It's Official! I need a theme!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daafish

Refugee
OK gang, here's the situation. I just got back into school so that i could finish my art degree. As it turns out I need a few more art electives then I thought. So, I've decided to add Individual Studies to my schedule, again. Last time I did a dance theme where I painted representations of a few ballroom dances.

What theme should I do this time? Give me some suggestions. If you wanna look at my art, either check out my Journal or My space.

thanks! :happy:

Back in school when I did art we had a topic called the good, the bad and the ugly. I chose money for that one.

Ham is okay, I think cheese is better though :drool:

I'd like to thank everyone that has contributed to any ideas. SO far I have this to choose from:

Ham - tasty

Ladies Lips - probably my favorite feature...Lips and eyes ftw! :drool:

Views on society, cultures - good one and has been a consideration for study. Nice for gaining insight into other cultures.

The good, the bad, and the ugly - interesting, I could see this being a possibility too...perhaps the subject could relate to one of the other suggestions

Cats, Fish, Lemondrops, and old shoes - hehe...makes me think of the suggestion above plus "the odd man out" So, which is the good, the bad, and the ugly? :p

I'll gladly take a theme song....perhaps it'll fit in somewhere. :)

a couple my space suggestions:

Music - like a band playing a show or people listening

Nature - plenty of subject matter

sci-fi/fantasy - one of my online CoH(superheroes)/WoW(D&D like) friends suggested doing some artwork from these two games. As I like both, it's a definate possibliity

Heroes vs. Villains - another Online friend from CoH suggestion. At first I thought he was just refering to CoH but he actually expanded it to mean such things as Cops vs Robbers, Firefighters vs Arsonists, etc. This one I really like and I feel that I can tie many of the other suggestions into this one as well.

If anyone has anymore please speak your mind, I will need to have my decision by Tuesday...that is tomorrow!

OH i have one! Late as usual...
What about light? Like...different sources of it? And here's the kicker, you're not allowed to use white paint :evil:
Okay, the last part I stole from a professor...but I think that would be a neat touch.

redhotswami said:
OH i have one! Late as usual...
What about light? Like...different sources of it? And here's the kicker, you're not allowed to use white paint :evil:
Okay, the last part I stole from a professor...but I think that would be a neat touch.

sounds like a good study project. no white paint eh? Let the canvas do the talkin, sounds like what you do in watercolor. When I took illustration we couldn't use black...we had to mix our paints to make our darks/black.

daafish said:

sounds like a good study project. no white paint eh? Let the canvas do the talkin, sounds like what you do in watercolor. When I took illustration we couldn't use black...we had to mix our paints to make our darks/black.

yeah it was pretty cool actually!! the key is to use the lightest yellow you can find, and then make everything else a bit darker than usual. it's like your are creating the light yourself almost! ...k i don't know if that made sense, but you're an artist, so you'll probably understand what i mean.

redhotswami said:

yeah it was pretty cool actually!! the key is to use the lightest yellow you can find, and then make everything else a bit darker than usual. it's like your are creating the light yourself almost! ...k i don't know if that made sense, but you're an artist, so you'll probably understand what i mean.

I did....I was thinking yellow the whole time :) I would imagine there being some dark purples as well...that would help to make the yellow highlights pop.

Animals in different weather conditions, a abstract family portrait, Celebrities in funny situations (using either oils or watercolor paints), Abstract versions of plants, People Sleeping, on the computer or acting like couchpotatos, Sports related things

That's all I can think of at the moment :shrug:

I do! but not just for the superhero or fantasy aspect. This type of heroes vs villains idea could something like cops vs robbers, or firefighters vs arsonists, or perhaps cats vs dogs. :) Also, I can see incorporating some of the other ideas into this as well. should be fun.

Have you thought about just using heroes or villians? Doesn't have to be a verse type thing...it could be a villian in his lair or a cop saving someone.

If you wanted....you could do something 9/11 related and do a nice one on firefighters, medical people or police who were there. Or just everyday normal heroes (Doesn't have to be 9/11 related....could be a guy carrying someone with a disability up the stairs or a guy getting a cat from a tree or even kids helping other kids with their homeworks). :shrug:

Good points. I have thought about everyday people doing something heroic or even have the painting give the emotion of criminal and/or heroism. Thanks, you gave me a few more things to think about

juxtaposition. really test and flex your imagination and creativity with this. the subjects are secondary to how they work (or dont work, as the case may be) with each other. think dada meets surrealism.

look up an australian artist by the name of james gleeson.
http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/gleeson/

Thx for the link on Gleeson. Always been a fan of surrealism. Reminds of a painting I did years ago.

Surrealoil.jpg

Back
Top Bottom