IO: My cat sighs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2dork

Rock n' Roll Doggie
...like a bored teenager.
He's only recently started doing this, usually when I'm on the computer. I guess he's bored, but he's got cat toys everywhere and he gets A LOT of attention...
My other cat doesn't do this...

Hmmm I've never heard a cat sigh before. I don't suppose you could officially setup a mic and record this mysterious sound for us? I would play it back for my own kitties and get their response.

My cat makes that purry noise Gollum makes in Return of the King when he's pretending to sleep. I wonder if that means he's plotting something.

My bucky (one of five) snores really loud and makes funny chirrpy noises at the window but never sighed.

BonoChick Why did you ask if the cat had bad breath? Two of my cats have horrible breath is that bad? I thought they just had bad breath.

I have actually heard my cats sigh before.

And I love the brrrrrrrrrip!!! noises they make .. usually either when they see me or they have their eye on some creatures outside.

youtwohearts said:
Two of my cats have horrible breath is that bad? I thought they just had bad breath.

Sometimes if their breath is really bad it could be a sign of a medical problem. Or maybe they just need their teeth cleaned!

We had cats when I was growing up. I don't think I ever heard a cat sigh........or maybe I just don't remember. I personally haven't owned a cat in adult life. I'm entirely too iresponsible to be a decent pet owner. :wink:

Sicy said:

Sometimes if their breath is really bad it could be a sign of a medical problem. Or maybe they just need their teeth cleaned!

Okay now you are making me nervous. He's always had bad breath and now his brother's breath is bad. My Tipsy also has bad breath and she also has had bad breath for as long as I can remember. Bucky's breath is horrible and his teeth are fine. Do I need to take him to the vet, it Christmas, I can't afford it :sad:. What could be wrong? He acts normal.

youtwohearts said:

Okay now you are making me nervous. He's always had bad breath and now his brother's breath is bad. My Tipsy also has bad breath and she also has had bad breath for as long as I can remember. Bucky's breath is horrible and his teeth are fine. Do I need to take him to the vet, it Christmas, I can't afford it :sad:. What could be wrong? He acts normal.

Most cats with teeth problems will not show signs of it. They will either chew on the side that hurts less or swallow their food whole. We do a lot of teeth cleanings at our clinic, and if any teeth look sore or rotten, we just extract them so the source of the pain is gone. We call a few days after they've gone home to see how they are doing, and I hear almost every week: "You know, I never would have guessed he was uncomfortable before, but since he's had his teeth cleaned (or extracted), he's like a new cat! Much more playful/affectionate/just happy." It's not every case but I do hear it quite often. Make sure to ask your vet to do a thorough oral exam the next time you go in...

Both of mine make weird "chortling" noises when they get excited like when there are squirrels in the bird feeder, birds on the window ledge, or chickens running around out back (we had a chicken take up residence in the woods behind the apartment last year).
But it's the snoring, sighing and burping that make me think my boy is just a very small, hairy, rude person.

My old cat used to make this strange "mmmrrrrrrr" noise when she was walking in the back door out home. It was the only time she ever did it too.

youtwohearts said:

Dont be sad :hug: And dont worry.. its definately not an emergency. I would just have the vet check them out real well next time you take them in for a check up. I think bls suggested that too. I'm sure they are fine! :)

Zoey is only almost 3 but she is already getting tartar so I will see if they can do a manual scraping next time I bring her in. They said they could if she would tolerate it and since its not that bad yet. I dont want to let it get so bad that she has to be put under to get her teeth cleaned :slant:

I just loveeeeeeeeeee the brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrip noises! I swear mine do it constantly, its too cute.

But it's the snoring, sighing and burping that make me think my boy is just a very small, hairy, rude person

What ! Your cat burps? :lol: :eyebrow:

My golden retriver Mitzi sighs, most dogs do this but. But I can tell you, a fully fledged dog burb in your face is not cute like a cat making brrrrrrrrrippppp-ing noises.

Back
Top Bottom