IT'S OFFICIAL #852

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Windows XP is a cool OS, but a very big pain in the ass. A lot of the problems is finding XP compatible drivers and making sure that your software doesn't conflict with your hardware. All I have to say, though, is that "System Restore" is the best. Uninstall doesn't work fully.

I had to learn this all the hard way. I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP this afternoon.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

xponfire.gif

welcome to hell

lmao mole!!

So true. melon, what the hell? Why did you not just stay with 2k and be happy?

* loves her win2k
icon35.gif

New update:

I have 95% of everything reloaded, and everything is running perfectly. My tips are this:

-run Windows Update immediately to get latest drivers and fixes (download the newest virtual machine if Windows Update doesn't work).

-make System Restore points constantly, otherwise you could end up in trouble. I had to use it about 3-5 times, because some software caused conflictions and uninstalling doesn't remove everything.

-never install drivers that weren't designed for Windows XP (that includes Windows 2000 drivers).

Sicy, I went to Windows XP, because Windows 2000 has known multimedia problems and, often, when I would play DVDs, it wouldn't work correctly. As I am very big into multimedia applications, I wanted to try this. The first time was a disaster, but this time it runs perfectly and faster than even when I ran Windows 2000 (Windows ME still takes the cake in speed, but sucks on functionality).

Moral of the story is to take OS upgrades very slowly and wait around 5-6 months after they come out to buy/install it (I waited for 5 months), because Microsoft never gets anything right the first time and you need to wait for patches/new drivers.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Back
Top Bottom