it's official # nasty storm headed our way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Hurricane Frances is approaching the Gulf Coast. The wind is picking up. At one of the sites where we hold our medieval faires, about two hours northeast of here, they have taken down the royal pavillion as a safety precaution. It's being reported that the wind is already ferocious there. We're closer to the Gulf than that place is, so I'm nervous about this storm. I hope it doesn't cause an outage. I'm not in the mood for an outage!:mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

PA is going to get lots of rain from this storm. We are going to be in a flood watch Wednesday and Thursday. I am praying for all the people that has been affected by this horrible storm.

:hug: verte :hug:

i heard on the weather channel that frances is going to turn into a rain maker as she moves up the coast.

then we've got crazy ivan lurking out there too where will it go next :huh:

We had an outage yesterday. :censored: :censored: It lasted ten hours. Ugh! The storm has moved in today and it's basically a bunch of rain. No high winds, thank goodness. It looks terrible out there.

and hurricane ivan drago is on it's way...

he will break you
dolph-m176.jpg

We had Hurricane Howard lurking off the Baja CA coast but I guess it drifted out to sea....still we have chance of moisture toward the end of the week...good luck to the East Coast and PA. :up:

Hurricane Howard gave us some nasty surf this weekend. Newport lifeguards reported over 300 rescues. I saw grown men get knocked over by the shorebreak!

i never even heard of hurricane howard. i guess everyone on the news here was too busy talking about frances and ivan. as far as headache's question:

http://www.komotv.com/asksteve/story.asp?ID=22185

Who Names Hurricanes?

SEATTLE - American forecasters began naming hurricanes in the Atlantic Ocean in 1953 (grabbing the idea from the U.S. military) after realizing calling a storm "Betsy" was easier in communicating than "that big storm at 32.3 degrees North and 74 degrees West".

The rest of the world eventually caught on, and naming rights now go by the World Meteorological Organization, which uses different sets of names depending on the part of the world the storm is in. Around the U.S., only women's names were used until 1979, when it was decided that there should be boy hurricanes too.

There's 6 different name lists that alternate each year. And if a hurricane does significant damage, its name is retired and replaced with another. As to who decides what name makes the list -- that is still a mystery.

Back
Top Bottom