IO: Baseball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cubsz win, Cubsz win

no.

It is an American Institution.

Like Apple Pie and Cheverolet.

There is a VERY short list of things that beat a warm, sunny summer afternoon (late) in the stands at Wrigley Field. There are four or eight empty souvenir cups at your feet, dried of the golden fruit that they once beared (Old Style). next to the cups, beaten peanut shells soak up the sticky residue of what the fellow Cub fan next to you called "alcohol abuse" (that ass bumped your arm and MADE the beer spill everywhere as he tried to start a wave - sorry man....Wrigley is a "Wave Free Zone.")

It doesn't matter if the Cubs are winning or losing - some psuedo-celebrity is about to sing the "seventh inning stretch" - and most likely make a fool of themselves.

Their is a certain "romance" to babseball...a connection to our nation's history. The salaries and origin of the players - as well as the ticket prices and amenities you find at the ballparks - may have changed, but nine guys come out in knickers and caps and throw/hit around a small leather and lace ball.

Play ball!

Last edited:
So baseball is important for you like gaelic is to us :up:
What exactly are they supposed to do with the small leather and lace ball? :slant:

And do people ask for a "dog and a beer" like Kevin Costner says in Field of Dreams? This phrase amused us muchly.

yes...a dog and beer. and another beer, please. And another.

Hey, beer man....another beer for me.

The ball...you throw it, and a guy tries to hit it. Easier said than done.

Can I get another beer?

:up: Thank you for englightening me zoney. :D

Dogs and beers.
:up:

I have never heard of the "Cubsz" :up:
Sometimes we watch baseball on tv at 2 in the morning when we come home from the pub though but we don't really pay attention to whats happening.

Lara Mullen said:
but we don't really pay attention to whats happening.

We don't always either! :up:

Cubsz: the cubs used to have an announcer named Harry Carrey (sp?) and he would slur a lot of his words...especially late in the game! :drunk:

Sausage Races :hyper:

sausagerace_275x214.gif

rounders is an english game similar to baseball... was supposed to be what baseball was based on, but no one's really sure who invented baseball in the first place. most say abner doubleday invented it in cooperstown, new york as a way to entertain troops durring the civil war, but there is much debate on that subject...

whomever invented baseball, i shall have a drink for him tommorow night... even though basketball's my sport, there really is nothing like baseball... it's timeless... literally... as the great yogi berra once put it, it ain't over till it's over. it's part of the charm of baseball... you clould be down 100 to nothing in the bottom of the 9th inning, 2 strikes, 2 outs... and technicaly you're not out of it. as long as you have 1 out left, the hope of victory is still alive... just ask any red sox fan... :wink:

We had the "Is baseball just a game of rounders" fight again tonight. :up:

i want to put all cards in a reject box, light it on fire and throw it off a cliff. and that's on a good day. :angry:

:heart:
11479859.jpg
:heart:

Agreed. Well, about the hotness.

:drool:

By the rando way CubbieFlower, every summer I rent out a rooftop next to Wrigley for the Cubs/Cards series. Last year it was over 4th of July weekend. Fun stuff.
I will extend an invitation to you this year.

:mad:

omg. that's not even funny. :mad: :drool: i think i have tix for one of those series but i think i have nosebleed seats. :|

claw, regardless of circumstances, you and i must hang out. :angry:

p.s. - i really like the sound of cubbieflower. :love:

Then CubbieFlower it is.

:angry:

I will meet you at the Cubbie Bear directly after the game. I will buy you many drinks so that you may drown your sorrows in them.

We will meet at the entrance facing Wrigley.

So it shall be.

Back
Top Bottom