it's official #0210

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kobayashi

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
i was just accused of being a jingoist!
by a member of the national media for that matter!!

------------------
i am ready to communicate with you

Originally posted by kobayashi:
i was just accused of being a jingoist!
by a member of the national media for that matter!!

Which member of the national media?

Tell me it wasn't Peter Mansbridge? (Somehow I don't think it was.) I have a little crush on him
biggrin.gif

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Which member of the national media?

no, it wasn't mansbridge. i'm actually not at liberty to say who but it was a columnist from one of our 2 national dailies
smile.gif

------------------

Originally posted by kobayashi:
no, it wasn't mansbridge. i'm actually not at liberty to say who but it was a columnist from one of our 2 national dailies
smile.gif

Soooo can you tell a bit more about what actually happened without giving it all away?? *curious*

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Soooo can you tell a bit more about what actually happened without giving it all away?? *curious*
the person in question is a good friend of my parents who I keep in touch with regularly myself. we were discussing john manley's recent comments regarding canada recently having begun negotiations with mexico and the U.S. regarding a joint NA defence plan. i am not in favor of the idea.
the article we were discussing appeared in the ottawa citizen, the following is from the national post but is virtually the same article.
(sorry for the FYMish post)

Canada begins talks with U.S. over joint defence
Troops face shortages: Lack of rations 'not a question of government policy,' Defence Minister says

Tim Naumetz
Southam News

OTTAWA - Art Eggleton, the Minister of Defence, yesterday brushed off questions about supply shortages among Canadian troops in Afghanistan, saying it is up to army brass to deal with day-to-day problems in the field.

"This is not a question of government policy," Mr. Eggleton said when asked about reports that Canadian troops, lacking stoves to heat their food, borrowed field rations from U.S. soldiers and limited water to three litres per soldier each day for drinking and washing.

"We don't micromanage, as a government, what they do in the field," Mr. Eggleton said. "That's up to the military commanders to do that, and the military commanders will give them whatever they need to be able to do the job, period. And the government will make sure that they get any funds that they need to be able to get whatever they need."

Mr. Eggleton defended the government to reporters outside the House of Commons, where he announced yesterday that Canada has launched high-level discussions with the United States toward a possible joint defence system for the entire continent.

While the government has discussed the possibility of such an arrangement since December, Mr. Eggleton said negotiations on a new military agreement have begun.

He said Canada had no choice but to take part in a U.S. plan to realign its homeland defence, possibly establishing a single joint command for U.S. national security.

"You can't look at just the United States in isolation without looking at its neighbours, both Canada and Mexico, so we have entered into discussions with them on their plans and how they're proceeding," Mr. Eggleton told the House.

Mr. Eggleton said Canada wants to maintain the system established in the 1950s for the North American Aerospace Defence Command, or Norad, in which the Norad commander, overseeing Canadian and U.S. air defence systems and aircraft, reports to both the prime minister of Canada and the U.S. president. The Norad deputy commander is a Canadian officer.

Mr. Eggleton rejected suggestions Canada is in danger of losing its military sovereignty.

"We will continue to command our own troops, we will continue to do what's best for Canada," he said. "Co-operating with the United States on defence of a continent is something that is in our interest."

In the House yesterday, he also played down reports Canadian troops, members of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, have used paint, sandbags and tape to camouflage their equipment and parts of their uniforms to fit into the Afghanistan desert background.

The government was roundly criticized for failing to provide soldiers with desert camouflage before they left their Edmonton base for Kandahar last month. The Canadian camouflage is dark green.

Mr. Eggleton told the House it is normal for troops in the field to add personal touches to their uniforms and equipment to fit the local environment.

"They show innovation in camouflage," he said. "They are intelligent; they do have their own initiative in doing these kinds of things."

Chuck Strahl, the Canadian Alliance MP, incensed after Jean Chr?tien, the Prime Minister, implied he was unpatriotic for asking questions about the supply problems, challenged the government to show dedication to its soldiers.

"Our troops are certainly showing their patriotism by carrying Canadian values into the theatre of war," Mr. Strahl said. "Why does the government not show some of that same patriotism and start funding our military properly?"

NDP MP Peter Stoffer accused Mr. Eggleton of passing the buck by saying the army command, not the government, is responsible for troop conditions in the field.

"The leadership has to come directly from the front bench of this government," he said.

"They had no hesitation when it came to the decision to send our troops over, now they have to ensure they have all the tools and supplies with which to do their job."

------------------

Originally posted by zonelistener:
What's a jingoist?

a fervent nationalist.

------------------
Tetradic Glossary

Zipper
(A) Amplifies grip, clasp
(B) Obsolesces buttons, snaps
(C) Brings back classic, flowing robes
(D) Flips into (velcro) adhesive