It's Official #1333

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
I just found out that my co-worker and good friend has gotten the West Nile Virus. If he makes it through this minor stage, he should be fine. If he goes onto the next stage, there's a chance of him dying.

I don't have many friends...the ones I do have I hold so very close to me...I really do. He hasn't been at work all week, and I missed him a lot. I figured he was sick, but I didn't know it was West Nile Virus.

I need a hug.

I dont know what West Nile Virus is but I dont think I want to know

:hug:

I didn't know much about it either, so I checked one of our local news web sites. There are 425 known cases in the country right now, and 20 people have died from it.

I guess those are pretty good odds.

I'm talking to him online now, and he just says stuff like, Smile, sunshine...I'll get better, and we'll go eat at Subway and make fun of [insert co-worker's name here]. *lol*

I hope so.

If it makes you feel any better, I think most of the people who die from West Nile Virus are elderly or have immune system problems, so hopefully your friend will be fine. :)

Its in the mosquitoes. Apparently its comparable to the flu...but can occasionally be lethal.

I've heard though that more people die of the flu everyday...

It started East coast and is now supposedly here in MN...So give it a year or two to get to west coast....for those of you who don' t know.

*Mosquito is MN state "bird"*
*lives in MN*
*hides in house forever*

Hope yer friend gets better , BC...:sad: :hug:

Thanks for making me feel better, guys. I decided I'm just going to try not to worry about it unless he goes onto the next stage. Now that I've had time to think about it more, I'm sure he is going to be fine, right? :)

I'm sorry to hear that BC :hug:

We have West Nile Virus here in Dallas too. The City is even spraying some areas for mosquitos.

I'm sure your friend will be ok. Most cases of West Nile Virus aren't serious if caught early, and if the person is relatively healthy otherwise. From what I've read and heard on the news here, most people aren't seriously affected by it and those that are are those that are already weak from being sick, or elderly (much like the flu or pneumonia would affect someone who wasn't in good health).

Mainly there is no cure for the virus, and it just has to run it's course. All they can do is treat the symptoms and try to prevent other symptoms from occuring. It's such a hard thing to even diagnose because it's symptoms mimic that of other things like the flu.

here's a link for info on West Nile Virus from the Centers for Disease Control:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/index.htm

Last edited:
Ali Rose said:
...So give it a year or two to get to west coast....

I'd give it less than that...

I was just sitting here, eating lunch, watching CNN...they had a breaking story, "just in from CNN"....they said "doctors in California are treating a woman they believe has symptoms of West Nile Virus".

For those of you on the West Coast who haven't heard about West Nile Virus yet, you will probably know more than you want to about it by dinner time tonight when you're watching the news.

But like everyone has said here, it's not really something to freak out about, or not go outside because of it...just remember to use the bug spray if you are going to be out for any length of time.

Back
Top Bottom