IO: i even look like a homosexual

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
so i'm walking through East Dupont on Saturday after the Cindy Sheehan ralley, and i'm wearing my Lucky Jeans and a hot red shirt i got at a concert i went to on Thursday at the Black Cat -- the bad was called "Q and not U" and they were very punk, though with a synthesizer and in a kind of Clash-meets-New-Order kind of way. the shirt is mad cool, the name of the band and an upsidedown DC flag, white printing on a red shirt. i also had on my slightly gay-ish manbag and was strutting towards 17th street, which is the gayest street in the District, but i had every intention of simply crossing over 17th to 16th so i could take the bus up to my neighborhood.

anyway, i walked past a bunch of guys walking west on Q street from 17th, and as they passed me, one of them asked, in a faux-innocent-which-means-slightly-mocking way, "are you going to the Red Party tonight?"

the Red Party is one of many gay circuit parties held across the country and globe where everyone wears a single color (i.e., red) and parties and dances and it's filled with enough fabulosity to rock your face off.

i've never been to a circuit party; don't really plan on it, though i am curious.

now, i'm a masculine guy. i don't lisp; i don't swish; i don't strut (swagger, maybe); i do have good shoes and good jeans, but not that good. i don't think there's anything about me that might be considered "obvious" -- but, boom, they called me on it.

gaydar can be a powerful thing.

i've been out for over 2 years, and don't think i've would ever be labled "gay" except were i on a date with another man, in a gay bar or club, etc.

how things have changed. or have they?

i wasn't offended; i just feel like my cover's been blown.

(heh-heh ... blown)

Last edited:
Well not many straight men pay that much attention to their clothes or use terms like mad cool or fabulosity! (This is why I love my gay friends. They bring some color to life)

Who cares if your cover was blown. Gay/straight- doesn't matter.

"You are the first one of your kind"

Last edited:
longingforBono said:
"You are the first one of your kind"

that song, combined with "kite," are part of my coming out soundtrack.

it's one of those weird times when i feel like bono wrote the song for me.

of course, it could just be the ultra-vague lyrics ...

;)

I think I was propositioned (spelling?) near that neighborhood when I was in High school. :ohmy:

Did the guitarist in Q and not U wear a down jacket for the whole show...or was that a lame Minneapolis thing?

Irvine511 said:

the Red Party is one of many gay circuit parties held across the country and globe where everyone wears a single color (i.e., red) and parties and dances and it's filled with enough fabulosity to rock your face off.

Mr. BAW is going to his first red shirt event with me and doozer this Saturday...at Disneyland. :shh: :giggle:

Re: Re: IO: i even look like a homosexual

Bono's American Wife said:

Mr. BAW is going to his first red shirt event with me and doozer this Saturday...at Disneyland. :shh: :giggle:

I'm Gay and I'm Proud....

that's what I would say if I was..in the meantime, I'll continue to support all those near and dear to me who are...:wave:

Well, you said you were on the gayest street in the District and you said you were well dressed and you said you had a manbag. How were you not going to be interpreted as gay? :sexywink:

Melon

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I'd want Mr. BAW to be my dad if I were a lesbian.

if i were LarryMullen's_POPAngel's lesbian life partner i'd want Mr. Baw to be my father-in-law and pay our way into disneyland on red day.

plus we'd be hot.

But is there even a 'gay look' any more? For example what is the deal with men wearing white shoes these days? I mean at one time that would have been considered affected, at the very least and probably gay. Not any more.

South Park had a funny episode on 'metrosexuals' a while back.

Last edited:
zonelistener said:
I think I was propositioned (spelling?) near that neighborhood when I was in High school. :ohmy:

Did the guitarist in Q and not U wear a down jacket for the whole show...or was that a lame Minneapolis thing?

i don't remember any down jacket (was pretty hot in there), but by the time they got on staget, i was several PBR's into the evening.

martha said:
:angry:

And here I thought this thread would at least have a pic of our Irvine.

if you PM me and send me an email address, i'll be happy to forward along a picture of yours truly.

just feel a little strange about putting it up on a message board ...

:shifty:

melon said:
Well, you said you were on the gayest street in the District and you said you were well dressed and you said you had a manbag. How were you not going to be interpreted as gay? :sexywink:

Melon

i dunno ... perhaps it's my manly biceps? my throbbing calves? my butch alcohol choices? occasionally a straight person walks through east dupont ... perhaps they would just have assumed, due to my manly exterior, that i was just a dude who was going home to watch the game and fart into the couch?

then again, like most gay men, i have the good sense not to gell my hair up to high hell and always use a judicious amount of product in my hair to give it some lift and texture but not enough so that it feels weighted down ... this allows the hair enough movement to subtly shift over the course of the day so that you never have, exactly, the same hairstyle in the morning as you do in the evening ... not that i have gay hair or anything ...

;)

financeguy said:
But is there even a 'gay look' any more? For example what is the deal with men wearing white shoes these days? I mean at one time that would have been considered affected, at the very least and probably gay. Not any more.

South Park had a funny episode on 'metrosexuals' a while back.

metrosexuality is actually homophobia in disguise. it lets you be "cool" like the gay dudes, but at the same time powerfully distinguishing yourself from actually being gay and all the socio-political baggage that entails.

kind of like, i dunno, white people rapping.

i'm not down with the white shoes at all. if i'm doing my emo-alternaqueer look, popular with me on weekends and at protest marches, i go for black converse. if i'm out and about, i go for my sneaker-shoe-Deisel-hybrid. at work, it depends on the outfit.

MrBrau1 said:
Irvine carries a purse.

it's not a purse!

it's a bag ... a man bag ... a mag ... a murse? ... an urban satchel of sorts ... it's a small bag, where i put water, an umbrella, cell phone, keys, breath mints, and the David Sedaris book i'm reading ... okay, maybe that is kind of gay ...

Irvine511 said:

then again, like most gay men, i have the good sense not to gell my hair up to high hell and always use a judicious amount of product in my hair to give it some lift and texture but not enough so that it feels weighted down ... this allows the hair enough movement to subtly shift over the course of the day so that you never have, exactly, the same hairstyle in the morning as you do in the evening ... not that i have gay hair or anything ...

;)

*takes notes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom