IO: I'm Working at Yosemite - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > It's Official... > It's Official Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:04 PM
IO: I'm Working at Yosemite

I know I've never posted on this board before... and heck, I'm new to Interference in general... but I just checked out this IO board for the first time and everyone here seems so great.

So I just wanted to announce what I just found out this week and why I'm incredibly excited:

I just got an internship at Yosemite National Park for this summer!

So I'm currently in my junior year of college, going for a B.A. in Business and B.S. in Geology, and I'm really interested in working for the National Park Service as a career, whether as a ranger or in resource management or whatever. These past couple months, I've been calling up national parks across the country, trying to get a job or internship in order to see if I really do like the NPS lifestyle and whether I really want to go into it as a career or not. And I just found out this week that I've been hired as an intern!

My job? Besides working at a visitor center in Yosemite Valley, I get to do patrols of campgrounds at night and educate campers on proper bear safety and food storage. Which is awesome to me, because any job where I can go around and just talk to new people all day is a perfect fit. Plus, time to hike and explore on the weekends = heaven.

So I just thought I'd let you know what's been on my mind this week (besides U2 tickets). Thanks everyone for reading!

Old 01-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:04 PM
Yosemite - the motherlode of National Parks!

Old 01-28-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:04 AM
Congratulations.

Sounds like a wonderful job. I'm envious.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Neon Zebra

that job sounds SO great.

i love the outdoors. hiking, swimming, canoeing...

the NPS needs people like you.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 06:04 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an amazing place to work.

I have my Yosemite Association sticker on my car and have my Yosemite Calendar on my wall. I so want to go back a do the Half Dome hike again.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Let's celebrate! Let's eat fmattyh brains in chocolate fondue
Old 01-28-2005, 09:49 PM   #7
Acrobat

Yosemite is one of my top three parks.

Great choice
Old 01-28-2005, 10:36 PM   #8
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosloveslave
Let's celebrate! Let's eat fmattyh brains in chocolate fondue
he's a park ranger.

let's make brain s'mores 'round the campfire.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:39 PM   #9
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Oooooooooooooooo

Even better
Old 01-29-2005, 05:53 AM   #10
Acrobat

Quote:
Yosemite - the motherlode of National Parks!
Baw, I have to go with Yellowstone on that one, but Yosemite is in the top 5, at least. Grand Canyon, Mt. Rainier, and Glacier are right up there with Yosemite. IMO.

velvet, you've done that hike? Oh man, I'm so nervous about doing that one. I'm not a huge fan of heights, so that last bit of cable climbing looks like a bit much. Of course, I'll give it a go anyway...and hopefully won't die.

Also, you say you're a member of the YA? You know about the Yosemite Valley Plan and all that stuff then, right? What do you think about it? Sound like a good or bad thing?

As for those of you that eat brains, let's just say mine isn't used much so it might not be the best tasting. Better to go with a brain that's used more often than mine.

(Also, 100!)
Old 01-29-2005, 07:28 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by fmattyh

velvet, you've done that hike? Oh man, I'm so nervous about doing that one. I'm not a huge fan of heights, so that last bit of cable climbing looks like a bit much. Of course, I'll give it a go anyway...and hopefully won't die.

Also, you say you're a member of the YA? You know about the Yosemite Valley Plan and all that stuff then, right? What do you think about it? Sound like a good or bad thing?
Yes, I did the hike and it was the most painful thing I have ever done in my whole life. I was short of completing it when my legs and body just gave out. I sat by while I watched my brother and his friend climb the cables. It was a long hard hike. We started at 7AM and did not make it back to base camp until 1AM the following morning. I can say hiking back at night with a full moon was the most terryifing but most beautiful thing I have ever done.

I am all for the Yosmite Valley Plan if it is going to preserve the park and reduce congestion. That was one thing that did bother me while I was camping. I did not like how crowded and noisey it was.

I would post my hiking pics but I no longer have them saved on my computer.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75

Yes, I did the hike and it was the most painful thing I have ever done in my whole life. I was short of completing it when my legs and body just gave out. I sat by while I watched my brother and his friend climb the cables. It was a long hard hike. We started at 7AM and did not make it back to base camp until 1AM the following morning. I can say hiking back at night with a full moon was the most terryifing but most beautiful thing I have ever done.

I am all for the Yosmite Valley Plan if it is going to preserve the park and reduce congestion. That was one thing that did bother me while I was camping. I did not like how crowded and noisey it was.

I would post my hiking pics but I no longer have them saved on my computer.
Yeah, I've heard the hike is a real scorcher. The best way to do it is to spend the night at the Little Yosemite campground and turn it into a two-day hike. Of course, getting camping permits are as tough as getting U2 tickets. But that's the secret, I think - it turns a long, painful, excruciating one-day hike into a two-day hike that you can actually enjoy the whole way. But hey, I think I'm going to be stuck doing it as a full-day hike, so I'll just have to grin and bear it. Well, grimace and bear it probably.

From what I can tell, I think the Yosemite Valley Plan is a good thing as well. There's a lot of opposition to it, but I feel that's simply from the people who don't understand it. They see some trees being chopped down and assume it must be bad no matter what, not realizing how much it will help to ease congestion (which will help eliminate smog and traffic jams). If they can figure out a way to spread people out and cut down on the crowding, the park will benefit quite a bit.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:59 AM   #13
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:04 PM
I need to go to Yosemite soon. I love hiking and the outdoors and taking landscape pictures, and I've seen soooo many breathtaking photos of that place it seems like heaven.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:04 PM
i went for the first time in July 2003. it is the most incredible place.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:40 AM   #15
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Yosemite is on my list of places to go

Congratulatons
Old 01-29-2005, 12:53 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: IO: I'm Working at Yosemite

Quote:
Originally posted by fmattyh
but I just checked out this IO board for the first time and everyone here seems so great.
That's not the impression most people have at first, but welcome.

Pass me a brain smore.

And congrats on your job.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #17
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Brain s'mores....you don't need a spork for those
Old 01-29-2005, 01:57 PM   #18
Acrobat

Hey, that "great people" comment was before all the brain smore talk. Had I known, I never would have showed up.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:38 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

My Yosemite Calendar
Old 01-29-2005, 06:12 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I took this one with a throw away black and white camera. I was standing in the middle of the river.

I keep it on my fridge to remind me of the grandeur of Yosemite.