IO: I Got a New Car!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
I've had the same car (2-door Ford Explorer Sport) for over 8 years (meaning it's a '97). It had almost 127,000 miles on it. The car basically was in good shape, but it was starting to "nickel & dime" me too much. Just this past Friday, the car inexplicably started to overheat - and the A/C was out, yet again! I had had enough. New England winters are tough (we received over 112" of snow last year) and while I hoped my car would survive another winter, it just didn't look like it would. I was seeing more and more rust - not on the car surface, but underneath, in the locks, doors, etc. It was time to get a new car. I only held onto this one for so long because I wanted a house.

Of course, now that I have a house (townhouse, actually), I cannot afford a fancy car. I still wanted an SUV, but one that got good mileage (i.e., the closer to 30 mpg the better), that was a manual (love driving them!), was very affordable, yet still had tons of creature comforts.

Well, I did my homework and with a bit of luck, I found the car! :hyper: After being a Ford owner (for better or worse - often the latter) for 15 years, I now have a Saturn Vue, which gets a whopping 29 mpg! Heck, that's better mileage than many cars. Even better is the fact that the SUV hybrids are only pushing 31 mpg - and they cost $13K more than the car I just bought. So $13K more for a car that gets, at best, 2 mpg better gas mileage. Hmmmm.... :hmm: ...not a tough decision. ;)

So after 8 long years, I gots me a new car! WooHoo! :dance: :up:

Congrats on your great find, Dr!! I've been looking recently myself. :yes: Mr. Blu's Dodge Ram is "drinking" us out of house & home, so he told me recently if I can find a deal that works for us (read: tight budget!! :lol: ) we can use his truck as trade-in on my dream car & he'll drive what's currently my Blazer. So I test drove myself a little BMW 540i this morning. :yes: (Used, of course, but still :drool: )

I'm curious to see where it'll go from here. Mr. Blu might have been only half-serious when he made the offer, but I'm not playing!! :ohmy: :D

Yep - so happy to have a new car after almost a decade! :dance:

And my old car - at its best - got only 20-21 mpg. After 8 years, it was down to 17 mpg!! :ohmy: Therefore, to go from 20 mpg (at my old car's prime) to just shy of 30 mpg is already huge! I had to do a lot of driving today (the same day I got it) and already I'm seeing the difference. :yes:

I looked at used cars, but nothing caught my eye. This new one isn't "perfect", but for the price and mpg, it can't be beat (for an SUV). And it's a wicked cool color (hot red). After having a black car for so long, I have some color in my life. ;)

Mr. BAW said:
A new car!!!!! :applaud:

Why did I hear this in a Bob Barker voice... :lol:

Congrats doctorwho! :applaud:

Although I am a bit ashamed that you gave up your Ford ownership for a Saturn :angry:

I've seen those around and they're really nice!

I have a Nissan X-Trail on which I get about 35 MPG. Those aren't available in the US, though.

Sicy said:

Why did I hear this in a Bob Barker voice... :lol:

Yeah... "Price Is Right" did leap to mind! ;)

Although I am a bit ashamed that you gave up your Ford ownership for a Saturn :angry:

Well... I've had a Ford for 15 years. It was time to try another model. That said, I almost bought an Escape. However, I have a house and that comes first. If Ford could have gone down in price just a bit more in that Escape, I'd be driving that right now. Alas, I couldn't afford their monthly payments. Plus, the mileage wasn't as good. $$ was a big issue and Ford was just a bit too much.

But fear not... as I bought this Saturn, if I really don't like it, I can always sell it since I'm not stuck in a lease. Right now though, it is a nice car. And the mileage... :drool:

Not to steal Dr. Who's thunder....but I too have taken delivery (ha) of a new vehicle. THIS EVENING.

Yes, my 1999 (diamondSexy) Jeep Wrangler is a thing of the past. I have kept my Illinois plates with "LEMONU 2" on them, but now have NON-U2 plate(s). They just have plates at the dealership. Wacky.

SO....I have a new Passat. And a lot of debt. I have also found a nice picture for you to all look at. Please imagine seeing the Passat on the Interstate, being driven by a guy that looks like my avatar! :D

DSCF0004.JPG

It is a midnightish mettalic navy blue (VW calls it Blue Graphite). It was actually in the show room when I walked into the dealership on Saturday. They pulled it out for me today...I and I drove off tonight.

Last edited:
yes.

It might be easier to tell you what it is missing (sun roof and 4motion).

It has a/c. It has a single CD player (you can only really listen to one CD at a time anyway). It is an automatic, but VW has this feature that turns it into an "almost manual" - not something I was really sold on....but it could be fun. It has "almost leather" and the rear seats fold down. The trunk is HUGE. Automatic windows. Heated seats and heated windshield wiper-sprayer thingy. Good leg room in the back. And it is a bit fast (very dangerous for me). It has this neat trip feature, where I can record mileage, MPG, time, how many breathes I take, etc. It also has on outside temperature gauge.

Finally, it gets decent gas mileage.

Thank you...I think.

Again...the debt will be quite the load for a while. But, I will get through it.

I look forward to taking it out in the morning for the long ride to my "alternate" work location. THIS is the reason I had to rid myself of the Jeep ball and chain (the social distortion song was the last song played on the radio before I traded it in - I only had an AM/FM radio in it...and two songs before that the station I listen to play "A Trip through...."

Back
Top Bottom