I'm officially sad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABEL

An Angel In Devil's Shoes
I just found out tonite that the Broadway musical "Les Miserables" closed last night on Broadway. It was my all time favorite musical. :heart: :sigh:

The first time I saw it was back in 1988 when my parents took me to London for my High School Graduation. I saw it again a few years ago when it came to Dallas. I'd always wanted to see it again, but now it looks like I won't be able to see it again, except maybe on video. I even have the Les Miserables poster hanging in my living room.

:sad:

34.jpg

miserables.jpg

'Les Miserables' closes after 16-year run
Monday, May 19, 2003 Posted: 5:38 AM EDT (0938 GMT)

Past and present "Les Miserables" cast members wave and greet one another after the final performance Sunday night.

"Les Miserables" closed out a 16-year Broadway run Sunday after 6,680 performances, leaving Andrew Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera" as the only remaining big British musical of the 1980s left in New York.

"Les Miserables" -- second only to "Cats," Broadway's longest running show -- went out in a joyous, emotional celebration. The invitation-only audience at the Imperial Theatre included members of the original 1987 cast, friends and relatives of the current cast and members of the show's creative team.

Red, white and blue balloons and streamers as well as confetti engulfed theatergoers at the raucous curtain call that had them standing and cheering.

The evening had the feeling of a high school reunion as present and former cast members and others connected with the show greeted each other enthusiastically before the curtain went up. Feelings ran high throughout the entire evening.

"I feel like I am watching 16 years of my life go by," said Alan Wasser, the musical's general manager.

The final performance lasted well over three hours as theatergoers regularly interrupted the proceedings with repeated bursts of applause. After the cast took their bows, producer Cameron Mackintosh; the show's authors, Alain Boulil and Claude-Michel Schonberg, and its two co-directors, Trevor Nunn and John Caird, took to the stage to express their thanks.

"Time for au revoir," Mackintosh told the audience as he lauded the final cast and "all the great, fantastic casts we've had before."

After the speeches, some 40 children who had appeared in recent high school productions of "Les Miserables" gave mini-reprises of the show's better-known songs -- to wild applause.

The evening's emotional highlight was the linking of those students and two members of the original cast. Seventeen-year-old Chris Alan Derflinger, who played hero Jean Valjean in a Metuchen (New Jersey) High School production, joined Randy Graff (Fantine) and Frances Ruffelle (Eponine) for a number that had some members of the audience sniffling.

"Les Miserables," based on Victor Hugo's epic novel, opened March 12, 1987, winning eight Tony Awards including best musical. Grosses for the New York production alone have totaled more than $410 million, and the musical is still out on the road with a tour that has been booked into 2004.

The English-language version of "Les Miserables," which tells the story of Jean Valjean and his pursuit by the relentless Inspector Javert, had its premiere in London at the Royal Shakespeare Company's Barbican Theatre in October 1985 and moved that December to the Palace Theatre, where it is still running.

In the last few years, the big British musicals have slowly been disappearing from Broadway. "Cats," the Lloyd Webber feline extravaganza, folded in 2000 after 18 years and 7,485 performances. "Miss Saigon," another Boublil-Schonberg show, closed in January 2001 after a 10-year run.

"Phantom," which opened in January 1988, is in third place on the Broadway long-run list with 6,382 performances as of Sunday. It will move into the No. 2 position early next year.

I've seen it a few times in MN. It's amazing. Too bad it closed on Broadway. I'm sure you'll get to see it again. It's performed by travelling companies all the time. It passes through here every few years so I'm sure there will still be chances for you to see it.

:hug: wife

I'm listening to my tape now - I just found it...I think I'm going to have to buy the cd tho...the tape seems to be messed up...I guess I played it one too many times :lol:

Do you hear the people sing
Lost in the valley of the night
It is the music of a people
Who are climbing to the light
For the wretched of the earth
There is a flame that never dies
Even the darkest night will end
And the sun will rise.
They will live again in freedom
In the garden of the Lord
They will walk behind the plough-share
They will put away the sword
The chain will be broken
And all men will have their reward!
Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
When tomorrow comes!
Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
When tomorrow comes!
Tomorrow comes!
Tomorrow comes!

I remember one episode of Seinfeld when George couldn't get the song "Master of the House" out of his head :lol:

That's not true at all Able. Buck up. Come on "Throughly Modern Millie" is back on Broadway. Revivals happen all the time, particularly when the plays are as good as Les Mis.

Noti sings the following in her best Marius impression:

Les Mis will live Abel
Dear God above!
If I could restage it with words of love

Back
Top Bottom