IO -United lost my luggage....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can I confess something here.......?
...you guys write such long replies, that I haven't read a single one of them...........:reject:........

zoney! said:
Airline ticket prices in the U.S. have not changed in the past 15-20 years. What other products can you say that about?
this is a good point. in the late 80s, back when gas was less than $1 a gallon here, it cost me just about $200 to fly from orlando to bwi to visit my relatives as i'd do over summer break as a kid. in the mid 90s, it cost me the same to fly from memphis to orlando. gas had gone up a few pennies. in the late 90s, it cost me $200 to fly from memphis to bwi, with gas being about $1.19 here. these days? memphis to bwi is still right around $200, but gas is about $3.39 here. so gas has more than tripled in the past 15 years yet it still costs me the same to fly the same distance. and i know they aren't getting discounts on gas.

and i don't think last minute airfare prices are all that horrible. i've flown out of town for funerals at the last minute before and the regular rate was even cheaper than the bereavement rate.

i like flying, and when i look around at airports, it seems like i'm one of the few who seems to be able to relax and just go with the flow with things. my carry-on is too big? no big deal, i'll check it instead. flight's delayed? i'll go grab a bite to eat. i don't get why people have to be so pissed off that they have to wait in line to have their bags x-rayed or that the ticket lines are long. shit happens, and it's not the employees' fault.

KhanadaRhodes said:
i like flying, and when i look around at airports, it seems like i'm one of the few who seems to be able to relax and just go with the flow with things. my carry-on is too big? no big deal, i'll check it instead. flight's delayed? i'll go grab a bite to eat. i don't get why people have to be so pissed off that they have to wait in line to have their bags x-rayed or that the ticket lines are long. shit happens, and it's not the employees' fault.

Exellent point.

The front-line agents take a beating everyday...they do an amazing job.

I wish there were more KRs out there flying.

I feel like I am not going to win with you hiphop. You are starting to sound like "that one passenger" - so I am officially done with the conversation.

RedrocksU2 said:
Can I confess something here.......?
...you guys write such long replies, that I haven't read a single one of them...........:reject:........

Often I think the length of a post is directly related to the amount of BS in that post.... ;)

THis is the letter published in the USA Today on Wed. A good read!

Why hold airline industry to different standards?
Reader Gary Colvin wrote that Northwest Airlines lacked compassion in dealing with his wife's emergency medical circumstances. There's a lot more to Colvin's story than meets the eye ("Ailing airline lacks compassion," Letters, Friday).

As an employee of Northwest Airlines for 19 years, I feel the need to defend my company.

The Internet now allows the traveling public fee options. While we certainly would sympathize with the fact that Colvin was trying to get his wife to proper medical treatment at the Mayo Clinic, he apparently missed the seven-day advance booking the better Internet fare had required. Northwest Airlines is a business, not a charitable organization.

What other industry would a customer ask for or even expect a special discount because of extraordinary circumstances?

Is the surgeon discounting his fees? Are the mortgage and utility companies going to discount payments because a family member is in need of important medical treatment? How about the grocery store? If not, do the other businesses lack compassion, too?

I wish people would see things from the airline's perspective.

What other industry's pricing is such that it is less than 30 years ago?

There are thousands of people losing their jobs and getting pay cuts that equal what many workers were earning 10 years ago. I find it unfortunate that in today's pricing environment, many fares are below the costs of delivering the product to the customer.

And by the way, customer service does not always mean giving everyone what he or she wants.

The extraordinary folks at the Mayo Clinic were doing their jobs, as was, I am sure, the Northwest representative. Good customer service, in some cases, is a matter of interpretation.

Sandra Rhodes, Palm Harbor, Fla.

Update.

Well, United send me a check for $621 (out of the $800+ I requested) for the missing luggage.
They said that they would not cover any electronic equipment.......so the Bose QC2's headphones I received in Orlando............are not included.
Luckily, my Corporation send me another pair.
Moral of the story........do not pack any electronic devices in your luggage.....

:|

....I'm flying to Boston in late March again.....I wonder if I should use another Airline.....:hmm:

Our last trip to Boston, I suggested that we carry our luggage on due to possible weather problems, delays, cancellations, and it worked out...take fewer clothes, dress in layers and we had enough room!

The fact that Redrocks had his luggage lost was also a factor in why we did carry-on...

Last edited:
Sicy said:
How could they just LOSE your luggage and NEVER find it again?? :huh:

when rono and i were in california at the airport after visiting the BAWs we were sitting there waiting for our flight when rono noticed some luggage just sitting out there on the tarmac. luckily a truck did come buy and pick it up, but if no one had seen it who knows what would have happened to it or how long it would have just sat out there on the runway. i hope the plane hadn't left yet that it belonged to. :shrug:

luggage can surprisingly get lost too easily. i never check my luggage unless they make me gate check it. only one suitcase and one small carryon bag fo me. :up:

RedrocksU2 said:
....I'm flying to Boston in late March again.....I wonder if I should use another Airline.....:hmm:

To be honest with you...any of the airlines could have done this. :yikes:

I am SURE my airline would love your business...but, again...I truly feel anyone of them could pull this off. I was dealing with an similar situation this week (that I felt could have been prevented, but it wasn't...and I am pissed about it).

No airline covers electronics. I am amazed at people who try and check in with desktop computers. :der:

Sicy said:
How could they just LOSE your luggage and NEVER find it again?? :huh:

OK...a few things could happen:

- The tag could have come off and it got accidently tied up somewhere with no identification tags - OR worse yet - with another airline.

- Another passenger could have picked it up and never returned it when they found redclouds electronics and sexy bikini spiderman underoos!

- It could have been left off somewhere where there is time for some slimeball employee to dig through it (this is not as likely...but possible).

A situation like this is pretty uncommon. They usually show up.Think about...United lost their shirt on this one...Redrocks I am sure did not spend more than $600 on his ticket.

:sexywink:

Last edited:
ABEL said:

when rono and i were in california at the airport after visiting the BAWs we were sitting there waiting for our flight when rono noticed some luggage just sitting out there on the tarmac. luckily a truck did come buy and pick it up, but if no one had seen it who knows what would have happened to it or how long it would have just sat out there on the runway. i hope the plane hadn't left yet that it belonged to. :shrug:

luggage can surprisingly get lost too easily. i never check my luggage unless they make me gate check it. only one suitcase and one small carryon bag fo me. :up:

Did it fall out of the cart? We require cart doors/curtains to be closed in transit in for safety and for care of luggage. Policies aren't always followed. Otherwise, sometimes they are left on the ramp for various transfer reasons.

If you have to "gate side" check you bag...it is MORE likely to get lost.

zoney! said:

...Redrocks I am sure did not spend more than $600 on his ticket.

......well my company paid for the ticket ($520 round trip), however when I made the itemized list of the things inside the suitcase, I did not exagerate the value amount inside (...several people told me to do this, I just did not want to take advantage....it's not my style.)

I'm still pissed off.

RedrocksU2 said:

......well my company paid for the ticket ($520 round trip), however when I made the itemized list of the things inside the suitcase, I did not exagerate the value amount inside (...several people told me to do this, I just did not want to take advantage....it's not my style.)

I'm still pissed off.

There are soooo many people who take advantage of it, and that's why the airline uses "depreciation" as a fall back to give you less.

Carlos is a noble fella though! :up: :D

Well the worst part of this whole thing for Redrocks is that his PRICELESS U2 shirts were in that bag that was lost, if I am not mistaken. How do you replace an original Joshua Tree tour t-shirt? :sad: :mad: :grumpy: :rant: :rant: :eek:

And I wanted to add...MAKE SURE that you have some type of identification INSIDE your bag too. Include a phone number.

People always have American Tourister tags on and they come off so easy (get caught on a luggage belt or on another bag). If there is a phone number on the bag....the airline will try and call it.

Those huge SMART TAGS or BIG TAGS are acutally DUMB TAGS. Because of the fact they are flimsy plastic...the get caught on things easily and end up as Foriegn Object Debris (F.O.D.) that could lead to engine damage (they fall off, then get sucked up into the engine....much like the mechanic who got sucked into the engine in El Paso this week).

Back
Top Bottom