it's official beets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i can't even remember the last time i ate a beet.

i think i used to like them from what i remember or maybe i didn't like them and i've blocked all memory of them :shifty:

This doesn't sound good at all..... :no:
where do the beets come in?????????

Borsh recipe:

1 lb/500 g wheat bran, 2/3 lb/300 g corn meal, 1 oz/30 g yeast, one lemon, 2-3 slices bread

For this you need a 5-6 quart non-metal container. Put bran and corn meal in. Add yeast (or solid leftovers from previous batch of borsh). On top of this, add boiling or very hot water to the top. After it cools off, add one sliced lemon (with peel), as well as the bread. Then, mix this concoction every morning and evening with a long-handled wooden utensil. Taste it after a few days, and if it is sour enough, place container in a cool place so that the liquid clears. The solid stuff will sink to the bottom. Then put the clear liquid in bottles and keep them in a cool place. The solids are to be kept in the same container and after you finish the borsh in the bottles, you can start again. You only add boiling water on top of it. Note: Don't leave the clear borsh to sit on the solids or it will turn bitter.

*apologizes to the gods of IO for inadvertently starting a food thread*

i've been afraid of beets as long as i can remember.

tomatobouncingbeet.gif

Last edited:
And dear god, Mr Baw. That recipe sounds so bad it might as well come straight from the devil's own bowels :|

I found a completely different recipe for borsch, which does involve 'beets' but sounds even worse (if that's humanly possible?):

1c Navy beans, dry
2 1/2lb Lean beef
1/2 lb Slab bacon
10c Cold water
1 Bay leaf
8 Whole peppercorns
2 Cloves garlic
2 tb Dried parsley
1 Carrot
1 Celery stalk
1lg Red onion
1t Salt (opt)
8 Beets for soup
2sm Beets
2c Green cabbage, shredded
2lg Leeks, sliced
3md Potatoes, cut into eighths
1cn (1 lb 13 oz) tomatoes
1tb Tomato paste
3tb Red wine vinegar
4tb Sugar
1lb Kielbasa (opt)
2tb Flour
1tb Butter, melted
1/2c Sour cream (opt)

Cover beans with water and allow to soak overnight; cook until tender; drain; set aside. Place beef, bacon and water in large soup pot; bring to a boil. Skim fat from surface. Add bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic, parsley, carrot, celery, onion and salt. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours.

Scrub beets for soup and cook in boiling water until tender, about 45 minutes; drain and discard water; cool. Peel and cut each beet into eighths. Scrub small beets; grate; cover with water to soak.

Remove meat from soup; set aside. Strain soup into another pot and add cooked beets, cabbage, leeks, potatoes, tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, beef and bacon. Bring to a boil and simmer 45 minutes.

Cut kielbasa into chunks and add with navy beans to soup. Simmer 20 minutes more.

Mix flour and butter together to form paste. Stir into soup to thicken slightly. Strain raw beets, saving liquid and discarding beets. Add beet liquid to soup.

Additional sugar or vinegar may be added for sweeter or more sour flavor. Slice meat and arrange in individual soup bowls. Pour hot soup with vegetables over meat. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.

Serves 10.

bammo2 said:
I'm presuming that beets are what we brits call beetroot?

Nasty purple staining stuff that is invariably pickled?

:no:

i believe so

beetroot.jpg

beets.jpg

My exflat mate Bruce and I decided to make some beetroot juice. We read somewhere that it was healthy or something. So we cut up some beetroot and put it in the blender.....

and forgot to put the lid on. We had purple stain on the beige ceiling, all over the orange kitchen cupboard doors, the mission brown laminex kitchen cupboard top, and the green tiles, not to mention the brown louvre pantry door :up:

bammo2 said:
And dear god, Mr Baw. That recipe sounds so bad it might as well come straight from the devil's own bowels :|

I found a completely different recipe for borsch, which does involve 'beets' but sounds even worse (if that's humanly possible?):

1c Navy beans, dry
2 1/2lb Lean beef
1/2 lb Slab bacon
10c Cold water
1 Bay leaf
8 Whole peppercorns
2 Cloves garlic
2 tb Dried parsley
1 Carrot
1 Celery stalk
1lg Red onion
1t Salt (opt)
8 Beets for soup
2sm Beets
2c Green cabbage, shredded
2lg Leeks, sliced
3md Potatoes, cut into eighths
1cn (1 lb 13 oz) tomatoes
1tb Tomato paste
3tb Red wine vinegar
4tb Sugar
1lb Kielbasa (opt)
2tb Flour
1tb Butter, melted
1/2c Sour cream (opt)

Cover beans with water and allow to soak overnight; cook until tender; drain; set aside. Place beef, bacon and water in large soup pot; bring to a boil. Skim fat from surface. Add bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic, parsley, carrot, celery, onion and salt. Cover and simmer over low heat for about 1 1/2 hours.

Scrub beets for soup and cook in boiling water until tender, about 45 minutes; drain and discard water; cool. Peel and cut each beet into eighths. Scrub small beets; grate; cover with water to soak.

Remove meat from soup; set aside. Strain soup into another pot and add cooked beets, cabbage, leeks, potatoes, tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, beef and bacon. Bring to a boil and simmer 45 minutes.

Cut kielbasa into chunks and add with navy beans to soup. Simmer 20 minutes more.

Mix flour and butter together to form paste. Stir into soup to thicken slightly. Strain raw beets, saving liquid and discarding beets. Add beet liquid to soup.

Additional sugar or vinegar may be added for sweeter or more sour flavor. Slice meat and arrange in individual soup bowls. Pour hot soup with vegetables over meat. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.

Serves 10.

Former President Richard Nixon said "I'm not a crook!"

Mr. BAW says "I'm notta cook!"

:lol:

Last edited:
it's a tomato and a beet...what they're doing i don't know.
i don't think we want to know :shifty:

i don't remember what was in the borch i didn't eat. i heard it was good though. i saw it stewing for hours, it didn't look too tastey after that.

*is afraid ABEL might make a beet plush doll and call it henry

IWasBored said:
*apologizes to the gods of IO for inadvertently starting a food thread*

Bow down before the ones you serve...and beet it! :mad:

shhh!! you don't want to give her any more ideas!!

zoney! said:

Bow down before the ones you serve...and beet it! :mad:

crap...i broke the beaters beating the beets...

i'll try the blender

Our parents sing like John Lennon, "Imagine all the people watch"
We rock like Paul McCartney from now until the last Beat'll drop

~t.k.

Back
Top Bottom