It's Official #I Know You Are But What Am I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
squirrel.jpg

Did someone say accent????!!??!!!!???

did you once say you had a soft spot for Bristol in the South Western area of England H-Angel? my memory is playing tricks if not :huh:

many English guys are going to love your accent Megan..just warning you :D

Acro my dear,

What do British men think of American-accented women? I hear British men don't like American women. :(

I do have a soft spot for Bristol :) Trip-hop originated there I believe. I have a soft spot for England, actually. My ancestors are from there and anything British in unendingly fascinating to me.

But the British accent... *faints :drool: :heart:

Bristol has some fantastic musical roots..and many bands that played a part in the Bristol sound..Portishead..and especially one of my favourite bands Massive Attack. I feel ashamed to say I haven't been there in years though..its a 1 1/2 hour drive so I should really make an effort to see how its changed since I last went..should do more often because its the closest any bands ever tour when they venture down this way...

I think American accents are a very appealing alternative to what we hear day in and day out..maybe because they sound far more comforting, pleasant, and a little more welcoming than what we are used to~we have a few American contacts where I work and they really are a pleasure to talk to (and I've never been comfortable with phone conversations)..and a welcome change...English accents for me do have a slight solid, stubborn..and dare I say cold feel to them not necessarily in a bad way...I guess it works vice versa..something fresh and different to what you have grown used to is normally always appealing. I imagine numerous opposing articles, and endless questionnaires with fluctuating results will never provide a definative answer. I can probably only generalize as well as a magazine article can but from personal experience here there are many English guys who can't get enough of you American ladies :D

..me being one :yes:

..of course along with Italian, French, Aussie, Irish......Scottish......

ACROB@T said:
from personal experience here there are many English guys who can't get enough of you American ladies :D
Umm...*looks around the streets of London.... :shrug: :banghead: And they'd be located....??? ;)

So, where exactly are YOU located then? :sexywink:

I love greenland accents

DROOL!!!

those women can tie me up in their greenland ropes anytime!!:sexywink:

Accents?

Well I heard various accents of Brit English (irish, scottish..) and the southern US accent, "sula" minnesota accent, Brooklyn accent (errr - the one used in "The nanny"?), french accent. But i enjoy listening to your BBC English too.

I dunno - I like hearing various accents - in general US English sounds more fluent to me, though I really like to hear English accents.

My fave non-native accent is French accent. I heard two musicians in an interview who were French and their English was :cute:

My fave native accent is the Irish one.

wow! I didn't know Europeans, etc liked the American accent! I assumed everyone hated it - like it was boring or something.

Maja, I bet you have a lovely accent when speaking English.

Originally posted by jkayet
Umm...*looks around the streets of London.... :shrug: :banghead: And they'd be located....??? ;)

So, where exactly are YOU located then? :sexywink:

I can only speak from personal experience, and people I've met and known....me live down in the ole South West corner in Somerset County...

Originally posted by Sxreaming Flower
acro you're such a pimp

...undeniably..depends what angle you were going for..I could deal in pimping pommies over to your side of the pond for no extra fee..discount for you Screamin...I have one in stock as we speak..slight cross between Damon Albarn/Fran Healey....Chris Martin's voice thrown in to...over to you by Christmas if you wish..under the tree and all that...even throw in a complimentary Scott Stapp real life figurine to plant on top of you Canadian Christmas tree..arms can extend to Jesus pose if you have a small screwdriver handy..temptation be warned

~*~
:wave: What if you're in hell, and you're mad at someone, where do you tell them to go?

ACROB@T said:

~*~
:wave: What if you're in hell, and you're mad at someone, where do you tell them to go?

well, if you're in hell, and they're in hell too - i don't think you'd have the right to get mad and ask them to leave. :huh:

ACROB@T said:
a complimentary Scott Stapp real life figurine

many sizes aside from real life..mini Stapps for your decoration needs..and Stapp candy to give Christmas a certain fabrique belgique

Re: Accents?

U2girl said:
Brooklyn accent (errr - the one used in "The nanny"?), french accent.

My fave native accent is the Irish one.

I love New Yorker accents too. They're so cute.

There are diff. kinds of Irish accents, but the one I actually like is Paul McGuiness'. :uhoh: It sounds sooo dignified. ;)

Hmm...just remembered what this English guy asked me, "Do you have a ta'oo?" Eh? But...:flirt:

that was one of your best posts ever.

ACROB@T said:
...undeniably..depends what angle you were going for..I could deal in pimping pommies over to your side of the pond for no extra fee..discount for you Screamin...I have one in stock as we speak..slight cross between Damon Albarn/Fran Healey....Chris Martin's voice thrown in to...over to you by Christmas if you wish..under the tree and all that...even throw in a complimentary Scott Stapp real life figurine to plant on top of you Canadian Christmas tree..arms can extend to Jesus pose if you have a small screwdriver handy..temptation be warned

if you could pommie express such a boy to me by christmas i would gladly put scott stapp on top of my canadian christmas tree.

:drool: :heart: :drool: :heart: :drool:

HelloAngel said:
wow! I didn't know Europeans, etc liked the American accent! I assumed everyone hated it - like it was boring or something.

Maja, I bet you have a lovely accent when speaking English.

Yes we do! BTW also I heard the Australian accent so far too.

As for my accent :shrug: when i met Sula she said, and I quote "I don't think i heard that kind of accent before". Yes she could tell I'm an European, but it had something different to it....you know?

*edited to add* On one hand I studied Brit English at school, and now at the course, on the other hand, my speaking could have been influenced by movies, so there might be a touch of US prononciation...

Last edited:
I love hearing from the non-Americans about how the American accent is perceived.

A good friend of mine here in Florida is from the North of England and he says that he finds the American accent more "proper," and that alot of times, he finds the English accent cold, snobby and sloppy on some occasions.

I just didn't know any of this!! I've been too busy drooling over European and Aussie accents my whole life! :lol: :combust:

i guess i have a southern accent. it depends on my mood and whom i am talking with. if i am talking with people who were born and raised in the Southeast, my accent tends to come out and will stick with me for days. haha

i have been told by many that my voice is very nice on the phone. and because of this it has now turned into joke around my office because i can somehow turn most of the jerks on the phone into a puddle after they talk to me. hahah..my manager thinks i moonlight as a phone sex operator. :lol:

I don't know what my voice sounds like, sexy-wise..

I remember when I was little, and I'd hear my voice played back on an answering machine or some tape recorder or something.. I'd be all like, "that's not what I sound like!!" :mad: :der: :eek:

Everyone in IO likes you walkron! I love all the people here. I dont think anyone doesn't like anyone else here, cos we are all such shiny happy people :) :wave:

I gots a question about an American accent, dont know if this will make any sense so that anyone can answer, but there is this one accent some of you guys have and it is really neutral. Its very...educated and flowing kinda....I was showing my mum a dvd the other day with John Voight in it, I dont know where he comes from but I think he has it, mum says its the mid west. I cant think of anyone else offhand who might have it so this is prolly a non question. But I like it anyway.
:hmm:

Chicago is mid west
Boston maybe

irish and english accents mmm mmm mmm
being a non american, i do like american accents.
i think we are just very used to them from television thats all. but hearing one in the flesh is cool.
its people like fran drescher who give yank accents a bad name lol
shes your steve irwin :scream:

Back
Top Bottom