io why? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > It's Official... > It's Official Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bammo2

Australasia is the continent that consists of Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and a shit load of Pacific Islands
That would make a great slogan for the tourism bureau

Old 04-21-2004, 05:53 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Fifty Nifty

Old 04-21-2004, 06:50 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme

Oh maybe you're confused about that, when it says "location" in my profile, it's more a state of mind, than a physical thing. However, I do know a lot about Ireland.

hehe, suppose the jig is up, I'm from the U.S. I do like geography though.
I never thought you were from here I'm going to be very picky and annoying here but it really should be Éire go brách which was often seen written on the flags of the United Irishmen. The anglicised form is Erin go bragh but most Irish phrases that are anglicised lose their meaning like Dun nanGall means the fort of the foreigners so they anglicise it to donegal and it loses its meaning which is a shame really.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:02 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:48 AM
to Lara!!!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:44 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

I never thought you were from here I'm going to be very picky and annoying here but it really should be Éire go brách which was often seen written on the flags of the United Irishmen. The anglicised form is Erin go bragh but most Irish phrases that are anglicised lose their meaning like Dun nanGall means the fort of the foreigners so they anglicise it to donegal and it loses its meaning which is a shame really.

I'm going to be useless when I arrive in Dublin as I never have a clue how to pronouce Irish words/names/place names

I couldn't even cope with Howth. For years I thought it rhymned with Mouth until a man who worked on the DART told me it was pronounced Hoath.

And don't even get me started on Dun Laoghaire It took lots of 'dun lay-ogg-hairy' type pronunciation before I finally clicked that it was Dun Leary

I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I the Irish language. I'd like to try to learn some whilst I'm over there
Old 04-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

And don't even get me started on Dun Laoghaire It took lots of 'dun lay-ogg-hairy' type pronunciation before I finally clicked that it was Dun Leary

Lol
I like listening to my friends pronouncing irish names, Caoimhghin is my favourite.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:39 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
I learned that song too.

'Fifty Nifty U-nited states, from thirteen original col-o-nies... add up to UUU... SSS... AAA!!!

If only someone would offer me a thousand dollars to recite the states from memory. Hell, it could still happen.
Yes, that's the song! Do they even still sing that anymore? It was a good way for kids to learn. They should still use it.

1000 dollars would be nice. Like I said about the game show, I've always wished I could put this to use somewhere it would matter
Old 04-23-2004, 01:22 PM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

Hehe, yeah I know. I thought if I put the original form, only Irish people would know what it meant, and everyone else wondering what I'm on about. AND, this other site I go to, only allows English in profiles, so just to be safe, I went with the 'Anglicised' version, apologies to the real Irish folk here.

I got a book, "Teach yourself Irish", it's pretty cool, but yeah, I have to photocopy the pronunciation pages, so I can go to the next chapters. I know a little Spanish, so I'm used to some things, verbs and noun placements.

You familiar with St. Patrick's Battalion, "Mexico's Fighting Irish" ? I learned about them in one of my Spanish studies classes, had no idea, and I'm Mexican-American "double"-->
Old 04-23-2004, 05:58 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:18 AM
nobody has answered my original questions

bunch of sods
Old 04-23-2004, 07:16 PM   #40
you are what you is

I actually did
I think
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

I did too! I added IOWA to your list, there are 3!
Old 04-24-2004, 09:46 AM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme

You familiar with St. Patrick's Battalion, "Mexico's Fighting Irish" ? I learned about them in one of my Spanish studies classes, had no idea, and I'm Mexican-American "double"-->

Not really, a bit, I think the San Patricios (I think ) were founded by some bloke from Galway (Galway ) and they fought in the us/mexican war around the 1840's (1847 - 49 or something), I think they left the US army because they were treated realy badly and didn't want to fight against Mexico so joined their forces. I don't really know anything about St. Patrick's Battalion...obviously
Old 04-24-2004, 07:13 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:18 AM
so you did salome....so you did
Old 04-24-2004, 08:32 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:48 PM
Quote:
I mean - Kirkcudbrightshire? lol

Kirkcudbrightshire (pronounced Kir-co-bee- shire, I believe) is where my ancestors orginated from. Yep, my family packed up their tailor making business, all the kids, and the rest of the familys remains from the cemetery and migrated to either Sussex St, Sydney or the Necropolis (as appropriate)
Old 04-24-2004, 08:35 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
antartica
north America
South America
Europe
Asia
Africa
Australia

Last I heard Australia isnt a continent anymore. Apparently now its the Worlds Biggest Island. or sumfin. I can never keep up with these things. Same goes with how many planets there are.