IO: American Airlines Sucks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Northwest is better, in my opinion for both local and international flights. Trusty old KLM and BA aren't bad either.

I personally have a pretty low opinion of all the major U.S. carriers. Got no choice but to fly them though, since that's the only way out of Saipan.

I do make a habit of carrying on anything that I feel I can't replace or don't want to go to the trouble and expense of replacing. I've never lost a checked bag though, but I bet I will the first time I relent from my policy and stick something of value in one of the bags.

they truly all are the same...except one is the worst!

UberBeaver said:
Noted. Zoney - for next time:

More :rant: less: :nerd:

:drool:

The funny thing is...I was going to get all technical, but I was feeling a twinge of grumpy after reading through 100+ passenger complaints earlier in the day. :yikes:

Next time, i will get all technical on yo' asses! :D

I haven't had a bag completely lost for good, but mine was misplaced for about 3 days while I was in Ireland a few years ago. thank goodness I followed my mom's advice from back in the day and packed at least one change of clothes in my carry on. Unless I'm going overseas, I never check my luggage, just in case. I tend to fly Southwest these days since it's so convenient here but I do remember sitting on the runway for 5 hours on a United flight. good times.

who is the worst?????????

zoney! said:

The funny thing is...I was going to get all technical, but I was feeling a twinge of grumpy after reading through 100+ passenger complaints earlier in the day. :yikes:

Next time, i will get all technical on yo' asses! :D

Oh hells yes! :drool:

I'm always amazed that I can send my bag up a ramp into a black hole and that it comes out on a carousel hours later.

zoney! said:
actually, there is a store in Alabama that sells all the unclaimed items found in bags!

yeah, it's like that website that police depts have that seel the stuff that was recovered and never claimed;

stealitback.com

:|

my opinion (check the stats) U.S. Airways

WildHoneyAlways said:

Oh hells yes! :drool:

I'm always amazed that I can send my bag up a ramp into a black hole and that it comes out on a carousel hours later.

In reality, it is quite an amazing thing that luggage gets from one place to another - with accuracy! There are soooooo many opportunites for mechanical and human failure.

When Schmeg and I went to see that band in Hawaii in December, our bag did not connect with us in LAX. It stayed in LAX for a few extra days. WE found out when we got home that the tag came off some how. :angry: Luckily, I am/we are smart packers and the stuff in the bag was not "needed."

In another odd occurence, we were flying to my sister's and got over "her" aiport and could not get in and flew all the way back to Detroit and cancelled. We decided to forfeit the trip and head home back to Cornlandia. We asked an agent to send a reroute message. To our suprise, the back appeared back in cornlandia with us!

Tags fall off. Your tags get put on someone else's bag. Tags do not print with your full flight information. Tags get misread by employees making less than most McDonald's employees. Tags get misread by laser eyes attached to computers. Straps on bags get stuck in the magical belt system. Bags fall off in the belt system. Bags get ripped apart by belt systems (usually due to loose straps). Bags roll endlessly (end over end) on the belt system. Bags roll in the same spot forever in the bag system. TSA searches bags. TSA restricts some bags from making the trip. Bags jam in the belt system. Bags get put into the wrong cart. Bags get sent to claim belts instead of going to their next plane. Bags RARELY move smoothly from airline to airline (if you want your luggage to get to your final desitnation....book on the same airline and avoid cheaptickets.com or other sites that give you options on multiple airlines with multiple stops - it is NOT worth the 30USD you might save). Bags are left on planes. Bags fall out of carts. Bags get left in carts overnight. Bags get held up by other peoples bags who have security issues. Bags go unnoticed for hours in one spot (the "invisible" bag that people trip over every ten minutes). My personal favorites: "my bag is not on the belt (yes it is...you just have NO FUCKING IDEA what your own bag looks like) - and - "Ooops, sorry. I picked up someone else's bag. WHAT? You want me to drive all the way back to the airport to return this bag that I wrongly picked up and also pick up my bag? Can't you deliver them?"

:D

I have more topics..............

When I was working at JFK, I remember this passenger was giving this girl a I worked with a real hard time about something or other. She finished with him and he went on his way. Turns out he was some big wig doing something important somewhere. Whatever, he was a prick. A little while later I see her with several tags in her hand marked EZE which is Buenos Aires. She went to the bag room, found his bags and rerouted them. :D That's another way your bags end up elsewhere.

ohsnap.gif

Re: my opinion (check the stats) U.S. Airways

zonelistener said:

In reality, it is quite an amazing thing that luggage gets from one place to another - with accuracy! There are soooooo many opportunites for mechanical and human failure.

When Schmeg and I went to see that band in Hawaii in December, our bag did not connect with us in LAX. It stayed in LAX for a few extra days. WE found out when we got home that the tag came off some how. :angry: Luckily, I am/we are smart packers and the stuff in the bag was not "needed."

In another odd occurence, we were flying to my sister's and got over "her" aiport and could not get in and flew all the way back to Detroit and cancelled. We decided to forfeit the trip and head home back to Cornlandia. We asked an agent to send a reroute message. To our suprise, the back appeared back in cornlandia with us!

Tags fall off. Your tags get put on someone else's bag. Tags do not print with your full flight information. Tags get misread by employees making less than most McDonald's employees. Tags get misread by laser eyes attached to computers. Straps on bags get stuck in the magical belt system. Bags fall off in the belt system. Bags get ripped apart by belt systems (usually due to loose straps). Bags roll endlessly (end over end) on the belt system. Bags roll in the same spot forever in the bag system. TSA searches bags. TSA restricts some bags from making the trip. Bags jam in the belt system. Bags get put into the wrong cart. Bags get sent to claim belts instead of going to their next plane. Bags RARELY move smoothly from airline to airline (if you want your luggage to get to your final desitnation....book on the same airline and avoid cheaptickets.com or other sites that give you options on multiple airlines with multiple stops - it is NOT worth the 30USD you might save). Bags are left on planes. Bags fall out of carts. Bags get left in carts overnight. Bags get held up by other peoples bags who have security issues. Bags go unnoticed for hours in one spot (the "invisible" bag that people trip over every ten minutes). My personal favorites: "my bag is not on the belt (yes it is...you just have NO FUCKING IDEA what your own bag looks like) - and - "Ooops, sorry. I picked up someone else's bag. WHAT? You want me to drive all the way back to the airport to return this bag that I wrongly picked up and also pick up my bag? Can't you deliver them?"

:D

I have more topics..............

Sounds to me like getting your bag at your final destination is a bit like being alive.

It's a miracle!

I'm flying to Denver tomorrow. I'm debating checking a bag. I'm flying Southwest. Besides the cattle call :angry: they've been pretty good to me. It always seems like they're late though.

UberBeaver said:
I find that if the flight is direct, you don't really have to worry about checked bags. It's those damn connections that'll kill ya.

I agree ... Waiting for my bag is the most nerve wracking part of flying for me.

But, I have been fortunate. Even when I was flying back to Milwaukee from San Diego with a plane change in Chicago, I literally had less than 10 minutes to make it from one terminal to another one the opposite side of the airport. I was convinced my bag would get lost. But, I was very relieved when it showed up.

I like southwest, but some of their safety practices scare me

WildHoneyAlways said:
I'm flying to Denver tomorrow. I'm debating checking a bag. I'm flying Southwest. Besides the cattle call :angry: they've been pretty good to me. It always seems like they're late though.

If it is a direct flight, your bags have the best chance making it.

So, I just checked out FAA.Gov and pulled On-time stats for May 2006 through May 2007. Southwest was on-time about 80% of the time while four other carriers I checked (Delta, American, Northwest, Continental) all were in between 72% and 77%.

But, it is all about perception!

I probably don't want to know about their saftey practices

80% huh? Sounds good. I checked in today so I have an "A" boarding pass. not that it means anything. I hate the line up. :angry:

I'm going to check my bag. I don't have travel containers for my hair products. :( And I neeeeed them.

I flew AirTran about 6 times during my trip last week; it was like a sardine box with wings, I kid you not. And at least one flight attendant looked exactly like Jackie Brown on each flight.

let's just say there day will come for safety

WildHoneyAlways said:
80% huh? Sounds good. I checked in today so I have an "A" boarding pass. not that it means anything. I hate the line up. :angry:

I'm going to check my bag. I don't have travel containers for my hair products. :( And I neeeeed them.

"A" means you will get to pick your seat.

The line-up scares me. I was flying them and hopped in line (the flight was so empty, there was only a "A" group). This woman ended up stepping in front of me in line. Knowing that there weren't that many people on the flight, I didn't care about it. Well, she eventually turned around, and noticed that I was behind her and not her husband (who got in line behind me instead of in front of me).

She yelled "you cut my husband!" I laughed as her husband yelled at her. "You actually cut HIM." She did not wait for her husband and continued boarding in front of me (like that ONE extra person is going to get you some premium seat or something). When we got on the plane, she got to the FIRST open row, and then stopped. THe WHOLE FUCKING PLANE WAS EMPTY - but she had to stake her claim.

THIS is why open seating is a nightmare. I always head for the back. No one every goes back there, and I usually get my own row.

This just in: all planes are sardine cans. And as for Jackie Brown...I miss Mad1! :D

Re: let's just say there day will come for safety

zonelistener said:

"A" means you will get to pick your seat.

Oh, I know all too well.

I was delayed at DIA for hours yesterday. It was sweet. We didn't get to Midway until almost 2 am. Stupid weather. :angry:

Re: let's just say there day will come for safety

zonelistener said:

THIS is why open seating is a nightmare. I always head for the back. No one every goes back there, and I usually get my own row.

But I've flown on European no-frills airlines (easyJet, RyanAir), which are only open-seating and there was no problem at all. People were extremely civilized in moving to the back, the plane was boarded in an orderly, organized fashion, etc. Maybe they're just more used to it, but I thought it would be a nightmare, and was quite pleasant!

Air Tran flies the same airplanes as everyone else

anitram said:

But I've flown on European no-frills airlines (easyJet, RyanAir), which are only open-seating and there was no problem at all. People were extremely civilized in moving to the back, the plane was boarded in an orderly, organized fashion, etc. Maybe they're just more used to it, but I thought it would be a nightmare, and was quite pleasant!

Southwest got some of their passengers from Greyhound.

That should explain things a bit! :D

Bono's American Wife said:
One of the reasons I love picking you up from the airport! :heart:

Yeah except when I make the mistake of flying American Eagle :angry:

UPDATE for everyone but zoney... :wink:

i'm about to head back home tomorrow, and i've been getting the run-around from the local lost and found for 2 weeks...and finally today when i call and ask why the call i was supposed to get never came, the lady informs me that i should be calling the airline! they keep telling me that they will get it together and will call me...

blah, i guess nobody wants to take responsibility

:huh:

Back
Top Bottom