IO: Do not shake it like a polaroid picture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaAnn

ONE love, blood, life
:angry:

Polaroid Warns Film Users Not to 'Shake It'

LONDON (Reuters) - Outkast fans like to "shake it like a Polaroid picture," but the instant camera maker is warning consumers that taking the advice of the hip-hop stars could ruin your snapshots.

Outkast's number one hit "Hey Ya" includes the "shake it" line as a reference to the motion that amateur photographers use to help along the self-developing film.

But in the "answers" section on the Polaroid Web site, (http://polaroid.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/polaroid.cfg/php/enduser/ std_alp.php?p_sid=MkDTr94h&p_lva=2509&p_sp=&p_li=) the company says that shaking photos, which once helped them to dry, is not necessary since the modern version of Polaroid film dries behind a clear plastic window.

The image "never touches air, so shaking or waving has no effect," the company said on its Web site.

"In fact, shaking or waving can actually damage the image. Rapid movement during development can cause portions of the film to separate prematurely, or can cause 'blobs' in the picture."

A Polaroid spokesman added: "Almost everybody does it, thinking that shaking accelerates the development process, but if you shake it too vigorously you could distort the image. A casual shake typically doesn't affect it."

Polaroid said its film should be laid on a flat surface and shielded from the wind, and that users should avoid bending or twisting their pictures.

Of course, "lay it on a flat surface like a Polaroid picture," doesn't sound nearly as cool.

Does anyone else remember the Duran Duran Nick Rhodes series of polaroids where he had deliberately buggered up/was very artistic with the image? The book was called Interference. :|

in defense of Outkast
they never said it was the best thing to do for your pic

I think

I don't know how old OutKast are, but in the very, very old times when I was a little kid, the instant camera pics had little covers on them that you had to wait 60 seconds to pull off. In those days, we used to shake them and count to 60 waiting for them. That could be what they are talking about? I can see how it might mess up the new kind without the cover. Lame trivia here, but I remember the summer of '78, I was eight and a half, and we got our first instant camera that you cranked the pic out solid white and it developed before your eyes. We called it 'magic' and 'the cool kind' in those days. It was Kodak that invented that process, but Polariod sued them for violating the time limit on their invention copywrite, and Kodak had to stop making instant cameras and send money or free camera certificates to everyone who bought it. It was almost as bad as the opti-grab disaster:tsk:

Back
Top Bottom