IO -United lost my luggage....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shouldnt united buy underwear for you? ask for a stewardess to help you with that.

Is it truly lost, or just misrouted?

they are called flight attendants, not stewardesses.

I could go on and on...but since this isn't really IO material (my post or the thread), I will end it at that.

Helps any AirTran stranded me at two different airports each time I flew them! :lol: Have never had the misfortune though of having my luggage lost. Carry on one and check one and so far it's been going good with that! lol. Hope you are able to recover your luggage somehow.

zoney! said:
go for it...especially if you like hot coffee in your lap!

:hyper:

:lmao:

How come flight attendant is more politcally correct than stewardess? Seriously. And anyway, if it is, what do I care?

My stewardess never complained... gorgeous Swissair :hyper:

last spring i found my luggage, and united had broken the zipper off, and taped the luggage together, claiming i had put a lock on the bag.

BonosBaby12 said:
Helps any AirTran stranded me at two different airports each time I flew them! :lol: Have never had the misfortune though of having my luggage lost. Carry on one and check one and so far it's been going good with that! lol. Hope you are able to recover your luggage somehow. [/QUOTE

Same here BonosBaby12. I hope that it will never happen with me, cause that would really suck.

if this doesn't kill the thread..

00Kevin said:
last spring i found my luggage, and united had broken the zipper off, and taped the luggage together, claiming i had put a lock on the bag.

You didn't putr a lock on it (that TSA would have had to cut off to search your bag)?

If not, how well was your bag manufactured? Was it a cheap bag?

Luggage is made to protect the contents inside...or it SHOULD be made to protect contents. If your zipper breaks and they have to tape the bag...I would question the manufacturer of the bag.

I would say that 50% of the luggage issues stem from a lack of knowledge from a passenger's standpoint. Airlines are legally obligated to take a claim, BUT, are not always legally obligated to correct the perceived problem.

Remeber...luggage goes through conveyors and when they are in the aircraft, they are stacked with every other piece of every person sitting around you.

So, that guy in 13E that just spent the week fishing in Canada...his "catch of the week" is resting on top of your luggage with your undies (I bet those undies will smell nice when they get home).

The woman in 23D...she is headed to college from Korea, and she did not expect to find Kim Chee near her little college. That Kim Chee has been in her luggage for 26 hours...and the smell is wafting RIGHT into that shirt you purchased for your neighbor...you know the one: "My neighbor went to (insert city here) and all I got was this T-shirt"
Your neighbor will LOVE smelling like Kim Chee.

What I am saying is...STUFF HAPPENS. Relax and be understanding of the situation. DON'T PACK your car keys...your medications that keep you alive...always carry-on a change of clothing.

...this will

BonosBaby12 said:
Could you just imagine who your clothes could end up with? :ohmy:. That's quite disturbing in itself,lol.

You know what is lame...when passengers do not realize they are picking up someone elses bag...and walk out of the airport. They get home...and OH LOOK...that isn't MY "adult toy".

:yes:

OR, they claim their luggage wasn't on the carousel...their bag had a pink ribbon on it. Then you pick up the bag, and look at the name on the tag...and remind them that they ARE still (insert passenger's name here).

This happens tow or three times a day.

Re: if this doesn't kill the thread..

zoney! said:

You didn't putr a lock on it (that TSA would have had to cut off to search your bag)?

Luggage is made to protect the contents inside...or it SHOULD be made to protect contents. If your zipper breaks and they have to tape the bag...I would question the manufacturer of the bag.

I would say that 50% of the luggage issues stem from a lack of knowledge from a passenger's standpoint. Airlines are legally obligated to take a claim, BUT, are not always legally obligated to correct the perceived problem.

Imho you are totally wrong.

I don´t want to go into into details of all the trouble I had with the TSA, but they are incompetent and unfriendly.

You can also believe me that my backpack was a very professional, well manufactured one, without any lock, and it didn´t break. They simply cut it opened and taped it, apparently because they were too lazy to open it regularly. However, its not the TSA that pays repairing in the end (or takes any other responsibility) but the airlines. And the traveller loses time.

I have been travelling for many years, and stuff like that never happened before, so it is not all natural and the passengers fault.

Also, the luggage systems are fucked up, about 20% of the bags are delayed, go on the wrong flights, etc. Few are lost, but it always costs the traveller incredibly much time to get them.

STUFF HAPPENS? Take a change of clothing in your handbag? Thats nice tips, but - first the airlines should be obliged to make their damn transport system work!

Just my 2c.

Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Imho you are totally wrong.

I don´t want to go into into details of all the trouble I had with the TSA, but they are incompetent and unfriendly.

You can also believe me that my backpack was a very professional, well manufactured one, without any lock, and it didn´t break. They simply cut it opened and taped it, apparently because they were too lazy to open it regularly. However, its not the TSA that pays repairing in the end (or takes any other responsibility) but the airlines. And the traveller loses time.

I have been travelling for many years, and stuff like that never happened before, so it is not all natural and the passengers fault.

Also, the luggage systems are fucked up, about 20% of the bags are delayed, go on the wrong flights, etc. Few are lost, but it always costs the traveller incredibly much time to get them.

STUFF HAPPENS? Take a change of clothing in your handbag? Thats nice tips, but - first the airlines should be obliged to make their damn transport system work!

Just my 2c.

Don't tell me I am wrong when you say you "you have been travelling for years"...you are obviously CLUELESS and ignorant (still calling them stewardess). Travel has changed a lot of the years. I never said it is ALL the passengers fault. READ WITH CARE BEFORE YOU WRITE.

I spend 45-80 hours a week at airports and/or dealing with passengers.

20%? again...clueless. Maybe in Europe...but in the US, it is more like 5% of all passengers. In August, 339,804 DELAYED luggage reports were filed. 53,890,105 passenger flew. Close to 54Million passengers....less than 340,000 claims. that's a touch above 6%....and with hurricane Katrina thrown in there.

In August 2004, U.S. carriers took less than 5% claims versus passengers. 2005 has seen close to 2million more passengers fly during the month of August.

Again...5% get inconvenienced. I do not have the statistics, but I would say that of the 340,000 claims taken, that 90% to 95% received their luggage within 24 hours of their arrival (most on the next inbound).

Damage and pilferage claims are even fewer.

Again...5%...in other words...stuff happens.

If you want me to outline all the rules about luggage I will. YES, airlines end up having to recover for TSA. I cannot speak for the TSA...but if you were inconvenienced by them, I would believe there must have been a good reason. They are not there to be friendly. They are there to screen passengers. Again...I really cannot speak for your situation.

Re: Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

zoney! said:

Don't tell me I am wrong when you say you "you have been travelling for years"...you are obviously CLUELESS and ignorant (still calling them stewardess). Travel has changed a lot of the years. I never said it is ALL the passengers fault. READ WITH CARE BEFORE YOU WRITE.

I spend 45-80 hours a week at airports and/or dealing with passengers.

20%? again...clueless. Maybe in Europe...but in the US, it is more like 5% of all passengers. In August, 339,804 DELAYED luggage reports were filed. 53,890,105 passenger flew. Close to 54Million passengers....less than 340,000 claims. that's a touch above 6%....and with hurricane Katrina thrown in there.

In August 2004, U.S. carriers took less than 5% claims versus passengers. 2005 has seen close to 2million more passengers fly during the month of August.

Again...5% get inconvenienced. I do not have the statistics, but I would say that of the 340,000 claims taken, that 90% to 95% received their luggage within 24 hours of their arrival (most on the next inbound).

Damage and pilferage claims are even fewer.

Again...5%...in other words...stuff happens.

If you want me to outline all the rules about luggage I will. YES, airlines end up having to recover for TSA. I cannot speak for the TSA...but if you were inconvenienced by them, I would believe there must have been a good reason. They are not there to be friendly. They are there to screen passengers. Again...I really cannot speak for your situation.

Zoney, I´m not clueless and ignorant. I never got personal, I just said that imho you´re wrong.

For you I might seem ignorant, since you´re obviously in the business, but for me and for the majority of passengers it is ok to call flight attendants stewardesses. Here, flight attendantit would simply sound unnatural, too. It means "Flugbegleiter" in German, and nobody uses that wording (except of travel agencies and airlines maybe). Maybe you can also tell me what is wrong with the expression? I asked you for an explanation and you haven´t provided any. Is the expression steward or stewardess in some way offensive? Sexually? Racially? How come?

Also, I didn´t know the statistics. Your math is wrong. 340.000 bags out of 54 million means about 0,6%, not 6%. Apparently the airlines score better than I thought. But, when is it a claim? Is it already a claim when the bag is delayed for two days? No, it isn´t. You see, I am speaking of personal experience, I did 13 flights, and at three of them, my luggage was treated wrong - twice it was delayed, and once it was ruined. [Oh another time I had problems because I carried a scissor in the hand luggage, but I understand that - that´s my mistake]. However, I complained on some papers to get them back, but I didn´t file an official claim. i think it depends on the counting, and I know many more persons than those 0,6% have a problem with their baggage on flights, officially claimed or not claimed. Indeed, mosdt of the bags are returned within 48 hours. There´s only a claim when the baggage is officialy lost. Anyway, those 48 hours of delay means the traveller can´t continue his trip like he planned to.

So lets talk reality and acknowledge that the percentage of official claims has nothing to do with the number of unsatisfied customers for delayed baggage.

Also, there are interesting statistics about luggage problems with he airlines, last year air travel increased about 5% amongst air travelers but complaints about baggage doubled, see http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/Lost luggage, what to do.htm for details.

Three of my 13 flights were overbooked. The airlines do that intentionally, calculating some passengers will miss the plane or not use their ticket. then there starts the trouble: They offer compensation to the people if they take a later flight. What kind of chaotic business is that?

Another article on http://www.ticked.com/cheapcharlie/2000/chbag.htm

"Virtually everyone who has flown has heard stories about missing bags and lost luggage. Though the airlines try to put a benign face on the problem and couch the "numbers" in per-thousand terminology (as mandated by the federal government) they know they have a problem.

United Airlines -7.79 bags per 1,000 passengers
Alaska -7.27
Northwest - 6.63
TWA - 5.39
Southwest - 4.53
American - 4.40
Delta - 4.27
US Airways - 4.09
Continental - 4.06
America West - 3.88

This means that one bag is lost for about every 250 to 130 passengers. Another way to look at it - one passenger on every flight will lose their luggage. And remember, these statistics are only the lost luggage that is reported to DOT. Simple misrouted luggage doesn't make it to this mix."

As to the TSA, that´s a comletely different story which I descirbed in a couple of my previous posts, also here on Interference. The TSA is not there to be friendly? Wow. You´re definitely right - I realized that quite clearly.

Usually, being friendly goes with a normal business attitude. I know they have to screen the passengers, but to imply that they have to be unfriendly to do that, is a little far-fetched. Immigration officals also have to check your passport, they don´t have to be friendly. But usually they are, because they are professionals. The TSA is part of the Dept. of Homeland Security... nuff said.

We can go into that in detail, but only if you are interested and stop dissin´.

Last edited:
Re: ...this will

zoney! said:

You know what is lame...when passengers do not realize they are picking up someone elses bag...and walk out of the airport. They get home...and OH LOOK...that isn't MY "adult toy".

:yes:

OR, they claim their luggage wasn't on the carousel...their bag had a pink ribbon on it. Then you pick up the bag, and look at the name on the tag...and remind them that they ARE still (insert passenger's name here).

This happens tow or three times a day.

Ughhhh I hate when they do that! lol. How hard is it to just check the name tag?! lol. Even though Im positive it's my bag when I pick it up I STILL check the tag just to be sure,lol.

Re: Re: Re: Re: if this doesn't kill the thread......

This means that one bag is lost for about every 250 to 130 passengers. Another way to look at it - one passenger on every flight will lose their luggage. And remember, these statistics are only the lost luggage that is reported to DOT. Simple misrouted luggage doesn't make it to this mix."

´.

My luggage has been lost but eventually found 5 times! I've asked when I check my bags if there is anything I can do different to get my bags on the other end. I was hoping there was a secret I was missing out on.

I have some friends who are flight attendants and the DO NOT like being called stewardesses. Of course they'd never say that to a customer but it offends them nonetheless :shrug:

Update....

No luck, it's been 3 days and no sign of my luggage....

It's too bad because besides my clothes...there was some product that I received from my Corporation for free.....expensive stuff......now United is gonna have to pay up for it.

For the most part, the people over the telephone have been very nice...but some of the idiots in LAX...OMG, what a bunch of human waste.....IDIOTS! (Napoleon Dynamite voice)

How come flight attendant is more politcally correct than stewardess? Seriously. And anyway, if it is, what do I care?

why should you care? because the blatant sexism of the sixties is over, along with them having to wear super short skirts while they work with passengers who are sitting at ass-level.

and out of curiosity, what would you call a male flight attendant? a steward?

:slant:

they aren't all women.

My stewardess never complained...

lol, yes, not to your face.

Re: if this doesn't kill the thread..

zoney! said:

Remeber...luggage goes through conveyors and when they are in the aircraft, they are stacked with every other piece of every person sitting around you.

So, that guy in 13E that just spent the week fishing in Canada...his "catch of the week" is resting on top of your luggage with your undies (I bet those undies will smell nice when they get home).

The woman in 23D...she is headed to college from Korea, and she did not expect to find Kim Chee near her little college. That Kim Chee has been in her luggage for 26 hours...and the smell is wafting RIGHT into that shirt you purchased for your neighbor...you know the one: "My neighbor went to (insert city here) and all I got was this T-shirt"
Your neighbor will LOVE smelling like Kim Chee.

What I am saying is...STUFF HAPPENS. Relax and be understanding of the situation. DON'T PACK your car keys...your medications that keep you alive...always carry-on a change of clothing.

actually, sometimes the zipper got jammed if you tried to open it, but it didn't take much effort to fix it

bonosgirl84 said:

why should you care? because the blatant sexism of the sixties is over, along with them having to wear super short skirts while they work with passengers who are sitting at ass-level.

and out of curiosity, what would you call a male flight attendant? a steward?

:slant:

they aren't all women.
lol, yes, not to your face.

Bullshit. Are you drunk.

The difference is that I think the expression stewardess per se is not sexist. I don´t know how you come to connect the word stewardess to the "blatant sexism of the sixties is over, along with them having to wear super short skirts while they work with passengers who are sitting at ass-level".
ohboy.gif
Thats such a cliché.

Imo the 60yr old heavy-weight female flight attendant who worked on my flight from Hawaii to Dallas was a stewardess too. Here its not offensive to say steward or stewardess. We also say skipper, not yacht attendant. :|

RedrocksU2 said:
Update....

No luck, it's been 3 days and no sign of my luggage....

It's too bad because besides my clothes...there was some product that I received from my Corporation for free.....expensive stuff......now United is gonna have to pay up for it.

For the most part, the people over the telephone have been very nice...but some of the idiots in LAX...OMG, what a bunch of human waste.....IDIOTS! (Napoleon Dynamite voice)

that sucks, carlos. i hope everything is recovered or they pay up.

Back
Top Bottom