage people are lucky my mother doesn't find you, she'd put you in cage to see how you like it.
But yes, it is cruel but it is how people live. Most people who have dogs I know have kept their dogs in cages at certain times when they're not around because they know there dogs will jump, piss and crap on stuff until the dog is well behaved. My dogs go to my dads office with him. When I had my first dog he was caged for everynight and sometimes during the day. Within a month he never since pissed and did everything around the house that was bad. My second dog didn't get caged as much as my first because he litterally learned from my first dog. Although he does piss around in my room during the night.......

Also I've talked and heard from a lot of people that you should put like a radio or a CD right by there cages so they dont feel lonley... If you put in a Cd then make sure it is like a very very calm CD...
Old 10-14-2006, 01:30 AM   #19
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:48 AM
I honestly can't believe that this is acceptable practice, especially when there is agreement that it is cruel.

If you have a dog, you have a responsibility to look after it, teach it and be with it. That means giving up some of your time. How hard is it to get up an hour earlier and take the poor thing for a good long walk (it's also a great way to get exercise and put you in a great mood for the start of the day) and while your at it, train it to behave? During that time it will probably go to the toilet (which you can then clean up outside with little/no problem) and guess what, no problems at home. Given a good walk like this the dog will probably sleep most of the rest of the day. Give it some toys to play with, a nice big bone to gnaw on and maybe the odd treat and guess what? The dog will be happy and not touch your stuff!

Come home from work and do the same thing and hey, you don't need a cage, the dog will love you for it and your house doesn't get destroyed.

If you can't do that or aren't prepared to, then why have a dog?

I am sorry if my opinion has been stated in a way that appears offensive but to think that this is an acceptable way to train or look after an animal is, to me, abhorent and I am with Digsy's mother - anyone who does this should be put in a cage that is only big enough to stand up/turn around in and see what it feels like.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I watched the video a few days ago and I think BC's dogs have toys. She doesn't appear to keep them locked up all day long with nothing to do but stare at the bars of the cage.

Some dogs have separation anxiety and will tear the house apart when you leave because they're lonely.

I'm not arguing either way; I don't have a dog and I probably never will so I never really thought about the cage thing, other than a friend's Bichons LOVE their kennels when she leaves the house (and we know this because all she says is, "KENNELS!" and they run into them, grab a toy, and curl up, and she leaves Animal Planet on for them).