It's Official: Fans Think U2 are "Sell Outs"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
I hate the term "sell out".

Haven't we all "sold out"? We got a job. We exchanged our skills, services or talents for $$. Isn't that "selling out" by some definition?

If a painter sells his painting for $20K, is that selling out?

If a person has tons of $$ and then does an ad or speaks up for something or someone he/she believes in, is that selling out?

I was in a chat room and people were saying how they like the new U2 album, but they "sold out big time" due to the iTunes/iPod ad.

This annoyed me to no end. When I stated my views, I was accused of being "biased". Oh, so I can't see the truth any more? If I like U2, then clearly I can't see the truth. :rolleyes:

Why is it O.K. for Bon Jovi to do a battery commercial? Why is it acceptable to see Lenny Kravitz doing GAP Jeans commercials? When Madonna, Michael Jackson and Britney Spears all did Pepsi commercials, I heard no one scream "sell out!" Yet, for U2, the argument has dogged them their entire career.

In 1987, U2 came across all pious and holier than thou, and people loved them. Still, I heard "sell out" back then as U2 were suddenly popular and thus "too commercial". But those who loved U2 in '87, come 1992, with ZOO TV, suddenly these people screamed "sell out". Why? Because U2 acted like rock stars. Because they had U2 condoms. Those who dared to accept the ZOO, then screamed "sell out" when U2 announced the PopMart tour at a K-Mart. And if they didn't scream "sell out" then, they yelled it with ATYCLB, as U2 dared to sound like U2.

Now, of course, U2 are doing an ia Tunes/iPod commercial - and this must be selling out. Because why would U2 use their own music to advertise their own single/album that you can buy at a digital music store? Clearly that must be selling out. And why would U2 use their own music to advertise their own music-listening device? Clearly that must be selling out. No $$ exchanged hands, yet clearly U2 "sold out". U2 found a way to advertise their music at a music store. But wait, U2 have done this before - what's the difference? Seems that it's selective memory. Best Buy ad featuring U2? No problem. iTunes ad featuring U2? How dare they?! :mad:

If this is the definition of "selling out", then haven't all artists sold out? Any artist that had his/her/their work advertised in any medium most have sold out. If they appeared on a TV or radio show promoting their music, they must have sold out. If their music appeared in a movie, they must have sold out. Yet, I don't see or hear this argument. All I see/hear are people screaming that U2 "sold out" because of iTunes.

So I ask the die-hard fanatics here. Are U2 "sell outs"? Would the JT era U2 do this commercial?

Seems to me that U2 sold out during the JT era the most, with their more accessible music, their image, their magazine articles, their "giving the public what they want" attitude. U2 wanted to be cool - look cool and sound cool - so they said all the right things and acted the right way. Yet I can't help but wonder how much of that JT-era U2 was "real". Seems to me that the U2 we are seeing now is the most "real" U2 ever. And yet now it's deemed U2 are the "sell outs". Hmmm... :hmm:

Last edited:
come on the fan joke wasn't that bad! no one laughs at my jokes anymore. that would make me sad, except i know they're really shit and i don't laugh at them either.

but the fan comment stays.

are you not afraid your computer may one day eat you?

are you not afraid that your air conditioner may be plotting your downfall at THIS VERY MOMENT?????????????

are you not afraid? are you?

because i am. :|

I hate the term too. I run an alternative music store in the UK, and the amount of times ive heard the 'sold-out' phrase attributed to many bands, I couldnt tell you. Far, far too many!

Angela Harlem said:
for fucks sake john, this is io.
!!!!!!!!

Like OMG!!!11 Iluuuuvemesome U2!!@! IM like theirBiggestFAN!!!!!LOL! ROFL! SoKEEPthis like, NONthinking, Dude,Yo!!@!

Is this the wrong forum for this topic? :reject:
Sorry to strain you.

And I'm sorry, I don't have "frozen boobs" to discuss - I'll work on that for your next "it's official" shallow topic. :wave:

I guess I just wanted to state that I'm now seeing this "sell out" claim EVERYWHERE. Therefore, "it's official" - people now think U2 are sell outs, regardless of counter evidence. But clearly this thread requires far too much thinking.

Sicy, you can close.

Last edited:
Spearhead's People In The Middle really is one of the most thought-provoking songs ever. :D

So tell me the definition of a sell-out
Cast your first stone but then get the hell out
People say they know me I can tell you that they don't
People say they own me I can tell you that they won't

:up:

doctorwho said:
Oh, don't mind me... you'll usually find me haunting the charts/sales forum. But I do pop into the EYKIW and WTAHNN forums. And when I want to see pictures, I luvres me some PLEBA! :yes:

but where is YOUR pic ?

I have sold out in that I have a job.

At the same time, I have a job where I can essentially come and go and am not bound by some sort of sick 9-5 rule. I have no idea how you guys with strict schedules do it. It's like prison.

Of course, if I won the lottery, I'd unsell-out real fast and quit. :wink:

doctorwho said:
And I'm sorry, I don't have "frozen boobs" to discuss - I'll work on that for your next "it's official" shallow topic.

april's thread was like a breath of fresh frozen boob air.

can we get this guy an io handbook or something? :angry:

lol.. sorry its just kind of an unspoken rule that we dont talk about U2 in IO. There's like 7 million other forums you can talk about them :wink:

But you're new here so I'll just chomp on your brains a bit and let you on your way :hug:

doctorwho said:

Please honey! I'll be sending you "Sarcasm and Humor for Dummies" this Christmas. Wait patiently by your mailbox. I swear - it's coming. Just keep waiting.

:|

it was humor.

and please don't ever call me honey again. :)

This wouldn't have been so bad if you then didn't patronise everyone after in your replies.

So suck it up, you've offended people.

Like Sicy said there are 7 million other places for you to get a serious and good discussion on the sell-out theory going, but you chose IO and now you are reaping that. Dont be rude to the people here John. There's all types posting in here, fym'ers, PLEBAns, music stats types, newbs, diehards, antifans, everyone. No need to be rude.

:applaud:

This forum is FOR being silly, stupid, etc.. it is generally not used for serious posts or for monologues about U2.. :shrug:

this thread rots.

i recommend everyone return their attention to me, and forget themselves for a while.

deathbear - what you and your family need this holiday season.

doctorwho said:

And I'm sorry, I don't have "frozen boobs" to discuss - I'll work on that for your next "it's official" shallow topic. :wave:

ok. im offended.

oh, and i forgot to mention that u2 are sellouts in this thread.

that's what i was supposed to say right?

i can't remember anymore, is there a role to play here? where's the script?

why are there screaming monkeys in cages?! WHY?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom