It's official - MARLEY IS BETTER!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
not Bob Marley, silly...

Well I don't know if I posted about this because I've been limiting my online time...but I've got a story to tell..

But a few weeks back my 2 yr old lab X named Marley (yes, after Bob lol) got into the shed and ate RAT POISONING. I think it must've happened around a Monday or Tuesday...anyways by Wednesday he wasn't eating a thing..well he sometimes does this hunger strike thing in protest over dry dog food, so usually I just stick it out and let him get hungry enough to eat again, which *normally* works out fine. But in this case he just didn't eat for days. Then by Friday he started dry vomiting so I took him to the vet, and the vet thought he might have a stomach virus, and prescribed anti-biotics. Well that just made the problem worse, so that night I stayed up with him as long as I could and fell asleep on the couch. When I woke up he was passed out on the floor with a large pool of blood coming out of his mouth. I tried to wake him but all he could do was open his eyes and twitch his tail a bit, couldn't even lift his head up or stand up.

So I gathered him up and took him to the emergency animal hospital, where they did some tests and determined that his blood was super thin and his blood count was almost nil. In other words he was on death's door. The only thing that could be possible is poisoning, and they asked me if we had laid any rat poisoning on our property anywhere (which we had, in the shed). If anyone knows what Wayfarin does, imagine that done to your dog. Now that I've seen it first hand, I don't even believe a rat deserves that kind of death. It slowly thins the blood and then induces internal hemoragging until the animal is dead. Have you ever seen what a rat looks like that has died from it? Well by Saturday night Marley was close to that. His body was shrivelled, basically skin and bones, and his head looked like it was shrinking around his skull.

They said that if I didn't act fast, he was a goner. And it wasn't going to be a pretty death either. I had the choice to order massive blood transfusions and Vitamin K shots to try and get his blood system working again. They gave him a 40% chance of living, but if he did, a 100% chance of a full recovery. The only catch: it was gonna cost like mucho $$. College fund - style $$. It was surreal how they put it to me, like an option or something. I think I got a flash of what private health care for humans would be like. At any rate this was not a natural happening and I just couldn't bear to see him suffer or put him down for what basically amounted to our negligence, so I went ahead with the treatment. They gave him 2 transfusions and lots of Vit K. Then about 4 am he started bleeding from the mouth again. The vet wanted to give him more blood but they had run out. So one of the nurses went home and got her dog and brought it in to donate blood so that Marley could live. I couldn't believe all this was happening and how much they all became attached to Marley. It's like everyone was pulling for him.

Marley eventually pulled through, the fighter that he is. He was sent home two days later and his blood count kept rising and just yesterday I got the final test back that his coagulation has returned to normal and he is fully recovered. He still gets 4 Vit K pills per day (down from 8) and he sleeps a bit more than normal but he's bulking up again, eating like a horse, and back to his usual naughtiness.

So it's Official: Marley is better. I'm so happy, he had just turned 2 and was just leaving that whole bad puppy thing that is so typical of Labs behind (actually thats how he got into the poison, because I was giving him more freedom and hence access to the shed). I was so heartbroken that his life was going to be cut short so early but it looks like he is gonna be my pal for a good few more years to come! :)

Just a warning to anyone who has a rat problem: take a lesson from my stupidity: rat poison is fatal to animals, and you definately wouldn't want your kids getting at it. If you really need to kill them, use the traditional old rat trap. Believe me, a broken neck (basically an instant death) is to me far more humane than that poison.

Ok if I do this right...Gabriel's dog!!!!

Attachments

• marleypuppy.jpg
    marleypuppy.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
And if I do it right again...another picture!!!!!

Attachments

• marleyshoe.jpg
    marleyshoe.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Yay Marley!

Very :cute: pics! I like how he's looking right into the camera in the first pic.

Wow. Pretty scary stuff. Glad Marley was tough enough to pull through. :hug:

Our little Bodie got a hold of a brick of mouse poison when he was about 3 years old. I saw he had something bright blue that he was carrying around in his mouth. I thought it was one of the blue toilet tank cleaner tablets. Anyway, I took it away and realized what it was. We quick called the local vet (we weren't at home at the time.) He said to give him about 1/2 cup of Hydogen Peroxide mixed with 1/2 cup of water. He drank it and it made him throw up any poison that he had consumed. Needless to say, he was fine. We were lucky that we saw him with it before it was too late. :)

GAH!

Apparently being better also means a return to some real naughty habits...like finding my shoes good for chewing on!! grr...

Well I'll take it....kinda cute actually...in a frustrating kinda way..lol..

G

awww...I'm so glad he's better Gabriel :) I had a pet emergency a while back which was all the vets fault, but he acted like is was mine...but kitty is back to her old self...also sinking back into her old habits...lol.

oh yeah the pics are so cute :)...I miss my lab mix...they are cute little devils, but boy do they love to chew! One time Rosie chewed a hole right through the new drywall we had put up. The vet suggested this spray to deter her from chewing...haha...she just thought it made everything taste better :ohmy: :lol:

Lori :mac:

Lemon Meringue said:
LOL! We had a dog that ate the walls too!!! I wonder why they do that???

we should have called Rosie Hoover, because she would chew/eat anything she could get her teeth on! One time she ate some nickels and quarters my dad left on the kitchen table...that dog was a riot.

Lori :mac:

Back
Top Bottom