It's Off Fish: Lets talk about WA - Beli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
beli hi :wave:

Please tell me about Perth.
Or WA in general.

I know some people who want to move there and I'm very curious about a state I actually know nothing about.

Anything you can tell me on things like real estate, employment, weather etc...

I should be ashamed to realise I actually know nothing about it.
:|

It sounds nice though.
:hmm:

Wow what a question. There are a few other Perthonalities here as well.

I have been to Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and I like Perth the best excepting for the nightlife/restuarants/Jamaican chocolate cake in Melbourne.

The weather is stinking hot and dry in the summer, hot and dry in spring, warm to hot in Autumn, and wet and coldish in winter. We have the worlds highest rate of pollen induced asthma (cause it doesnt rain enough to make the pollen stick to the ground, plants, etc)

Its very happy families here. Not as much as Adelaide but much more suburban than Sydney or Melbourne. If you have kids its a good place to raise them. Our average population is younger than anywhere bar Darwin so theres lots of schools etc. (but still not enough day care centres)

The cosmopolitian mix is different. We are technically the most multicultural state in Oz but its all different. Perth is very 'Asian' (if I can group half the planet together in that term). The food is mostly 'Asian' and Mediterranean. :drool: We have good food here. Lots of fruit and fish. I think people in Perth are a bit more health conscious then the rest of Oz. Not as much junk food. And people dont eat it as much.

The lifestyle is slower than Sydney and Melbourne. Not as many bands, concerts, art comes to Perth. The same goes if you are artistic, your better off staying over East. You wont meet many people from New York in Perth, way to slow here for them. Mind you we appear to be getting a bit of a London influx at the moment, from my personal survey entitled 'Weirdos I Meet on the Bus'.

A lot of our events are outdoors eg the chilli crab festival, the sardine festival (today, yah!), the mussel festival, the chilli festival (crabs optional, but I believe you already have your own so youll be okay. :| )

We do have events that dont involve food but who cares about them :wink:

The Perth International Arts Festival is very good (I work somewhere connected to this so I may be considered biased as they give me 3 sets of free tickets a year. Which I go to, cause its good)

Dunno what the employment figures are at the moment but ours are usually less worse than other states. If you are prepared to do manual labour out in the desert mines then employment, in my understanding, is not that difficult to find. I work in Admin and have never had a problem finding work.

Real estate is cheaper than Sydney (isnt it everywhere?) but I dunno about the rest of the states anymore. We seem to be having an influx of migrants from the East as well as overseas (England, South Africa, Canada). Like everywhere we have some cheap suburbs that nobody would actually CHOOSE to live in.

I think our zoo is better than Taronga (sp?) and Melbourne. Our underwater world fish tank conveyor thingie is much better than Sydneys but I havent been to Brisvegas in a while so theres could be good to. Melbournes botanic gardens are better than Perths, actually ALL their gardens are better than ours, but then it rains there so they can have gardens. We are on twice weekly gardening watering roster so you either plant Mediterranean plants or watch your garden curl up and die. ie if you like English gardening dont come here.

The political climate is more conservate than Sydney or Melbourne which can be annoying, depending on your opinions.

Edited to add: If you like travel dont come here. The airfares are ridiculously high. The only place outside of Western Australia that is feasible to travel to is Bali (and Lombok, Phuket, those kind of places) If you want to live in Perth and travel - no can do Diedre.

So yeah, its fun but quieter here. If you like eating fish, having barbies, going to the beach, eating fish, raising children, and eating fish then its the place for you.

Thank you for asking this question. I had forgotten the sardy festival is on today. Cant miss that!

Last edited:
Wow, a treasure trove of information!
The friend who is moving there, apparently grew up in Quinns Rocks and is moving back that way. Out of curiosity, I got looking at some real estate sites last night and cannot believe it. What an untapped market!!!
I've wanted to move/escape/run away from Sydney for ages now and well...I dont like the east coast in general anymore. Adelaide (no offence to anyone) looks as dull as dishwater. I, despite hardly being a party animal, would probably die of terminal boredom. So WA was my next consideration.

Events and sights I guess are not that much of an issue. Though a nice calendar of events is always good. Sydney has it's share, but is ruined by the small matter of 3 million others attending. I wont rant about all the things in Sydney which annoy me, it is pretty much everything that perth is not.

Politics: I guess it wouldn't matter where I lived, I would always have some gripe with the party :wink: You're a labor state too, yeah?

Your water/irrigation thing is fascinating lol. When looking at those sites last night I saw on most of them there was bore water and reticulation in place. Now witrh most of this country it seems under compulsory water restrictions, I think that sounds like a great idea. While I could never concrete my backyard, I am no Don Burke either, but a Mediterranean garden is not out of the question.

With the employment scene, I dont think I am miner material. Admin is something I can do easily enough, so hopefully that would not be an issue if I did ever move.

Could you give me a list of both the shittier suburbs which everyone avoids, plus the nicer ones?
I hope you don't mind me leeching you for info :D

Quinns Rock is cheaper, its a long way up the coast. I live in Hillarys which is, erm, a long way up the coast, about 40 minutes from Perth and Quinns is a lot further still. And the train line doesnt go up that far (to Quinns). Depends if you need to go into town of course. I dont. We have a big shopping centre in Hillarys. Theres another in Joondalup, Karrinyup, Innaloo (yeh, go on laugh, everyone laughs at our suburb names, but there the original Aboriginal names and I feel good about us maintaining a lot of their names)

Nicer suburbs are the western ones, the nearer the coast the nice, as a rule. The same works the other way - eastern suburbs tend to the be the crappier ones, until you get REALLY east, then they start getting nice again.

Crappy suburbs:
Cullacarbardee
Balga
Balcatta
Morley
Mirrabooka
Victoria Park
St James
Girrawheen

Nicer suburbs but really expensive
Peppermint Grove
Dalkeith
Nedlands
Cottesloe
Churchlands
Wembley

Yuppie suburbs;
Subiaco
Cottesloe - theres a bouncer on the fish and chips shop!

Enclaves:
Kallaroo (POMS)
Brighton (POMS)
Balga (Italians)
Balcatta (Italians)
Cullacarbardee (Aboriginal) A government planned social disaster area. How to screw up a suburb in one easy lesson - listen to the government.

Suburbs with a high denisty of unemployed people:
Clarkson and the suburbs immediately below (cant remember their names right now)
Guildford

Northbridge is where all the nightclubs are so its a bit of a party place. Subiaco has lots of cafes too, as does Fremantle (not technically Perth but close enough). Uni students live in Glendalough.

A lot of these suburbs are northern suburbs. Im not too familiar with the southern suburbs. When I go to work tomorrow I will try and find the link to the Crime Research Centre.

As for bores, there is talk of the government charging for bore usage, which I think is a good thing.

Do you want me to send you the jobs section from Saturdays paper so you can see if the markets right for you?

Last edited:
Wow beli! very comprehensive lol. Thank you muchly.
From my browsing, it looked like the Upper Northern and Outer Western kind of areas were the nicest. Close to water, which is not essential but not too far out either.
Is your Saturday paper online? If it's not going to be a huge trouble, I can pm you my addy if you dont mind sending it! That is, if it's not on the net somewhere to save you the hassle.

Thanks again beli, that's a great start. You're right about a stable market lol. I wont bother you with the paper, as it's all just research at this stage.
This has all been extremely helpful though!
:)

Back
Top Bottom