io why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thrillme said:

Oh maybe you're confused about that, when it says "location" in my profile, it's more a state of mind, than a physical thing. However, I do know a lot about Ireland.

hehe, suppose the jig is up, I'm from the U.S. I do like geography though.

I never thought you were from here :shifty: I'm going to be very picky and annoying here but it really should be ?ire go br?ch which was often seen written on the flags of the United Irishmen. :up: The anglicised form is Erin go bragh but most Irish phrases that are anglicised lose their meaning like Dun nanGall means the fort of the foreigners so they anglicise it to donegal and it loses its meaning which is a shame really.

Last edited:
Lara Mullen said:

I never thought you were from here :shifty: I'm going to be very picky and annoying here but it really should be ?ire go br?ch which was often seen written on the flags of the United Irishmen. :up: The anglicised form is Erin go bragh but most Irish phrases that are anglicised lose their meaning like Dun nanGall means the fort of the foreigners so they anglicise it to donegal and it loses its meaning which is a shame really.

:applaud:

I'm going to be useless when I arrive in Dublin as I never have a clue how to pronouce Irish words/names/place names

I couldn't even cope with Howth. For years I thought it rhymned with Mouth until a man who worked on the DART told me it was pronounced Hoath.

And don't even get me started on Dun Laoghaire :crack: It took lots of 'dun lay-ogg-hairy' type pronunciation before I finally clicked that it was Dun Leary :laugh:

I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I :heart: the Irish language. I'd like to try to learn some whilst I'm over there :yes:

bammo2 said:

And don't even get me started on Dun Laoghaire :crack: It took lots of 'dun lay-ogg-hairy' type pronunciation before I finally clicked that it was Dun Leary :laugh:

Lol :laugh:
I like listening to my friends pronouncing irish names, Caoimhghin is my favourite. :up:

najeena said:
I learned that song too.

'Fifty Nifty U-nited states, from thirteen original col-o-nies... add up to UUU... SSS... AAA!!!

If only someone would offer me a thousand dollars to recite the states from memory. Hell, it could still happen.

Yes, that's the song! :applaud: :dance: Do they even still sing that anymore? It was a good way for kids to learn. They should still use it.

1000 dollars would be nice. Like I said about the game show, I've always wished I could put this to use somewhere it would matter:sigh:

Lara Mullen said:

Hehe, yeah I know. I thought if I put the original form, only Irish people would know what it meant, and everyone else wondering what I'm on about. AND, this other site I go to, only allows English in profiles, so just to be safe, I went with the 'Anglicised' version, apologies to the real Irish folk here. :reject:

I got a book, "Teach yourself Irish", it's pretty cool, but yeah, I have to photocopy the pronunciation pages, so I can go to the next chapters. I know a little Spanish, so I'm used to some things, verbs and noun placements.

You familiar with St. Patrick's Battalion, "Mexico's Fighting Irish" ? I learned about them in one of my Spanish studies classes, had no idea, and I'm Mexican-American "double"--> :reject:

Last edited:
nobody has answered my original questions

bunch of sods

thrillme said:

You familiar with St. Patrick's Battalion, "Mexico's Fighting Irish" ? I learned about them in one of my Spanish studies classes, had no idea, and I'm Mexican-American "double"--> :reject:

Not really, a bit, I think the San Patricios (I think :slant: ) were founded by some bloke from Galway (Galway :heart: :drool: ) and they fought in the us/mexican war around the 1840's (1847 - 49 or something), I think they left the US army because they were treated realy badly and didn't want to fight against Mexico so joined their forces. I don't really know anything about St. Patrick's Battalion...obviously :D

bammo2 said:
I mean - Kirkcudbrightshire? :shrug: lol

Kirkcudbrightshire (pronounced Kir-co-bee- shire, I believe) is where my ancestors orginated from. Yep, my family packed up their tailor making business, all the kids, and the rest of the familys remains from the cemetery and migrated to either Sussex St, Sydney or the Necropolis (as appropriate) :|

Last edited:
zoney! said:
antartica
north America
South America
Europe
Asia
Africa
Australia

Last I heard Australia isnt a continent anymore. Apparently now its the Worlds Biggest Island. or sumfin. I can never keep up with these things. Same goes with how many planets there are. :|

Basstrap said:
so you did salome....so you did

and I didn't? Whatever :sigh:

IOWA
UTAH
OHIO

Why? I would say because most of them are Native American names that are long when sounded out in English.

Ah but the truth is never funny or entertaining. Go back to your chickens :sigh:

Seeee...seeee...U2Kitten gets the anti-concept of IO...why don't others?

U2Kitten said:
Ah but the truth is never funny or entertaining. Go back to your chickens :sigh:

:hug: :applaud:

Welcome to the kingdom of IO, where truths and reality get shoved through meat grinders and made into cocktail weinies! :hyper:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom