IO: We have gone insane and are taking the kids with us. LOL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russty Cat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Mr. Cat and I have officially lost our minds. We are currently living in California. Two weeks ago we drove to Oregon to visit a friend and sort of bought a hundred year old church while we were there. :eek: :lol:

Yep you heard me right a huge motherfucking 108 year old to be exact church.
Wallowa3069.jpg

So we came home put our house here on the market and we are moving our family to Oregon. Its been a whirlwind few weeks, but I can't wait till we are living in our new 4300 square feet of wicked coolness. hehe

I do have to admit though part of me thinks we are bit insane. :wink: but at least we keep life fun. :giggle:

It does look like a fascinating prospect..given the possibilities of what you could do and create inside. I like indeed..

-----------------------------
People say that you'll die
faster than without water.
But we know it's just a lie,
scare your son, scare your daughter

Oh wow!

That is definitely random but very exciting! What do you plan to do with it or are you leaving it as is?

Congrats!

:up: Wow! Imagine the possibilities of what could be done to that historic Bldg!

And to think of the number of people who through all those years were in and out of that Bldg. That is soooo cool!

Good luck to you all!

were you in Oregon with any intention of maybe moving there?
Or did you just see a Church and say, "hey, let's live there?"

and by the way, won't it be weird living in a Church!!

Regardless! Congratulations! I am in awe of your spontinaity

Congrats! whereabouts in Oregon is your new abode? BAW and I have fallen for Bend; that's my yearly golf outing....maybe we'll see you there sometime...

ps...for those of you thinking of moving to Orange County, CA....today's headline reads "O.C. Median House Sales hit $621,000..."

(that's for a medium, no-frills 3br/2 bath fixer upper ((if you're lucky)) !!)

Congrats again Russty Cat!

Mr. BAW said:
..for those of you thinking of moving to Orange County, CA....today's headline reads "O.C. Median House Sales hit $621,000..."

:yikes: THAT is fucking insane!

Congrats on your purchase, though, RC. That definitely ranks high among the list of ununusal homes I've seen! :yes: :cool: :up:

Thanks everyone! I'm getting more and more excited about it. :hyper:

We will be living in the first floor which is technically the basement. But you enter from the back at street level. Its already been converted to a beautiful 3 bedroom living space with a bonus computer room. The upstairs is still the original sancutary with a stage at one end and a commercial grade kitchen off to the side. I'm planning on opening an antiques, vintage clothes, and hand made art boutique in it. My friend already owns a shop in town so we will be sister stores. I am the jack of all trades and use to be a caterer/chef so we might eventually rent it out for small weddings as well.

Shaynar we went to Oregon for the weekend to visit my friend and look at the church. It was sort of a joke. Like come see this beautiful building that will probably be a total piece of crap in person. I really didn't think we would like it and actually buy it. I've wanted to move to Oregon for years, but Mr. Cat always said he wasn't ready. But I think he realized this was a huge dream for me and thought why not. I've always wanted to live in a cool old building and this is just about the coolest we've seen and could afford.

Mr. Baw I love Bend! Its such a great town! We have to drive thru Bend to get to Wallowa where our new house is. Wallowa is about 6 hours from Bend. Funny thing Mr. Cat and I grew up in Orange County. 8 years ago we left cuz the prices where just getting to be insane. I can't even imagine going back there now. My parents sold their 30 year old home last year for close to a $875,000! It sold in a day! I couldn't believe it. :eek: It was a great place to grow up, but just way to expensive now for a mechanic and an artist to afford. :lol:

Ocean Girl we have a six year old and an 18 month old. The baby hasn't said much yet about the move. :wink: But the six year old loves the house. She thinks its cool we will have our own elevator and according to her "a house bigger then grandma and grandpas!" formerly the biggest house she had been in. :lol:

Cutest thing happened when we were looking at the house, we were up in the sancutuary looking around and Mini-cat started running around in circles practically screaming the lyrics to Vertigo. Mr. Cat looked at her like she was crazy. She stopped after a few lines and then said very seriously "I'm just trying to see what Bono would sound like in here." Gave the thumbs up and walked off to keep exploring. :lmao: Gotta love a kid who has her priorities in order. We've already discussed getting big speakers to hook the ipod too so we can blare music in there. :giggle:

MissVelvet I'm a bit like Bono in the sense that I figure God loves me for who I am and goes with me everywhere. He has gotten use to me swearing like a sailor. :wink: It will be a bit strange though doing it in a church, even though it is my house.

And there will be some big parties. I mean come on if you had like a 2250 sq feet of free space you can't tell me you wouldn't throw a party. :evil:

Russty Cat said:
I'm planning on opening an antiques, vintage clothes, and hand made art boutique in it.

And there will be some big parties. I mean come on if you had like a 2250 sq feet of free space you can't tell me you wouldn't throw a party. :evil:

rock on :up:

Russty Cat said:

MissVelvet I'm a bit like Bono in the sense that I figure God loves me for who I am and goes with me everywhere. He has gotten use to me swearing like a sailor. :wink: It will be a bit strange though doing it in a church, even though it is my house.

It has a bit of romantic appeal to it! :)

anyway congrats on the new house. Maybe you can be featured on HGTV's special about unusal homes.

Re: Re: IO: We have gone insane and are taking the kids with us. LOL

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
:lmao: :heart: I love that motherfucking and church are in the same sentence.

:giggle: I liked that, too. Wonder if it means we're headed for Hell? :ohmy:

Oh well, so long as I'm greeted by :macdevil:, it's all good. :lol:

Very cool. There must be great energy in that building.

What does Mr. Cat do for a living that is so easy to pick up and move? Of course, don't answer that if it's TMI. :ohmy:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

It has a bit of romantic appeal to it! :)

anyway congrats on the new house. Maybe you can be featured on HGTV's special about unusal homes.

:up: :up: :up: This would be soooo cool! Someone needs to write the producers of the show now!!

How far is Wallowa from Hillsboro/Portland? That's where my sister is. Maybe when I visit her I ought to stop by to say hello! I would LOVE to see the place. I think the whole idea is just so very cool, even better than a dream come true! I hope you all enjoy it! :hug:

Public if I told you what he did I would have to kill you. :wink: :giggle: He's really a mechanic. When we move he will be working for a company fixing Tractors and farm equipment. He has been fixing cars for the last 12 years so that will be a nice change for him.

Carek Portland is about 5 hours away. But your more then welcome to make a trip out to us anytime. :D Its beautiful country. I love Portland though as well. I've always wanted to move to Portland we vacation there a few times a year, cuz one of my best friends lives there. It will be nice to be closer to it now. :hug:

Doozer the population of Wallowa is about 700 people. Its pretty small, but there are 3 other towns close so we aren't all alone. Good job getting Mr. Baw hooked on Bend! I can't say enough good things about it. Four of my favorite West Coast spots are San Fran, Bend, Portland, and Seattle. :heart:

Russty - were/are you in O.C.? What about the change from the big city to the SMALL town? Are you ready for that? Just curious...

Mr. BAW said:

ps...for those of you thinking of moving to Orange County, CA....today's headline reads "O.C. Median House Sales hit $621,000..."

Congrats again Russty Cat!

i live here in westchester, CA (near LAX) . . . in 1997 my parents bought this 3 bed 2 bath house for $262,000 -- and we just sold it for $650,000 :huh:

Lila64 said:
Russty - were/are you in O.C.? What about the change from the big city to the SMALL town? Are you ready for that? Just curious...

Lila Mr. Cat and I grew up in O.C. We lived in Yorba Linda for the first 20 odd years of our life. But 8 years ago we moved way up north to Redding. Its a smaller town, but not near as small as the one we are moving too now. We have both always wanted to live in a smaller town. I think growing up in the insanity that was the OC when we were kids we are ready to have a nice slow life with our kids. Lets just say I was not a good teenager/twenty something and I don't want my kids exposed so easily to some of the things I got into.

I :applaud: your "chutzpah" (translation: nerve).

I grew up in L.A./Hollywood, and moved out to the suburbs about 13-14 years ago. I can still travel into L.A., but I don't do it very often. Maybe to visit a friend or two or favorite restaurant, etc. Still like going to Farmer's Market (now known as 'The Grove').
So this city still has about 100,000+ people, it's still smaller (and more boring yet less crowded) than where I grew up.

It sounds like an exciting adventure :hyper:

and it sounds like the kids are young enough where if you make the move now, it won't be as traumatic as when they are older and have forged bonds/friendships with others. My daughter had one of her best friends move - she lived around the block (they could climb the fence to visit). And she moved alright - to AUSTRALIA. Makes it kinda hard to visit. She was going into 4th grade at the time. They still keep in touch, and her family came back to town for Xmas 2004 to visit and such. I know her friend may have 'adjusted' to her new home and such, but I don't think she has any close friendships like she had here. Sorry I digressed. :shifty:

So when do you move???

Nice house! :up: I would love to live in an old church (though "old church" here means built in in the 14th century).

Russty Cat said:
Portland is about 5 hours away.

I know I've lived in England too long when I'm amazed that someone can drive for five hours and still be in the same state. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom