It's Official I am Hooked on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this the Bravo reality show? Or am I COMPLETELY lost?

Quite a turn for me....Since moving, I have only watched TV when staying in a hotel room. I don't even have my TV plugged in.

I haven't seen it, but my gay friends hate it and from what I've read about it, I don't blame them.

yertle-the-turtle said:
yes I'm curious

I read the thred backwards, knowing what the show was about.

I am sorry Yertle, but I just about fell on the fllor laughing when I read this. I am SURE you did not mean this statement in the same context that I read it in. :lol:

I think it is WAY too fast, but, hopefully, it will help straight guys realize that they have something in common with gay guys. I don't know; I doubt too many "straight" guys watch Bravo anyway. :sexywink:

Melon

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

How come? What have you read about it?

I've only seen one episode but I loved it. Good tips, funny, and the guy looked pretty good in the end.

Because it presents gays as prissy stereotypes. And straight men as stupid. I guess. I don't know--I haven't seen it. Of course stereotypes exist but it doesn?t serve the gay community in a homophobic society to constantly present only these stereotypes without balancing it out with non-stereotypes. Within my large group of gay friends, not one of them is a decorator, stylist or hairdresser. They are clinical nutritionists, mortgage loan officers, gardeners, landscapers, publishers, editors, writers, dentists. ?Six Feet Under? is the only show I?ve seen that presents a nice range and balance of realistic gay people (but I haven?t seen ?Queer as Folk? which apparently is really great, too).

Here's an excerpt from the Village Voice that presents a pretty balanced review of the show, written by a gay man--not negative at all, actually, but interesting, and I guess this excerpt outlines my concern. But the review also offers many positives about the show, so I'm interested to see it (when I renew my cable in the fall):

But then, Queer Eye isn't really about getting a sartorial education. The makeover is just the surface of this spectacle. Its deeper draw is the relationship between two seemingly antagonistic types. Here, straight guys let down their guard before a squad of swishies and welcome the results. I suppose it's a sign of progress that this interchange looks plausible, but it's a measure of how far we haven't come that the meeting must be staged on stereotypical ground.

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0330/goldstein.php

Okay, I just posted a big long thing over there but somehow it's not there. :yell:

Back
Top Bottom