It's Official Going to D.C.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
What to do?

I have to travel the D.C. area the first week of December. I will be staying in Reston and have meeting starting Monday December 1 at 6:00 pm. However, I will be arriving a day early - so Monday is a free day.

My question to all you out in IO land - what should I do in DC? I haven't been their since 7th grade. What are the best things to see, do, eat, etc.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

:yes:

You should try to get to the Smithsonian,The National Museum of Art and try to see the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and the Constitution. :yes:

For most of the "big" places (FBI, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, etc.), you need tickets and it's really too late to get them now. But those places are no fun anyway. ;) If you call your member of Congress, they can give you information on the tour policies at all the monuments and sites. The Holocaust Museum is AMAZING. The Library of Congress is gorgeous too. The new spy museum is supposed to be good, but you have to pay (I think $11) for tickets. As for places to eat, I really don't know since I just work in DC and don't live there, but the Capital City Brewing Company right next to Union Station is pretty good, and fairly cheap (I ate lunch there today. :) ). I recommend the Adams Morgan area for food, though, because there are so many different ethnic restaurants. Georgetown has some nice places too, but it's a little more expensive.

Sparkysgrrrl said:
The Smithsonian
The Smithsonian
The Smithsonian
The Smithsonian
The Smithsonian

The Smithsonian is wonderful... and the Lincoln Monument too!

I don't believe in zoos (I'm a vegetarian and can't stand beautiful caged animals) but I understand they have a good one!

Have fun!! :wave:

The Spy Museum is great. Yup, I think the tickets cost $11. The line gets really long, but it moves quickly. I think Joan Mir?'s painted sculpture is still on exhibit at the Corcoran Gallery and it's pretty interesting. Entrance is $5 and there should be more than one exhibit at a time.

Shopping...it's better to the outlets in Virginia like Potomac Mills. Taxes are lower in VA. I'm not sure if you even have time to go shopping though.

Georgetown is expensive, but an interesting little town. ;) The shops and apartments are very quaint. Some streets even still have cobble stones and railroad tracks. ;) A lot of people say it looks very European (I think the place was actually designed by a Frenchman). There are different kinds of restaurants here (French, Italian, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Indian, American, etc., etc.). Take a stroll down the Washington Harbour. There are outdoor bars facing the Potomac River. You can try the Sequoia restaurant there too. BTW, the house where the "The Exorcist" was filmed is here in Georgetown (on M Street). You can also check out the Washington National Cathedral. It's not that old though, so not much history, I think :der:, but it's nice. There are historic houses too, like the Old Stone House which is right smack in Georgetown. Entrance is free. It's interesting to see it next to the restos and shops. There are also mule-drawn boat rides, which carry park visitors on the C & O canal. There are art galleries in Georgetown too.

Adams Morgan is an ethnic neighborhood. There are lots of bars and restaurants there too. Dupont Circle is great (it reminds me of the Village in NYC). There are shops, small movie theatres, bars, and a nice bookstore called Kramerbooks. This neighborhood's close to the Embassy Row. Like Georgetown, there are a lot of good places there to eat (La Tomate, Teaism, Bistrot du Coin, Raku, etc.).

If you like animals, you can go to the National Zoo at Woodley Park.

Alright, I've rambled. Anyway, if you have any questions or wanna meet up, just PM me. :wave: Have fun!

Last edited:
The Zoo in Washington is free, that's why I like it, otherwise I wouldn't pay to see animals in cages, but I am interested in knowing how the different zoo's are kept, and what condition they are in etc.
So it being free makes that a lot easier.

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! I'll have to tell my boss that I will be a day late for the meetings so I can take in all the sites. :up: :up:

Thank you again my friends.

Reston - my former company had HQ there.

Check and see if a cool show is playing at the 9:30 Club. I think it is the best venue I have seen a show at in the country.

The company was pretty cool too.

zonelistener said:
Check and see if a cool show is playing at the 9:30 Club. I think it is the best venue I have seen a show at in the country.

I love National Gallery too...right by all the Smithsonians. A peaceful diversion from mass crowds. :)

Back
Top Bottom