IO # hating anything pretentious.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FizzingWhizzbees

ONE love, blood, life
I am throughly sick and tired of pretentious people. I find those who take themselves too seriously to be both boring and annoying. If I hear one more person talk about how they "find popular culture inane" or "only see arthouse films" I think I will scream. Sure some aspects of pop culture are annoying: I'm not going to claim the Britney Spears is the greatest singer ever, or that Road Trip was the funniest film ever made, however I think that those who dismiss them simply because they can't be seen to like anything "ordinary" are fools.

I am tired of hearing intelligent people intentionally make others feel stupid because they can't miss an opportunity to show off their intelligence. Where is the intelligence in humiliating someone because they don't have a college education or they don't happen to have read Finnegans Wake or something similarly obscure? People who really are intelligent don't feel the need to constantly show off about it in some kind of attempt to "prove" their intelligence.

Death to prententiousness.

I think I'm pretentious to a certain degree. :reject:

edit: I suppose that's a by-product of being a Manic Street Preachers fan, a teenager, and a literature student.

Last edited:
I listen to some music + I watch some movies just to enjoy myself

I'm bad, aren't I?

yertle-the-turtle said:
I think I'm pretentious to a certain degree. :reject:

edit: I suppose that's a by-product of being a Manic Street Preachers fan.

I don't think that's good reason to be pretentious!! ;)

I'm with you on that one Fizz. I get frustrated by it especially as I think its a tiring way to be. Why does everything have to have a deep meaning? Or even any meaning? Some light hearted escapism is good for the soul every now and then. Be it movies, music or literature, cheap thrills and easy listening/reading can be a fun break from the drudgery. I'm not saying those who absolutely prefer Arthouse to Arnie dont know how to have fun, or are actually completely dull, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with prefering low brow to high brow - be it occasionally, or all the time. Imo.

Yertle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was thinking of the Bond movies as i was typing all that and was gonna mention it but forgot. I collect them all and get sick of explaining how great they are despite what people think they lack.
Anyways, point is, I bought it the other day and watched it tonight for the first time!
I thought it was great!!! Even Halle did ok in it :wink:

:up: :up: :up:

Another point to this is, I think that was a weird coincidence, of all movies to be thinking/talking about/watching..!

Back
Top Bottom