IO: I'm going to be in San Francisco for 3 hours tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maycocksean

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I've never been before.

My plane lands around 11, and leaves again for Honolulu at 3. If I'm aiming to get back to the airport an hour before departure that gives me three hours including travel time.

Is there even any point in leaving the airport? I wouldn't mind seeing the Golden Gate Bridge and just seeing a bit of the city (unabashed tourist. Time is short, I can't fuss around with pretensions of coolness).

Anyone, who's been to or lives in the Bay area that can help me?

zonelistener said:
I think the BART (?) is pretty easy to do from the airport.

I was looking at that. It's a hell of a lot cheapter than a taxi.

zonelistener said:
Got to love those long layovers on the Honolulu flights! We spent five hours in LAX in December.

I'm sorry. (I hate LAX).

Mr. BAW said:
There's no reason to leave, SFO has a variety of shops and restaurants, 3 hours is nothing...unless you're a sadist for the security lines....have fun in Hawaii!

Yeah, but is there anything SPECIAL about SFO. I've been in so many airports for so many hours over the years that I'd rather pay money to ride on a train out to the Golden Gate Bridge and back (is that even possible by the way?) rather than browse yet another newstand and eat in yet another Chilis 2. And are the security lines unusually bad at SFO? Because, again been through those lines feels like hundreds of times--I've got getting through quickly with minimum hassle down to a science.

In light of that, do you think it would be worth it to leave?

I live in the Bay Area. There's nothing special IN the airport. And the airport is a good 20 miles at least from downtown SFO but it would be worth it to check it out if you've never been. Pier 39 is fun, lots of shops and real fish restaurants and you can see Alcatraz from afar.

Sicy said:
I live in the Bay Area. There's nothing special IN the airport. And the airport is a good 20 miles at least from downtown SFO but it would be worth it to check it out if you've never been. Pier 39 is fun, lots of shops and real fish restaurants and you can see Alcatraz from afar.

Can I get there by BART?

Sicy said:

You kids are cracked, its just a 3 hour layover...and then risk a lengthy security line...daredevils...:no:

Mr. BAW said:

Right, then.

So I'll probablly go out for a bit and I'll let you all know how it turns out.

If I get stuck in San Francisco. . .well, I suppose there are worse places to be stuck.

Gotta fly!

Lila64 said:
It's a great city - too bad you don't have more time to check it out

Safe travels!

It WAS a great city. I'd really like to go back and spend some proper time there some day.

It cost me about $23 ($10 for the BART to the Embarcedero, $3 for the F line electric trolley, and $10 for the taxi back to the BART station from Pier 39 since I didn't have time to take the F line back) but it was worth it. San Francisco has to be one of the more beautiful cities in America--all the hills, even the old crappy buildings have a certain charm to them. I saw "The Sights" I guess you could say. . .Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge (mostly shrouded in mist but stilll), and even saw a bunch of sea lions. And I made it back in plenty of time (lucky me, Mr. BAW, the security line was super short).

It was a sight better than sitting in yet another faceless airport for a couple of hours and I'm glad I went.

UberBeaver said:
Did you eat at the Fisherman's Wharf?

No. I wish I'd had the time. I couldn't stay long enough to sit down and eat unfortunately. Instead I spent $20 in SFO grabbing a cesear salad and sandwhich to eat on the plane. What a rip off!

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Eating at airports = has to be one of the biggest ripoffs ever. :down:

it's right up there with Drinking at Airports. Or Parking at airports. Or buying tissues at airport. Stupid airports. We need teleportation. Who I gotta sleep with round here to get a teleporter built?

UberBeaver said:

it's right up there with Drinking at Airports. Or Parking at airports. Or buying tissues at airport. Stupid airports. We need teleportation. Who I gotta sleep with round here to get a teleporter built?

I believe I mentioned I ordered mine years ago - back of the line buddy :down:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I miss you damn it! [/random]

:sexywink:

I miss you too damn it!

Hop on a plane to Whore Island and visit me! :hyper: :D

sorry...carry on with the airport hating and such

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom