Its Official : Vegemite Rocks!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
:drool: :drool: :drool:

vegemite%20455g%20large.jpg

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

That is the extent of my knowledge of vegemite. And I STILL don't know what it is :laugh:

Bono's American Wife said:
Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

That is the extent of my knowledge of vegemite. And I STILL don't know what it is :laugh:

:heart:

From Wikipedia:

Vegemite (pronounced "VEH-gee-mite") is the registered brand name for a dark brown, salty food paste mainly used as a spread on sandwiches and toast, though occasionally used in cooking. Popular in Australia and New Zealand—Vegemite is semi-jokingly called one of Australia's national foods—it is seldom found elsewhere. Food technologist Dr. Cyril P. Callister invented Vegemite in 1923 when his employer, the Australian Fred Walker Company, had him develop a spread from Brewer's Yeast.

Vegemite is based on a yeast extract. It is actually a by-product of brewing and also contains malt extract. Vegemite is a rich source of the vitamin B group, including Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), and Folate (B6).

While highly popular in Australia and New Zealand, it has never been successfully marketed elsewhere. It is notorious for the dislike it generates amongst some foreigners, particularly Americans. Note that Vegemite is not liked by all Australians - many find it quite nauseating - but it has been said that "Australians would go to war over their Vegemite".

Vegemite is often spread with liberal amounts of butter to help to soften the strong taste, or with sliced or melted cheese. It is also a key ingredient in the popular "Cheesymite Scroll" or "Cheddarmite Scroll" produced by bakeries in Australia, a savoury spiral pastry which includes cheese spread and vegemite.

It has a taste you won't forget......

Okay:

ONLY real Io'ers (translation: LOSERS) will remember this....

Name the former IOer who had a dog named Vegemite?

I'll be back in a few days to award prizes (I bet angelic Harlem gets it though....or Sicy).

nbcrusader said:
From Wikipedia:

Vegemite (pronounced "VEH-gee-mite") is the registered brand name for a dark brown, salty food paste mainly used as a spread on sandwiches and toast, though occasionally used in cooking. Popular in Australia and New Zealand—Vegemite is semi-jokingly called one of Australia's national foods—it is seldom found elsewhere. Food technologist Dr. Cyril P. Callister invented Vegemite in 1923 when his employer, the Australian Fred Walker Company, had him develop a spread from Brewer's Yeast.

Vegemite is based on a yeast extract. It is actually a by-product of brewing and also contains malt extract. Vegemite is a rich source of the vitamin B group, including Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin (B3), and Folate (B6).

While highly popular in Australia and New Zealand, it has never been successfully marketed elsewhere. It is notorious for the dislike it generates amongst some foreigners, particularly Americans. Note that Vegemite is not liked by all Australians - many find it quite nauseating - but it has been said that "Australians would go to war over their Vegemite".

Vegemite is often spread with liberal amounts of butter to help to soften the strong taste, or with sliced or melted cheese. It is also a key ingredient in the popular "Cheesymite Scroll" or "Cheddarmite Scroll" produced by bakeries in Australia, a savoury spiral pastry which includes cheese spread and vegemite.

It has a taste you won't forget......

but this article fails to mention that vegemite was actually a copy of marmite...the great British spread, first released onto the shelves in 1902 :D

Vegemite was even originally called 'Parwill' in a bad pun on Marmite.................eg.....Ma might, but Pa will......... :groan:

"In an attempt to emulate the success of Marmite, Walker re-launched Vegemite as "Parwill". "If Marmite...then Parwill" was the rationale behind Walker's strategy to carve a niche in the market for his concentrated yeast extract spread. However Parwill was only ever sold in Queensland and Walker's creative play-on-words fell on deaf ears and Parwill failed. Walker went back to the drawing board, and finally realised that the Vegemite brand could work. All he had to do was stimulate consumer trial."

- from http://www.vegemite.com.au/index.cfm?fuseaction=VegemiteDiscovery.welcome

zoney! said:
Okay:

I'll be back in a few days to award prizes (I bet angelic Harlem gets it though....or Sicy).

a

zoney! said:
Okay:

:D

Poor little Vegemite.

Vegemite is made from attractive yeast. Not driven around by horses or drunk in bars.

Some things dont need explaining.

How the hell did I start talking about Carlton Draught? Ah well, it is made from attractive yeast, in large metal things..

Angela Harlem said:

:D

Poor little Vegemite.

Vegemite is made from attractive yeast. Not driven around by horses or drunk in bars.

Some things dont need explaining.

How the hell did I start talking about Carlton Draught? Ah well, it is made from attractive yeast, in large metal things..

Not ugly yeast, mind, attractive yeast only need apply.:lol:

And sold in little clear jars, with yellow lids on them....

(I love those Carlton Draught Horses)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom