It's official...i intimidate guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2andPolitix

The Fly
in my near 18 years of living on this planet i have not had a boyfriend, a kiss, or as far as i know even a crush. i'm not ugly, but i'm not pretty, i'm right in the middle. my friends would tell you i've got a great personality and a sense of humor. though...i am EXTREMELY opinionated, but i accept differing opinions without forcing mine down other people's throats. some people think that i am so opinionated (politically wise) that i may actually intimidate guys and that's why i've been single for over 17 years. i wanted to get a response from a more broad group of people and see what y'all think.

Hey yknow I didnt really start dating until I was your age. It's good that you are not just jumping into any relationship or just kissing guys for the hell of it. Wait for the right person, it will happen you are still so young! :)

You just discribed my youth. Im also opinionated as all hell. When I was at Uni I was always into the Amnesty, Greenpeace, etc events and protests. Unfortunately I went to a very conservative Uni and Perth is a very suburban place so I was out on my own. Eventually I found some like minded people to hang with and then eventually the boys started asking me out. If you cant understand why you are not attracted to any of the boys you know, change your friends. Is there a particular political party you are into? Do they have a youth league thingie? Is there a little bookshop that specalises in the things that you are into? Do they have a pinup board with notice of events, etc.

What Im trying to say is its not you its them. I was called a Militant Feminist, Tree Hugger, you name it. Some of the boys at my Uni even ganged up on me once and pushed me up against a wall and demanded to know if I was an ASIO agent (our equivalent of CIA, FBI) as I stood out like such a sore thumb at my Uni with all my 'Free Nelson Mandela' etc that I must have been a really bad, really under researched agent. Go figure.

Dont think about them. Find where your people run. If your not the footy watching, lets get plastered all weekend so I dont have to actually communicate with people, suburban type, give up. Really I mean it. Its the most difficult lesson I had to learn was that I was not going to fit in everywhere. Just find a nice warm pocket of like minded friends and they will give you the strength to put up with the day to day idiots.

My apologies to people who like mass mentality. If it works for you fine, but it doesnt work for everyone. </rant>

I still intimidate most men. But I have one of my own so it doesnt matter any more. As you get older you will find that some of these people will change, some wont, but some will and things get easier.

Anyway, my apologies for rabbiting on. Hang in there and go actively find where the types of people you like hang, and join them.

I'm 19, going 20 in June, and I also haven't had a kiss or girlfriend... nothing
I got that problem that a lot of men do... I'M THE FRIEND... it really sucks

I think I gave a goodbye kiss to a 6 year old friend of mine in the last day of kindergarden... I was 5

At least you're a woman... like Seinfeld said: where there's a woman, we got a man in the case :wink:

I have successfully kept my children single, we have no grandkids and by the time we do, we will be grandparent age... LOL

I am glad ur are single; don't rush to attachment! my boys are 25, 19 and 16...all quite eligible but pleasantly unattached...nothing wrong with that!!!

:up:

Mr. BAW said:

I am glad ur are single; don't rush to attachment! my boys are 25, 19 and 16...all quite eligible but pleasantly unattached...nothing wrong with that!!!

I agree. Where I'm from, virtually everyone was married or engaged by the time they were 20, at the latest. I always felt like a massive freak, but since I left university, I realized that most people aren't like that, and there are loads of people who haven't had a relationship in a while, or ever, who are older. My fiance didn't have a girlfriend until me, and he's the most perfect guy I can imagine. My best friend is a couple of years older than me and single and she's absolutely gorgeous, hilarious, very smart, and the nicest, most caring person in the world. Being single doesn't mean anything's wrong with you, it just means that you haven't met someone you can connect with yet. If you do intimidate people, they most likely don't know you very well, and probably wouldn't feel the same way if they did (I've been told a lot that I'm intimidating at first and come off as a snob or a bitch because I'm so quiet, so it works both ways, I guess!). I think it's better to be single forever than try to force yourself to like people you don't or to kiss someone you're not interested in just because you feel too old to not have kissed anyone, and then end up beating yourself up with regret and wondering what's wrong with you. Not that I'd know anything about that. :reject::silent:

meegannie said:
I think it's better to be single forever than try to force yourself to like people you don't or to kiss someone you're not interested in just because you feel too old to not have kissed anyone, and then end up beating yourself up with regret and wondering what's wrong with you.

:up:

sure i wonder when/if i'll find someone, but for the most part i'm happy being single. and like you said, i'd definitely rather be single and happy than with someone i don't really like and misreable.

18 is SO young...you really shouldn't be worried about this yet. It will happen when the time is right.

I had a chance meeting with an adorable 23 year old girl this weekend...we started talking at a bar and as the evening wore on, she confessed that she had been secretly married for 2 months. She hadn't told her parents or any of her friends yet because they went to Vegas on the spur of the moment and her family would be very upset at not being invited. The longer we talked, the more obvious it became that she was very unhappy. She finally admitted that they only got married because he was her first boyfriend...even though he keeps dumping her and sending her back to her parents, she went through with it...when he asked her to go to Vegas, she said yes even though she knew it wasn't going to work. She settled for someone who doesn't treat her well because she was convinced she'd never find anyone else.

The saddest part of the conversation was when I asked her where her husband was, she said she didn't know. It was 8:30 on a Saturday night and she was sitting alone at a bar :(

Please...take your time and don't settle for someone just to avoid being alone.

considering i just broke up with my girlfriend, i wouldn't necesarily be the best for this post...

but when i was 18 (i'm only twenty one), i hadn't either. i had to wait till i was 19 for the first, and then that was a long-dist. thing. then i just had a little two month relationship that was more of a pain than anything. i still wouldn't worry though, it seems as if as soon as one stops worrying about where the boys or girls are, one pops up. i think it's how one's mood is when you don't constantly think of the lonliness or whatnot, but either way, i wish you well. i know your predicament. most of the time i'm too outgoing (except on this board!) and seem to frighten away others, but, strangely enough, the meekest of girls. that never works for me.

Hello, my name is Jessica, and I am single ...

Yeah, I'm single and have been for quite a while. I guess for the most part I don't mind it, but there are certainly times when it sucks. Anyway, all that matters is that you seek your own happiness, and that can certainly be done on your own.

50 Best Things About Being Single

meegannie said:

I agree. Where I'm from, virtually everyone was married or engaged by the time they were 20, at the latest. I always felt like a massive freak, but sinae I left university, I realized that most people aren't like that, and there are loads of people who haven't had a relationship in a while, or ever, who are older.

HA.

Seriously. I've been to maybe 15-20 weddings in the past four years. Of my good friends, only two are not married, and one of them has a serious (=soon to be engaged) girlfriend. I've felt the pressure to keep up, but why should I? ForCing it will only make it worse.

All this to say, you are far too young to worry about being single. As for the opinionated part, it probably doesn't matter all that muCh. I know some guys might not like someone who is aggressive and always saying what they think, but there are some guys that probably would like it. I think what you don't want to do is not give them a ChanCe to say what they think too. They don't want to be dominated in that way.

Other than that, Carry on and don't give up hope. Someone will Come along. Happy endings are out there!

Last edited:
I know!

It even did it to me when I was trying to look up info on CoaChella today on Tiaketmaster.

It Came out as Coaahella

!*@*!@*)(

Time to empty out my prefs folder and my Cookies.

Last edited:
thanks for all this support! don't get me wrong i feel so free and SANE being single. whenever my friends have boyfriends and i watch their relationships there are so many times when i feel like i really don't want that. but at the same time, i just want to experience it to see what the big deal is. but i'm not worried about it i just wanted to hear broad opinions.

I think it is my girlish squeels that intimidate them

I hate intimidated MANY men before!
49_49.gif

Hey, some guys consider strong political opinions as a sign of maturity. I've intimidated guys too. My last b/f was a :censored: unfortunately. Don't force it. :hug:

meegannie said:
My best friend is a couple of years older than me and single and she's absolutely gorgeous, hilarious, very smart, and the nicest, most caring person in the world.
:sad: :hug: Aww, I'm gonna cry here...
So does that mean your plans to auction me off fell through? ;)

I agree with everyone here. While being single can be frustrating sometimes, believe me I know, I still think I shouldn't force anything or settle. It certainly won't make you a happier person to go for someone just to have a boyfriend. I say, enjoy your youth! ;)

(what was that, norma? i said 'enjoy your youth!' - sorry, inside joke :reject: )

Back
Top Bottom