IT's official denial about my career....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She Is Raging

Refugee
As some of you may know, I've been wondering for a long time now if I'm in the right career (nursing - newborn/pedi). I love the kids etc... but not so much everything else.

Today I completed yet another certificate class - Pediatric Advanced life support. This year I've done that in addition to Neonatal Advance, National IV Certifications, Pediatric Sedation, and I'm also considering going for another one. Yet every day I say to myself at some point... " why am I doing this?" I think that I have it in my mind that if I keep working and improving my skills, etc... that I'll like it better, when I really think I want to get back into music. GAH!!! WTF is wrong with me?

You're a good nurse Ragin'. You can't not be to be in the field you are in. You're obviously passionate and caring, and love kids and quitting nursing wont change that. You have to do what you're passionate about. You have to let yourself look out for you first. I imagine its stressful enough without having doubts its even what you really want to do. Allow yourself to put you first. :hug:

Wow Kathleen--I had no idea you've been up to so much lately! I know you've been feeling like you're stuck, and I really have no advice as I am up in the air about my career path as well, but I am here for you! :hug:

I hear ya on that.

Since I was five I've wanted to be a rock star. I've recorded albums, released them on mp3.com, I've played some gigs... but it seems real life is always getting in the way.

I live in upstate NY. WAY upstate. I'm talking invasion of canada upstate. It's the boonies. There's nothing but a few bars and a couple colleges (one of which I went to). I don't have the money to move to a city, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I've tried for 7 years now to get bands together, and they always either screw me or just fall apart. The latest was we played a GREAT gig at my alma mater two weeks ago and then two people quit the next day, citing that they never meant to go anywhere with it. (thanks for letting me know guys).

Despite that, my guitarist and I are going ahead with recording an album. It's going to rock, it's going to kick ass. So if you hear of Starways Congress, that's us.

But to get back to the point and the reason I'm posting on this particular topic... I'm working for a bankruptcy lawyer right now. It's good money and all but it's not what I want to be doing. I'm almost 24, and while granted that's still young, I very quickly am starting to feel like I'm wasting my time and my life. You know, I've always felt I was put here to do one thing and that's to play music and spread a little hope and cheer by doing so. I hate that either the situation is f'd up, or that I've screwed everything up by not trying enough. Point is, if I don't get there, whoever took the time to create me and put me on earth wasted their time too, because I'll have failed in doing the only thing I've ever wanted to do.

The thing that pisses me off is I can't get there without an actual band. But my history proves that I can't trust anyone to be honest about this. It makes me bitter and angry.

Wow.... sorry... I guess maybe I just had to get that out.

Thanks.... :)

Anyway, if anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate hearing it. And if anyone knows Nico... let her know I'm looking for her.

Take Care,
Ender

Change of direction with one's career is a big step; my change came after a vehicle versus motorcycle accident that led to my early police retirement at a very young 36. thankfully, I was able to use skills learned during prior training and put them to use in a civil arena, not criminal. I now investigate claims for the insurance companies; I was able to expand my resume from merely handling claims of fender benders to theft, Homeowners and crimes against persons (that result in civil lawsuit).

What I did was exceed the expectations of a normal investigator, get your name out there to be recognized and sought; then reward yourself by opening your own business...I left police work in January 1987; going strong ever since.

Self-motivation and setting a goal, month after month, as trying and redundant as it can be, will bring you satisfaction...good luck!

Mr. B

Back
Top Bottom