io why? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > It's Official... > It's Official Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2004, 07:54 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Basstrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 10,726
Local Time: 03:25 AM
io why?

I was doing a crossword and it called for what state a certain city was in...and it was a four letter word.

I thought....."There must be a million zillion states with 4 lettes."

but the more I thought about it, the more I could only think of UTAH and OHIO

is this all?
and if so

why?
__________________

__________________
Basstrap is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 08:45 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 12:55 AM

Oh I know this, I remembered all the states in alphabetical order for a song in elementary school. Let me run through them and see!

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkanasas
California
Colorado
Connecticutt
Delware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa

Okay there's another one, IOWA!!

now I'll go on...

Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

There are a total of 3. Some had 5, like Maine and Texas. Some had a four letter word in them, like York or West. But there you go! This was fun!
__________________

__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
Refugee
 
thrillme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: <---over that'a way
Posts: 1,947
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Oh I know this, I remembered all the states in alphabetical order for a song in elementary school. Let me run through them and see!

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkanasas
California
Colorado
Connecticutt
Delware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa

Okay there's another one, IOWA!!

now I'll go on...

Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

There are a total of 3. Some had 5, like Maine and Texas. Some had a four letter word in them, like York or West. But there you go! This was fun!
Did you have to memorize the capitals too. I can still remember most of them, it's the North/south/West named states that I would get confused.
__________________
thrillme is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 12:12 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Yes! But I'm weird, I loved it. I cried for a globe at 5 years old. I collect travel booklets from every state and have been obsessed with liscense plates. I am state crazy! Damn I'd love to go on a game show with a state and capital category and clean up!

While I know not everyone is so into geography and most people get a few wrong or mixed up I found it disturbing that some kids in high school could not point out Washington, DC on a blank map (we were in Virginia) and couldn't tell Wisconsin from New York.
__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 02:34 PM   #5
Refugee
 
thrillme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: <---over that'a way
Posts: 1,947
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Yes! But I'm weird, I loved it. I cried for a globe at 5 years old. I collect travel booklets from every state and have been obsessed with liscense plates. I am state crazy! Damn I'd love to go on a game show with a state and capital category and clean up!

While I know not everyone is so into geography and most people get a few wrong or mixed up I found it disturbing that some kids in high school could not point out Washington, DC on a blank map (we were in Virginia) and couldn't tell Wisconsin from New York.
Hehe Michigan's easy, looks like a hand. (Except that part that is Michigan, but isn't attached to the "hand."

I'm a geography/history buff.

Even sadder was high school kids who couldn't I.D. the U.S. on a blank map.
__________________
thrillme is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
bammo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Posts: 5,660
Local Time: 06:55 AM
I have no idea how you remember all of them. There are some counties in the UK that I haven't even HEARD of, never mind can remember.

(the ones I haven't heard of are mainly in Scotland. I'm looking at a map now, and can count at least 15 counties in Scotland that I had no idea existed.

I mean - Kirkcudbrightshire? lol

Mind you, we don't have to recite counties at school here. All I can remember about geography classes is measuring shop fronts with a trundle wheel and learning about glaciers
__________________
bammo2 is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #7
Refugee
 
thrillme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: <---over that'a way
Posts: 1,947
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bammo2
I have no idea how you remember all of them. There are some counties in the UK that I haven't even HEARD of, never mind can remember.

(the ones I haven't heard of are mainly in Scotland. I'm looking at a map now, and can count at least 15 counties in Scotland that I had no idea existed.

I mean - Kirkcudbrightshire? lol

Mind you, we don't have to recite counties at school here. All I can remember about geography classes is measuring shop fronts with a trundle wheel and learning about glaciers
Oh maybe you're confused about that, when it says "location" in my profile, it's more a state of mind, than a physical thing. However, I do know a lot about Ireland.

hehe, suppose the jig is up, I'm from the U.S. I do like geography though.
__________________
thrillme is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Mullen-Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio/Austin, TX
Posts: 4,951
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Ugh I HATED remembering my capitals. I had a really hard time lol...right now I couldn't tell you but maybe 10 or 15
__________________
Mullen-Girl is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life
 
zoney!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: six metro locations
Posts: 11,289
Local Time: 11:55 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

there should be a geography test to determine who should and should not post in IO
__________________
zoney! is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 03:13 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JessicaAnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Posts: 11,743
Local Time: 12:55 AM
geography ... meh ... I prefer geology.
__________________
JessicaAnn is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 03:14 PM   #11
Refugee
 
thrillme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: <---over that'a way
Posts: 1,947
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Re: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
there should be a geography test to determine who should and should not post in IO
Quick, which hemisphere is Ecuador in?
__________________
thrillme is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 03:17 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life
 
zoney!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: six metro locations
Posts: 11,289
Local Time: 11:55 PM
southern
__________________
zoney! is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 03:27 PM   #13
Refugee
 
thrillme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: <---over that'a way
Posts: 1,947
Local Time: 09:55 PM
Largest state in the U.S.-
1. by size--
2. by population--
__________________
thrillme is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 03:32 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life
 
JessicaAnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Milwaukee, WI (USA)
Posts: 11,743
Local Time: 12:55 AM
By size: Alaska
Population: California
__________________
JessicaAnn is offline  
Old 04-20-2004, 03:37 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life
 
zoney!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: six metro locations
Posts: 11,289
Local Time: 11:55 PM
I guess JessicaAnn is my official spokesperson.

you can call her pavement!
__________________

__________________
zoney! is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com