It's Official#More Fun Spam Stories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
Man gets "spam rage" over penis ad
By Adam Tanner

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Call it spam rage: A Silicon Valley computer programmer has been arrested for threatening to torture and kill employees of the company he blames for bombarding his computer with Web ads promising to enlarge his penis.

In one of the first prosecutions of its kind in the state that made "road rage" famous, Charles Booher, 44, was arrested on Thursday and released on bail for making repeated threats to staff of a Canadian company between May and July.

Booher threatened to send a "package full of Anthrax spores" to the company, to "disable" an employee with a bullet and torture him with a power drill and ice pick; and to hunt down and castrate the employees unless they removed him from their e-mail list, prosecutors said.

He used return e-mail addresses including Satan@hell.org.

In a telephone interview with Reuters on Friday, Booher acknowledged that he had behaved badly but said his computer had been rendered almost unusable for about two months by a barrage of pop-up advertising and e-mail.

"Here's what happened: I go to their Web site and start complaining to them, would you please, please, please stop bothering me," he said. "It just sort of escalated ... and I sort of lost my cool at that point."

The Sunnyvale, California man now faces up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, with a preliminary hearing scheduled for next month on charges of threatening to injure someone. He said he did not own any guns or have access to anthrax.

Booher said the problem stemmed from a program he mistakenly downloaded from the Internet that brought a continuous stream of advertising to his computer.

The object of the Californian's anger was Douglas Mackay, president of DM Contact Management, which works for Albion Medical, a firm advertising the "Only Reliable, Medically Approved Penis Enhancement."

"This went for a long, long time. He seemed really dedicated to this," Mackay said from Victoria, British Columbia in Canada. "He seemed like a guy just crazy enough with nothing to lose that might actually do something."

He said his firm does not send spam but blamed a rival firm which he said routes much of their unsolicited bulk e-mail through Russia and eastern Europe. Mackay said such firms gave a bad name to the penis enhancement business.

In other cases, Internet vigilantes have bombarded spammers with both unsolicited e-mail and regular mail and phone calls, launched attacks on spammers' computers and posted spammers' personal information on the Internet, according to reports.

Separately, lawmakers in Washington said the U.S. House of Representatives was poised to vote for on a measure to outlaw most Internet spam. Lawmakers hope to pass a national anti-spam bill before a much tougher California state law goes into effect on January 1.

Yeah, really. I hate these damn ads but it's insane to act like that. I know how frustrating it must be to practically have these ads monopolizing your computer. Some "penis-enlargement" company even hijacked an ice dancing web site. Exasperating to say the least.

Last edited:
:up: Charles Booher :up:

He's my new hero.

I hate being bombarded by penis spam ... :angry:

I am a girl ... I have no need for these products ...

Can't these people get a mailing list of men?

Marketing 101: Know your target audience.

I'm studying marketing, and it's been proven that spam is actually detrimental to your company. It gives you a terrible brand image and people just want to kill you, not buy from you.

Common sense really! I just don't understand why these :censored: spammers don't get it........:angry:

Edited to say......I too am a girl and get bombarded with 'enlarge your penis' mails, and 'hot britney action' mails as well. Not impressed.

bammo2 said:
I'm studying marketing, and it's been proven that spam is actually detrimental to your company. It gives you a terrible brand image and people just want to kill you, not buy from you.

Common sense really! I just don't understand why these :censored: spammers don't get it........:angry:

BUT...what you don't realize or have learned is that it is an cost-effective way to market. It costs these companies VERY little to send out millions of e-mails. And there are people who respond to them.

Theses companies don't care about what YOU think of them. All they care about is if even 1/2 of 1% (which would be a HUGE amount compared to the number of e-mails sent) respond and purchase, it was worth their time to send the e-mail.

Unless you start spending money (to purchase lists and filtering systems), which many of these companies are not willing to do, there is no way to target e-mail to males or females.

What needs to be done....the people who respond to these e-mails need to be collected and dumped into a vat of tar on a windy day in a thorn field.

zoney! said:
What needs to be done....the people who respond to these e-mails need to be collected and dumped into a vat of tar on a windy day in a thorn field.

We can do that after the Chineese Water Torture

:drool:
:huh:

zoney! said:

BUT...what you don't realize or have learned is that it is an cost-effective way to market. It costs these companies VERY little to send out millions of e-mails. And there are people who respond to them.

Oh, we did learn that email is the cheapest form of direct marketing. however....

"Spam makes you look cheap and sleazy in the eyes of many people online. Regardless of how targeted, relevant or informative you think your message is, unless the recipient specifically agreed to receive the information, you risk alienating a portion of your audience" (quote from the chartered institute of marketing)

I realise that it will always continue whilst people (may they burn in hell) reply to spam. However, by spamming people, they have instantly lost any potential for a good, reputable business. Unfortunately, these guys don't give a shit about any of that. As long as they make a bit of cash, they're happy

:angry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom