IO I was actually scared!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greeneyedgirl

ONE love, blood, life
We had some nasty storms last night.
Usually, I just sit outside and watch it all come and go.
But last night was different. The local weatherman was interrupting the regular TV program with updates of the storm to the point of not returning at all. He was announcing the recent activity when the power went out. :ohmy:
And it was a good 20 minutes before the storm was due to hit our area.

And I actually got scared :ohmy:

I got all of our "storm gear" ready and loaded up the little bathroom with pillows, candles, flashlight, blankets......all that stuff and just waited. Got the dog all settled and went to look out the window.
Nothing.
Total darkness and silence had come within 5 minutes.

Then, I heard it.
Howling like I haven't heard in such a long time.
The wind would die down to nothing and then pick up to 60 mph.
Then die back down again.

So I wait.
The phone kept ringing. Everyone in my family checking to see if we are ok. (gosh its nice to have someone 300 miles away look up the weather channel for you when your power is out :wink: )

I can hear tree branches breaking and hitting the house, rain beating against the windows, and the howling of the tornados.
And I am scared. And I am alone. And I just wonder if this is it.
If this is the time. I wonder........
And then its all over.

Anyone else ever been thru a storm and get scared?

Yikes GG:yikes::hug:

omg yes! storms scare the crap outta me...once in Florida we were at my grandparents and a massive tornado hit at night:sad: ..it was roaring and howling like you said...killed 36 people in the next town over..they never saw it comming:sad:

then one went right over us while we were camping in Iowa....your description of you night was really eerie and chilling:( :hug: I am glad you are ok.

I hate storms..we get violent wind storms in the summer here..god I hate those:(

the rockin edge said:

hehe, i believe tornados are the main tourist attraction here :wink:

oh yes...it was quite the site:love:

more fun than Disney World:love:

I cannot wait to take my kids to Iowa and show them tornados:yes: even better if we have to run for one ...like I had to:drool: ..darn that was fun..good times:up:

:|

:wink:

Carek1230 said:
Damn, GG.....that sucks. I don't like thunder and lightning. I'll take an earthquake over a midwestern thunder/lightning or tornado any day!

I was raised in the Chicago area and spent time in IN. While I thankfully never experienced a tornado up close, we frequently had tornado warnings - to the point where we were huddled outside in the hallways at school (not a drill - this was the "real" thing!).

For the last eight years I lived in New England. No tornados there, however, we would get hit with nasty blizzards and hurricane remnants blowing up the coast. I found the winter weather in the midwest and New England similar - but it seemed nastier in New England due to the coast. During the fall, there was always the threat of a hurricane moving north.

I now live in CA. I have yet to experience an earthquake. Once I do, I guess I'll have my basis for comparing which is worse.

For now, I just want some sun. What's that like? CA has just set a record for rainfall. Joy.

We had some snow here in CA and people suddenly started saying "what global warming"? Uh... the fact that the weather has changed this much with the storms getting worse and worse strongly suggests that something is going on. Suddenly that silly movie, "Day After Tomorrow," isn't looking so silly... :ohmy:

Storms are going to be a hell of alot easier to put up from now on because we have a generator that keeps our power going. Thank God!

the rockin edge said:

hehe, i believe tornados are the main tourist attraction here :wink:

I thought it was the Iowa 80 Truckstop :lol:

We still have some parts of town without power.
An intersection 6 blocks from me is still blocked off with powerlines down.

And....:yikes: we have more storms coming tomorrow night.

*gets out her ruby slippers* :D

:yikes: :hug:

i've had lay in the bathtub a couple times over the years myself.
never been through anything that scary where the tornadoes were that close though.
the scarriest storm was when the one hit ft. worth (about 40 miles away) a couple years ago.

then another time i remember going out on my balcony to check the storms (probably not a good thing to do lol)...
and seeing these clouds sort of rotating above my house!
not really a funnel cloud, maybe a wall cloud forming or something.

living in dallas we get our fair share of storms here.
in fact we have a chance of storms here on thursday that might be severe.

i really don't know what i'd do if an actual tornado came close to here though.
i'd hide in the bathtub, but i live on the 2nd floor of an apartment.
yeah i could go to a neighbor's on the first floor, but i don't really know any of them and if they're not home it's not really a good time to go knocking on doors outside LOL!

while the really bad storms scare me i find them exhilarating at the same time :drool:

I feel for you all, I don't like thunderstorms and am glad we don't have them where I am in California. Being right near the beach we have our share of marine layer, winds, rain, and humidity, though nothing near what you all deal with. I don't think I could stand it.

Hope you really don't need the ruby slippers, GG! :hug:

ABEL, stay off your damn balcony! :hug:

Yikes, I would have been terrified. We don't have tornadoes around this way but sometimes we get some nasty thunderstorms and they still make my heart race.

I don't mind nice rumbling thunder but when the lightning goes and the thunder is almost instantanious.. it really gets to me for sure.

Back
Top Bottom