Io: I Got In!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Green Eyes

War Child
Road Trippin' Across The Universe to Zoo Station
Well, I just found out that I got into the one college that I applied to!! Yes, I knew, it's absurd that I only applied to one college, but my family and I throught that it would be better to just apply to the number one choice that we thought was the best for me. Anyway, the college is called Mitchell College, and it's up in New London, CT. I'm just so excited. Just wanted to share with all of you. :happy:

Mr. Green Eyes said:

I have it down to: teacher for special education, elementry school teacher, writer, photographer, and social worker. I just decide which one to do.

Congratualtions! :applaud: Special Ed teacher or elementry school teaching would be wonderful. Definatley give it serious thought and I am sure the right one for you will come to you.

Personally, If I could pick teaching I would do it. It all depends on what you want to do but think ahead about what you can do after that course too.

Here I have to do my degree first (4 years) then apply to get into teaching. There are only 40 teaching places in the whole of the country for modern languages. I'm trying to be positive about getting a place this year but the odds aren't good.

My other option is to go over to somewhere else in the UK and do my teacher training there but I'll not be able to teach here. They only take teachers who have a teaching certificate from here in local schools.

Now I'm doing the last few months of my degree, am waiting to get some news from the school of education and if I don't get in I'll spend another year having to re-think my options and choose whether I want to move away or stay at home and get a different job.

I really regret not doing a degree that would have provided me a better chance of getting into a profession at the end of it. A lot of people in my year say the same thing and I've heard a lot of ex-students say it too. It might also be a good idea to chat to any students you know doing the courses you're interested in.

feel free to major in whatever you want. undergrad is all about discerning. more than 1/2 of my students change their major at least once. heck, i changed my major 3 times and now i'm in grad school for something completely different!

congrats and strap in! you're on your way to the ride of your life. all sorts of self discovery lie ahead, so if you can, put off committing for a major, at least til after your first year. take an array of courses so you can get a feel for what you like, and meet regularly with your advisor. also, try doing some co-curricular activities, i.e. after school tutoring for teaching experience, or volunteering somewhere to get some social work experience. try it out and see what area you thrive in the best.

again, way to go!

Back
Top Bottom