IT'S OFFICIAL #Public Speaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
The Big Brothers Big Sisters office just called me and asked if I would speak at an assembly about leadership at a local museum. It's going to be a group of 8th, 9th, and 10th graders. They want me to talk about my match with my Little and the role of being a leader and how our lives have been impacted by each other.

I can't believe I said yes...I'm nervous. :reject:

mime-03.gif

No speaking required.

Somehow, I don't think that would go over too well. :lol:

8th, 9th, and 10th graders though...tough crowd...:reject:

I would also like to add that if I am a role model for leadership, we have tough times ahead. :tongue: :wink:

Bonochick said:
8th, 9th, and 10th graders though...tough crowd...:reject:
If they are rude, be harsh back to them in a joking manner. That age group only listens to me when I kiddingly make fun of them... :shrug: Guess it earns their respect. And I might get fired, but oh well.

Freezing in terror and then running to cower in a corner is the new public speaking.

I'm going to write a book about it. An inspirational self-help book. $$$

Public speaking was my biggest fear. Now, it seems as if I am doing it each week.

Create an outline of a few points you want to cover and have fun!

i'd be hiding out in the hallway. public speaking scares me more than pretty much anything.

If I reach a comfort zone and know what I'm talking about, I'm fine. I can't go by a pre-written speech though cuz I get too rigid. I gave a speech at the Senior Supper we had the night before my high school graduation...I just had some stuff scribbled on a note card. I ended up saying some stuff about an English teacher that had some sexual innuendo, and I got a lot of cheers. I guess I'll have to be more careful this time.

yeah, i'm the same way. hate public speaking. but i always do well, like in school when i had to do it for a grade. i'd always get high marks, wtf?

so i guess it's that it seems like you're sucking to yourself, but to everyone else you're terrific. just picture ryan naked if you get nervous. :wink:

omg, i hate public speaking :no:

a couple years ago i took an astronomy course at the community college. i took it just for fun too, cuz i wanted to learn more about astronomy.

little did i know we'd have to give a presentation in front of the class for our final grade :yikes:

at least we were in groups of 3 or 4 so not one person had to speak the whole time, but still we had to speak at least 15-20 minutes each....i got so nervous, it was awful. the more i tried to calm myself down while i was speaking, the more nervous i seemed to get. at the end of our report, they said "you didn't have to get so nervous, it's just us" (meaning my fellow classmates who i'd been in the same class with all semester).

even now when i help out at the planetarium i love to run the star projector, but you will probably never see me speaking in front of the shows (even tho its dark in the planetarium and no one can see me, i still hate speaking in front of people) :reject: :angry:

I can't comfortably talk to more than 4 people at a time. :reject:
But I have to do it all the time at work. People are always telling me to speak up and I feel like I'm already yelling.

Wear a Ryan t-shirt and jeans and make some references to pop culture. They'll think you're cool. Because you are.

I should just show up drunk...I'll be loose as a goose! :wink:

It's tomorrow at 1:30...still not sure what I'm saying yet...but I'll figure it out! I always do.

I'm leaving in 2 hours...haven't written my speech yet. :uhoh:

I haven't even showered yet.

I should do that...that's more important. :up:

Back
Top Bottom