It's Official #Dissertation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
don't you have a honors supervisor to help you out with your topic?

or you could always do what I did, and not write it at the last moment ;)

(not good advice)

Basstrap said:
don't you have a honors supervisor to help you out with your topic?

or you could always do what I did, and not write it at the last moment ;)

(not good advice)

Nope. We have to come up with a topic and then ask someone in the department to supervise it. :down:

try and be a little controversial....history professors like challenging the status quo (the ones I've had)

I don't really have anything to be controversial about. I was thinking about doing something music related, but I have no idea what. I do NOT want to do anything political/economic.

How about: How rocknroll became politically subversive to its time and culture.... cultural significance of its reaction to Vietnam, sexual revolution, etc. etc. :shrug:

This site may spark some ideas:

http://kclibrary.nhmccd.edu/decade60.html#art

I personally find the rise of pop art in the 60s fascinating ... Andy Warhol, the Factory and his process he used for dveloping and producing art is so interesting.

This site also mentions the "invention" of both the Barbie doll and GI Joe in the 60s--what does this say about the culture of the time (feminism, Barbie and young girls; Vietnam, GI Joe and boys)

theSoulfulMofo said:
How about: How rocknroll became politically subversive to its time and culture.... cultural significance of its reaction to Vietnam, sexual revolution, etc. etc. :shrug:

I've thought about something in that area, but I really need to narrow it down and I don't even know which country I want to focus on. I'd prefer to do something that wouldn't require me to go to the US to do research.

I want to quit. :| My degree is useless anyway.

hehe! Anything BUT France. I'd have to re-learn French to read a lot of the primary sources, and I'm not interested in French history enough to do a dissertation on it. :slant: I actually am supposed to do it on a topic covered by one of my modules, which are:

1960's Social and Cultural Change in Britain, American, Germany, and France

Theory and Evidence

Vicy France on Film (propaganda, etc.)

Nazi Holocaust

I'd prefer to do 1960s because I don't want to do anything involving political history and the Holocaust/Nazi Germany/WWII era is way too over-done.

nbcrusader said:
Theory and Evidence seems a tad broad....

It is. Here's the course description:

V1D501 Theory and Evidence in History and the Social Sciences

Year 03/04
Total Credits: 30

Level: Level D

Target Students: This is a core module for the MA in Modern History and the MA in Politics and Contemporary History. It is also available to other students on taught MA programmes in either the School of History or the School of Politics

Summary of Content: The purpose of this module is to consider the connections between theory and evidence in the humanities and social sciences. As such the content cuts across generic and chronological divides in order to analyse the commonalities and differences in the way historians and social scientists think about their work. The specific topics discussed differ each year but in each seminar students would consider a particular methodological or philosophical problem and some documents relating to it. The following are indicative of the substantive content: a. Are historical events inevitable?: This session is based on extracts from Tolstoy's War and Peace and some Cold War documents (eg. Kennan's Long Telegram). b. How do we re-construct the lives of ordinary people? This session is based on the use made of Inquisition documents in Ginzberg's The Cheese and the Worms..

:crack:

I have to give a presentation on Wednesday on methodologies in the history of ideas in relation to the concept of Natural Law.

:crack:

British Invasion phenomenon* (The impact of Beatles all over the world)

*edited to add this word

Last edited:
theSoulfulMofo said:
British Invasion (The impact of Beatles all over the world)

I was thinking about that, actually, not the Beatles specifically, but British music in the 1960's in West Germany.

hmmm...I like that!

Can I read it?

Maybe how Germany influenced the "British Invasion."

Anyone else find the "British Invasion" ironic? Shouldn't it be called "a bunch of British guys reintroducing The States to its own music."?

nbcrusader said:
Hmmm, the Beatles have probably been "done" before. How about the influence of American music on Europe at that time?

That's what I'm thinking. There's a really good book about Western/American culture in East v. West Germany, so I'd like to do something like that, except obviously not the same thing. :huh:

whaddabout david bowie and brian eno in Berlin?... tie it in with U2 and Achtung Baby sessions... or just Berlin inspiration for U2's Achtung Baby, and all the uncertainty Europe was feeling at that moment in the early 90s with the fall of the berlin wall.

The Beatles recorded two songs in German btw.

Sie Liebt Dich

und

Komm Gib Mir Deine Hand

or (She Loves You and I Wanna Hold Your Hand)

not too relevant, but maybe something you could use if you do '60s Brit-rock and Germany

Back
Top Bottom