it's official #butterflies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
today on my way to work, i saw around 6-7 butterflies.
they appeared to be monarch butterflies.
i only live 2 minutes or less away from work.
it just kinda struck me as odd that everywhere i looked i saw one today, almost hitting 2 of them with my car. especially since it's fall and not spring.
i don't recall seeing so many.
i guess it's monarch butterfly migration time?
i looked at something on the internet that said during the first 3 weeks of October they do migrate thru Texas. i guess i never really paid attention to them before. :shrug:

they sure are purty :cute:

2 weeks? :(
When I was at school, cicada season meant kids would be really cruel and pull them all out of their .... those shell type things they live in, cocoons or whatever. They apparently spent 7 years in them growing to only live for a week or something. Stupid cruel kids for pulling them out early. :mad:

here's some more info i found on the monarch butterflies.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/education/tracker/monarch/

map_tx_flyways.gif

map_us_flyways.gif

Texas is an important state in monarch migration because it is situated between the principal breeding grounds in the north and the overwintering area in Mexico. Monarchs funnel through Texas both in the fall and the spring. During the fall, monarchs use two principal flyways. One traverses Texas in a 300-mile wide path stretching from Wichita Falls to Eagle Pass. Monarchs enter the Texas portion of this flyway during the last days of September. By the third week of October, most have passed through into Mexico. The second flyway is situated along the Texas coast and lasts roughly from the third week of October to the middle of November. In selected places, monarchs may be seen in migration in the tens of thousands. Look for the largest numbers during the second and third weeks of October in west central Texas, from San Angelo to Bracketville to Eagle Pass. Texas parks in this zone are especially good places to find monarchs. Many locations along the Devils, Llano, Frio, and Sabinal rivers are also good. Call ahead to parks in the area to see if the monarchs have arrived. If monarchs are there, you must move quickly. They will stay in an area in hot, moist weather with southerly winds, but will leave immediately with a passing front.

I have only seen about 2 butterflies this year. They were white. Im not good with butterfly names. :)

I am afraid of butterflies ...

At the Milwaukee Public Museum ... they have this room that is a butterfly garden with tons of live butterflies flying free. You can walk through and they fly all around you.

That room seriously freaks me out ... I do not like them swooping at me.

They have a place like that near Ballynahinch, i put the hood on my fleece over my head, my Dad called me a moron but I didnt like them flying over my head.

i've nenver been to a place like that, but i love it when a butterfly lands on me :cute:

it's such a loverly fall day out today, and i'm off, so i think after i get finished running my errands later, i'm gonna see if i can see some more butterflies today. my friend said one time she was outside of the mall at Dillards or some place, and she saw lots of them at one time! they had some kind of butterfly theme at the mall and she said at first she thought they were fake, and she was wondering "how'd they do that!" :laugh: then she realized it was really the monarch butterfly migration. :cute:

JessicaAnn said:

OMG ... if that happened to me, I would freak out ... :no:

but they're harmless and so pretty!!!

hey! just for the heck of it, i just looked out my window here at my apartment. and guess what!!! i saw one fly by! i wasn't even looking out for more than 30 seconds! i'm gonna take a walk later. i really don't remember ever seeing this many butterflies. i can't imagine that i'm really that unobservant about them in the past, but maybe i am. or maybe because of the weather getting cooler earlier this year or something, their migratioin pattern has changed slightly? :shrug:

All I can think of now is Beauty and The Beast when all the birds land on the beast.

This has nothing to do with butterflies I know

ok is this a weird coinsidence or what??? i'm sitting here watching the 12:00 news, and the lady just says "have you noticed a strange amount of butterflies flying around? there's a reason for that and we'll explain it in a few minutes" :laugh:

monarch13.jpg

butterfly.jpg

Lara Mullen said:
ABEL is obsessed with these butterflies :cute: :laugh:

:tongue:

i'm still waiting to hear that report too...how come when they say 'a few minutes' it's never a few minutes, it's usually more like 30 minutes :laugh: :banghead:

I hate when they do that - they entice you at the start and suck you in - then you have to wait forever to see the report u want

A man climbed Goliath today to propse to his g/f

well phoey, of course they wait to show the story until the very end. and then they don't really tell you anything about the butterflies you don't already know. they interviewed one lady who lives in Carrollton, which is a suburb about 15-20 minutes north of here. she had hundreds of butterflies on this one tree in her back yard! it was amazing! and she's legally blind and can only see certain colors. two of the colors she can see are red and orange. since the butterflies are red and orange, she can see flashes of red and orange. that was kinda cool i guess.

i wish i could find hundreds of butterflies around here :cute:

There is a man here and cant see past his car bonnet - the police have taken his driving licence off him but this idiot says he will defy the law and continue to drive.

I really hope I dont come accross that man when im out driving. :uhoh:

today while i was driving around running errands, i counted about 21 of the monarchs! :cute:

They are not interesting creatures ...

They are menacing ... they hide their incidious nature behing colorful wings. Do not fall for it ....

JessicaAnn said:
:yikes:

Seriously ... that would scare me ...

I would hide out at home ...

they're not scary! it wasn't like i saw all 21 at one time...i just mean driving around here and there i'd see one or two fluttering around gracefully.

i would like to find one of those big swarms of them tho that would be cool.

and yes zoney, they are interesting creatures...they are the only insect that migrates! i did actually learn that one little fact from that news report i saw.

Back
Top Bottom