IO I have a dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shari schultz

ONE love, blood, life
I work for a retailer who seems to put opening proprietary charge cards above and beyond customer service and store morale. My area is not achieving its goal.

This morning was just about the last straw when the store manager "called out" my dept manager at the store morning meeting. He just ripped on her. Afterwards, associates from OTHER areas were going up to her and apologizing for what he had done. That was not exactly the best motivational speech I have ever heard. Far from it.
I don't know what happened later in the day, but she came by for something and she was crying she quickly scurried off the selling floor and I was unable to connect with her before I left. All of this has left a bad taste in my mouth. I need the job, but I came so close to just quitting this morning. He was just so unprofessional.

As an area, we ask every customer if they would like to open a charge-we get shopped and that is one of the requirements. Our shops come back saying we asked. What more can we do? If someone does not want to open a charge, they don't want to. I have a tough time being held responsible for other people being responsible with their finances. I have no problem with asking customers but with the other part-huge issues.

ANY comments or suggestions would be helpful..........:sad:

Last edited:
This topic might best be served in zoo confessionals or lemostand shari...it would hit a better audience, and things tend to get "kidnapped here in IT'S OFFICIAL!

I worked retail in HS and College and we were "spiffed" if we got someone to open a credit account.

I will never open a store credit account. I think priorities are a bit messed sometimes...but I blame the focus of our country...it is not on people, it is on corporations making money.

Retail sucks. I used to work in a jeans store and we got extra points for add on sales ie would you like a belt with that? pair of socks, hair thingie? If we ever just sold a pair of jeans and nothing else we would get blasted. Sometimes while the customer was still there and we were in the back room getting the right size jeans.

I feel for you. I dont ever intend on working in a shop again.

If you dont like that kind of crap, work your way into another industry.

I used to work for Penney's and we had to ask people too, though i wasn't very good about it. It wasn't THAT big of a thing there, we got like an extra dollar or two for each account we opened, but we didn't have quotas or anything. I had a friend that worked at Mervyns and they had to meet a monthly quota or they got in trouble. I couldn't handle working for a company that had a policy like that. We had people at tables at the mall entrances that took applications so I think it took a lot of the expectation off of the rest of us.

Little owner operator stores seem to be okay. Bit more customer focused than chain stores. I was at a two staff shop on the weekend. The guy gave us a discount for buying a stroller and a nursing mothers chair. Im sure if I went to a chain store they would have charged me full price for both and aked - Do you want a cot with that? :|

Back
Top Bottom