IO: What a terrible day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I wake up this morning. Everything seems normal. For a few short minutes, life doesn't suck. Just a few minutes later, my dad tells me that my computer is dead.

OK, let's rewind for a second.

A few days ago, I stupidly downloaded the new Go! Team record off of some remote MP3 site. Things seemed normal for a little while, but the next day, the computer was glitchy, and now this happens. My computer is still not functioning, and there's a good chance my entire hard drive has been wiped. (20 gigabytes of music, countless comedy scripts, my cartoons...:sad: :sad: :sad: ) What horrible bastard loads up sites with viruses just for the hell of it? :madspit: Cost for a new OS? $150-$200.

But that's not all. While we were attempting to fix my PC, my dad's computer dies for no apparent reason. We were able to get it working again, but who knows if/when it will happen again.

So, let me reiterate:

Today sucked hard. :(

:faint: Well, a miracle has just occurred.

After taking a look around for a product key number on our computer, we found it, and were able to set up the computer again from scratch. The best part? The vast majority of my files are still intact! :happy: There is no firewall on it, however, so it's open to all kinds of viruses at this point. :|

But still...

Saved $150? Check.

Files are still available? Check.

I think this horrible story had a happy ending. :up:

:hug: glad it's ok, and when you don't have a firewall, just don't download stuff and you'll be ok :) get a new firewall soon :wink:

LemonMelon said:
:faint: Well, a miracle has just occurred.

After taking a look around for a product key number on our computer, we found it, and were able to set up the computer again from scratch. The best part? The vast majority of my files are still intact! :happy: There is no firewall on it, however, so it's open to all kinds of viruses at this point. :|

But still...

Saved $150? Check.

Files are still available? Check.

I think this horrible story had a happy ending. :up:

At least there was some silver lining. :up:

When something's wrong with your computer, it's one of the scariest feelings in the world. I can still remember water hitting my old badass laptop and smelling the smoke coming out...

I'm getting my own computer next week (well, this old thing is moving upstairs to my room) for the first time, I'm going to be very careful for a while with it.

Although I need to get iTunes on it, which this one doesn't have.

phillyfan26 said:
I'm getting my own computer next week (well, this old thing is moving upstairs to my room) for the first time, I'm going to be very careful for a while with it.

Although I need to get iTunes on it, which this one doesn't have.

Might I suggest getting AVG are your virus-protection program. It's free, doesn't take up much space, and is just as good if not better than Norton.

My computer is totally virus-infested now. It's time to get serious and do a clean install. Of course, I'll have to stock up on flash drives and get my important files out of there, but it'll be worth it.

I cant get my head round why TWATS do these virus things.

Dunno about where you are but there is a 500GB external hard drive going for £65 here which is about $130. I fancy one....and will think about it if i ever fill my remaining 200GB of available space. I hate clogging up my hard drives:huh:

LemonMacPhisto said:

Might I suggest getting AVG are your virus-protection program. It's free, doesn't take up much space, and is just as good if not better than Norton.

:yes: It's like biting a man's ear off. I'm not proud of it, but it's gotten me out of many a jam.

51999805_b811fe653d.jpg

I got AVG free edition on both comps. and run windows firewall with AVG anti spyware (free). Touch wood..............seem to avoid problems

Back
Top Bottom