IT'S OFFICIAL #858

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
I enjoy arguing from alternate viewpoints from my own. In fact, that is why I always enjoyed posting with "GOP-Controlled Whortense" and my ill-fated "Satan" moniker. That's probably why I haven't stormed out of FYM a long time ago out of disgust. Despite the fact that it makes my blood boil from time to time, I get a kick out of it.

When it comes down to it, I am a big fan of not only U2's politics and religion, but also the way they did it. In fact, I think this was half of the reason why I became as big of a U2 fan as I am. The character of Mr. MacPhisto is sheer brilliance to me. In a way, I think, prancing around in a quasi-Satan outfit preaching the beauty of greed was far more effective than their righteous crusades of the 1980s.

Of course, some people will never get the joke.

Comments?

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

See, I loved the kitsch that was POP.

Was POP/Zoo more of a statement than the stuff of Joshua Tree era? Yes, but I agree with you - the majority of the people don't get it! A lot of people think U2 is some overly self-important rock band. Humor is lost - but I love it. I miss POPMart (my theme of the rest of the week).

Originally posted by melon:
I enjoy arguing from alternate viewpoints from my own. In fact, that is why I always enjoyed posting with "GOP-Controlled Whortense" and my ill-fated "Satan" moniker. That's probably why I haven't stormed out of FYM a long time ago out of disgust. Despite the fact that it makes my blood boil from time to time, I get a kick out of it.

I personally stay away from the topics that make me want to destroy objects.
wink.gif
I do occasionally post in other threads in Free Your Mind. I just dislike challenging other people and arguing, so I tend to stay away, because otherwise I might get tempted.

When it comes down to it, I am a big fan of not only U2's politics and religion, but also the way they did it. In fact, I think this was half of the reason why I became as big of a U2 fan as I am. The character of Mr. MacPhisto is sheer brilliance to me. In a way, I think, prancing around in a quasi-Satan outfit preaching the beauty of greed was far more effective than their righteous crusades of the 1980s.

Of course, some people will never get the joke.

Hmm.. that's true. I do think some people got some negative reactions off the devil costume (see the chapter in Bill Flanagan's book, where Bono addresses "squeakies" and Macphisto, lol) but it definitely reached a more wider audience I think. Showed them they aren't serious, a more fun-loving joking around band than most people thought. I remember an old quote from Bono in 1984 (I believe) during the Unforgettable Fire tour and saying over the mic, "Remember, we're a real serious band." or something to that effect.
smile.gif
Anyway, yes, their 80's attitude was great to most of us fans but a lot thought of it as farce. Sort of like how people are having a bit of Bono backlash for *gasp!* having some kind of public opinion on 9/11 and America, etc.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Yes Melon you make sense. Thats why I am also a whore.
biggrin.gif

As for FYM, it is at times miserable, yet at times informative and addictive to the very least.

I respect your posts in there, even though I have to avoid them sometimes
wink.gif

------------------
The hunter gets captured by the game

haha...i try to avoid fym as well. i've stopped posting as much, but it just pisses me off sometimes to see the crap getting slung across the room, and i have to post. not that any of the people who disagree with me on the forum value my opinion, anyway.

yep and thats why i love U2 cause of the music the way they got together as a band and of corse us the fans,the way we are so good to us and U2

------------------
*A boy tries hard to be a man, his lover takes him by his hand.*

Back
Top Bottom