It's Official: The Seaward's on wikipedia!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Tonic

Babyface
I came across this article recently, and being a lover of the English language, regionalisms, and etymology in general, I thought I'd pass this on. I know we're all adults here and certainly mature enough to approach the subject as linguistic anthropologists, and not as prudish children. Right?

"Enough guys said to their wives, 'You cunt!' Pow! And that's why it's in the dictionary now. C-U-N-T."
Lenny Bruce, discussing the 1961 Webster's Third New International Dictionary

Cunt
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Referring to men
In the United Kingdom, cunt is almost always used to refer to men, not women.

Whilst normally derogatory, in Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and, to a lesser extent, the UK, it can have a comic quality and even be used as a term of endearment. For example, the phrase "How about I buy you a beer, you big cunt?" could be easily taken without any offence and possibly with a hint of affection. A perfect example of this is in the British comedy film Shaun of the Dead, in which one character, Ed, says to a group of four people (which includes his best friend Shaun, Shaun's girlfriend and her friends)in a very light-hearted and casual manner: "Can I get any of you cunts a drink?".

Usage in Scotland and Ireland
Cunt is used extensively in Scotland and Ireland in a non-derogatory way to simply refer to a person when no insult is intended. For example, "Any cunt kens [knows] that!" or "That poor cunt was just minding his business when the bus ran over him" or "there's no cunt here," to mean "there's no one here."

However, to address someone as cunt with no words added to indicate any warmth between people, eg. "hey cunt", "c'mere (come here) cunt" would be considered very aggresive. As in many other countries it is the context of the words use that makes the difference.

Cunty is also a street term used among the gay/hip community as a compliment to someones look or style, or just an overall upgrade to what is considered the norm.

Referring to inanimate objects
Cunt is used extensively in Australia, Ireland and also in some parts of Scotland as a replacement noun, more commonly among males and the working classes, similar to the use of motherfucker or son of a bitch among some Americans in extremely casual settings. For instance, "The cunt won't start," in reference to an automobile; or "Pass me that cunt," meaning "Pass me that item I need"; or "Those cunts down the road," referring to people in the vicinity. When used in this sense, the word does not necessarily imply contempt nor is it necessarily intended to be offensive

Colloquialisms
The term cunt hair can be used to signify a very small distance; an expansion of 'to move it a hair'. Slight variations may include 'red cunt hair' or RCH, or 'blonde cunt hair'. A chef may refer to vegetables being sliced 'thinner than a cunt hair' or a mechanic may direct a colleague to move a piece of equipment 'to the left just a cunt hair.'

So it seems like what we have here is a cultural difference, folks. I find it interesting that to most Americans "the seaward" is the nastiest word in the English language, only to be used in the direst of circumstances but to other English-speaking countries, it's often just another slang-term. We need to keep that in mind when we are deciding what to be offended about, particularly on an international board such as this one.

Thanks, The Tonic. Let's move this thread to FYM!

Last edited:
come up n's

Calluna said:
So it seems like what we have here is a cultural difference, folks. I find it interesting that to most Americans "the seaward" is the nastiest word in the English language, only to be used in the direst of circumstances but to other English-speaking countries, it's often just another slang-term. We need to keep that in mind when we are deciding what to be offended about, particularly on an international board such as this one.

Thanks, The Tonic. Let's move this thread to FYM!

Shut your fanny hole, Calluna! :angry:

The Tonic said:
In the United Kingdom, cunt is almost always used to refer to men, not women.

better wear protection if you're going to try that one out over here

/new-ish united kingdom/northern irish resident

Back
Top Bottom