IO: I failed Irish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irishteen

Blue Crack Addict
Well i got my Junior Cert results back today I failed Irish, but got a honour in everything else, here are the results

Irish-Honours Level-E
English-Honours Level-C
Maths-Honours level-C
History-Honours level-B
Geography-Honours Level-B
French-Honours Level-C
Art-Honours level-C
Business Studies-Honours level-B
Science-Honours Level-C
C.S.P.E-Common level(The only level)-B

Well all in all not too bad

Well, I'll be frank. 'Junior Certificate' means nothing to me. Is this the equivalent of GCSEs and the leaver's certificate being the equivalent of A-levels but despite the name you don't need to actually take the leaver's certificate to actually leave school you can do it now that you've got your Junior certificate??? <deep breath!>

Believe it or not I did actually look this up on Wiki at one time I just can't remember what it said. :reject: (Don't worry I don't expect you to be able to come back and say, "Yes it's the equivalent of whatever" becasue if I don't understand Irish education then why should you understand English?)

But anyway the results look good and I know it must be very frustrating to fail a subject because you probably find it difficult to see past that fail to fully enjoy your other numerous successes. But you should because you've done well!! Congrats!:applaud:

Another question, when I did my GCSEs the subjects were divided into higher and foundation with some subjects like maths having an intermediate level. If you took the higher paper it'd give you access to higher grades like A* but if you got below a C then you failed completely whilst foundation was easier and there was no cut-off point (you could go right down to E and pass but below that you'd failed) but you couldn't get the higher grades. Is it the same with your common/honour thing? Sorry if this is forcing you into a long explanation. "I dunno" would be an acceptable answer! lol. Congrats again.

The Irish school system is a little different, I could leave now, but would NEVER get a job anywhere except McDonalds. I really do have to stay on and do the Leaving Cert. The honours thing works like this

There are 3 levels: Honours,Ordinary,Foundation
This is really just how hard a subject is
On the leaving Cert the top points ona subject are 100 points
A A1 on Honours = 100 points, a A1 on Ordinary=60 points, A A1 on Foundation= 0 points
We do twice the subkjects for the leaving cert as the A-levels, so not as hard, but some honours level papers are the same level as the A-Level paper. I toke all honour for the Junior, and am doing all but Irish, in honours for the leaving cert in 2 years. So the Junior Cert ahs no role in my future, except it helps decide what subjects ido honours in, so has a indirect role. Any I got a hunread time better then my friend, wjho got 4 D's,4 E's and 2 F's, all at ordinary level.

Well i will never take irish at honours level again. How can a dead langauge be the offical language? Thats just stupid, also is the fatc i can't speak it

im in 6th yr now but in my junior cert i got

Irish-Pass Level-D
English-Honours Level-D
Maths-Honours level-B
History-Honours level-F
Geography-Honours Level-D
French-Honours Level-E
Art-Honours level-B
Business Studies-Honours level-C
Science-Pass Level-C
C.S.P.E-Common level(The only level)-B

passed irish though woohoo... now the leaving in jne :huh:

Irish is not a dead language it is alive and over 45% of Irish people can speak it to a high level. and just because its difficult to master doesn't mean its not worthwhile. It managed to survive 800 years of oppression against it's very existence so it'll survive people failing it. BTW, well done with your results!

45% ata high level

Then the fact that 5% are doing higher level for the leaving cert in my school, means that the classing as a high level is abit low.

Back
Top Bottom