IO: Beetles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And then one sneaks up on you :lol:

Seriously though, most of the time you never see anything.

I did nearly pick up a black tiger snake once and the kids at my sister-in-law's primary school must zip up their school bags to stop dugites (another type of snake) from climbing in. Apparently, someone took one home! Imagine get the lunch pack out of that bag:ohmy:

I have this friend who wants to go to Australia but after hearing about all of these bugs and other reptiles I'm not sure if she should go. Maybe I should warn her about this. :scratch:

How do you guys prevent fatal accidents over there. I mean, you can get bitten all of the time. I'd be extremely cautious if I were you. (I'd probably stay indoors a lot if I were you 'though..)

Adam'sbaby said:
How do you guys prevent fatal accidents over there. I mean, you can get bitten all of the time. I'd be extremely cautious if I were you. (I'd probably stay indoors a lot if I were you 'though..)

It's a catch 22 isn't it? You can go out and potentially get killed by some dangerous thing out there in the world. Or you can not go out for fear of the dangerous thing and not really experience all that is out there.

lol. Don't make me laugh. Confidentiality keeps me from listing, and mocking, the stupid accidents that are reported at my workplace (I work in safety and health)

:lmao:

beli said:
You reckon all the dangerous insects are outside the house? Not on your Nelly! lol.

How do they get in? I'm guessing you have AC so you don't need to leave a window open for fresh air or something. Can snakes come into your house? If seen that on National Geographic Channel once: The Life of a snake hunters.

This may not be right place to post this but uh I've eaten crocodile meat once (and snake meat too according to my dad!)

Spiders have an uncanny ability to squeeze themselves through spaces you wouldn't deem possible. Huntsmans are very large, as we've seen, and are rumoured to be able to get in through very small spots like under doors etc.
I'm not quite sure what the MO is for carpet snakes and the like though.
:hmm:

I haven't had a snake inside the house. In the backyard, yep, but not in the house. But snakes aren't that scary really. They are shy creatures and usually "run" a mile away from humans.

Its the little biddy bugs that are the problem.

Most animals can get through incredibly small spaces. It you touch your thumb and first finger together to make a circle, that's the space a fully grown possum can squeeze through.

I think you have more chance of getting hit by a bus than hurt by an insect and most of the time you don't even know they are there.

When I first moved to Oz (as a little kiddliewink) a March fly landed on my arm. I spent about 5 minutes screaming my head off for someone to come and "Stop this thing biting me" :lol: It was really pathetic.

Angela Harlem said:
Spiders have an uncanny ability to squeeze themselves through spaces you wouldn't deem possible. Huntsmans are very large, as we've seen, and are rumoured to be able to get in through very small spots like under doors etc.

:scream:

:yuk:

:crack:

Tania said:
Most animals can get through incredibly small spaces. It you touch your thumb and first finger together to make a circle, that's the space a fully grown possum can squeeze through.

I think you have more chance of getting hit by a bus than hurt by an insect and most of the time you don't even know they are there.

When I first moved to Oz (as a little kiddliewink) a March fly landed on my arm. I spent about 5 minutes screaming my head off for someone to come and "Stop this thing biting me" :lol: It was really pathetic.

Isn't it March flies which give you a massive painful itchy welt when they bite? It's one of those big bastard flies.

Dandy ever considered where a redback could squeeze through?

:wink:

Angela Harlem said:

Dandy ever considered where a redback could squeeze through?

that's just mean. :angry:

lessee, i bitch about the snow in canada quite a bit, but could i handle human size spiders hiding in my showerhead any better?

i would be such a girly girl if i lived in australia.

:crack:

well luckily half of australian men eat beer cans for breakfast and like to slaughter any livestock which might want to endanger your life.

..the other half will hide behind you screaming like girls.
:huh:

Is a March Fly big or small and what does it look like? I've never seen any of the bugs I've seen here. Never knew there were so many different kinds of bugs on this planet....

But I do know what a lady bug looks like 'though. And what a normal housefly looks like too:hyper:

A lady bug! A lady bug! Singular? We get plagues of lady bugs here, mate. The whole landscape turns orangey- red. Okay, it already WAS orangey-red but it tuns a different shade of orangey-red when the lady bugs descended. I recall the Great Lady Bug Plague of 1937. I had just returned from 'nam when suddenly......

Watch any Australian speak. They talk through closed lips.

And why is that you ask????

To stop the bugs getting in.....:huh:

Back
Top Bottom