IO: I'm a horrible writer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Girl1978

Blue Crack Addict
I hate hate hate hate with a passion writing papers for college but there is no way to get out of it since I am a psychology major. Any tips on how to concentrate on writing papers and not get completely pissed off doing it?

Plan well in advance.

Get the books on your reading list and take down important notes/ quotes etc, have a lot of info at hand. Sift through the info and narrow done what you want to talk about

Make a plan of your essay and try to structure your argument, you'll probaly find it changes a few times.

I always find going to the library helps me concentrate, I can't concentrate anywhere else, too many distractions at home.

I am ADD so I always get distracted. Set little goals and give yourself rewards for them: "I am going to write x pages, and then I will have a snack/call a friend/etc."

Failing that, buying an ADD person's extra ritalin helps, too.:wink:

Keocmb said:
I'm an English major. I read a novel (yes. NOVEL) a week and write, on average, 5 papers a week.

I feel your pain. :crack:

English major here as well. Last year I was taking "The Novel" alongside "American Lit One." Two novels a week, or at least 8 or 9 short stories and a novel every week.

So, some of my fun pairings were

Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby with Defoe's Robinson Crusoe
Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom with Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway
A lot of stories by Flannery O'Connor with Nabokov's Pale Fire
Kerouac's On the Road with Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude

I did enjoy all of these books, though. (Still think we should have read Joyce's Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man in The Novel).

There was much other chaotic reading funness, plus all of my other classes. This semester I have three lit classes and a history class (where we're not using a textbook, but primary sources and novels instead... may as well be a lit course).

The thing is with English papers, they tend to just come together for me. I haven't gotten less than an A on one since Freshman year. Papers for other classes (like Psych, or Communications, or HIstory) take a lot more preparation. But I did a Psychoanalytic paper on "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight" in about 2 hours (with a few hours of research the night before), and got a 96. Had I tried that in any other class, it wouldn't have been more than a B.

I pity anyone who's writing papers that are not lit papers. Lit papers, though you do of course have to support your claims, are still more subjective and you have a bit more freedom. You have my pity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom