I(why do people register and never post?)O

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
I mean, really. You have people who take all this time to register and even fully complete their profile and signature, and you never see them again, until it is their birthday, and, all of a sudden, it's happy birthday, Esther Dominick! :huh:

Do people just compulsively register to every forum they see? I just don't get it, and it just happens over and over and over every day this forum exists.

Melon

heck, there are even people here who've never posted but are premium members! i suppose a lot of these people just lurk. even if it says their last visit was "never," that may not be true. your last visit is marked when you mark all the forums as read, so if they've never done that (which i know many people don't do), then it'd show they've never visited the forums.

i can't imagine lurking somewhere, but i guess some people are really shy. :wave:

I've wondered the same things. Another thing that has caught my eye are the people who have maybe 14 posts when they registered in 2001. Hell, I've only been here a few months and I'm somewhere in :reject:

lol, I don't know how anyone can lurk. I can't read without wanting to open my big mouth and put my two cents in :wink:

I lurked at Interference from the start, but I didn't register until Jan 2001. :shrug:

I was here way before ATYCLB and I got all the 15 second clips etc...

I suppose most peeps just like to watch. :shifty:

wasn't there a brief time about a year or so ago that you had to register to even read the forums? I lurked forever and I thought that was why I registered to begin with because all of a sudden I couldn't even read anything.

I lurk at a lot of forums because I'm really (no really) shy. I register for ones where you have to register to read certain forums. If I wanted to lurk here, I would register, so I could read FYM and to avoid the pop-up things.

nbcrusader said:
Is there a lowest post per day average contest?
well, there is a section where you can view by postcount or whatever; you can go to the last page and find out that way! :wink:

arw9797 said:
wasn't there a brief time about a year or so ago that you had to register to even read the forums? I lurked forever and I thought that was why I registered to begin with because all of a sudden I couldn't even read anything.
mayhaps when elvis started closing off some of the forums from the public. i know he did that with some of them, and still does. for example, i know you can't read fym if you're not logged in, which iirc, was because google was linking to fym threads and generating a ton more traffic (like at any given time the guests would outweigh the members 10:1, and most would be reading some fym thread).

i've registered a few places with the intent on lurking, but i always seem to find myself replying

even when i have nothing really constructive to say

for an example, see this post. and pretty much every other post i've ever made here.

I have some theories:

1. They are shy

2. They signed up when you had to register to read

3. They never really existed in the first place ;) (alters, phantom members to boost membership numbers, etc.)

and like Bonochick said, some of us post enough to make up for them:lol: :yes:

U2Kitten said:
3. They never really existed in the first place ;) (alters, phantom members to boost membership numbers, etc.)

Why would anyone need to boost membership numbers for a website? So, the old saying "he who has the most toys finishes first" rings true?

Well Zoney, I don't know who or why, but I think that has happened. Think about this: when I first started reading this site during the tour, there were 5000+ members. By the time the tour was over, we had topped 6000 members. People were drawn in by the new album and tour and the band was very popular and in the public eye. HOWEVER- I find it a bit odd that the membership which was a steady 5-6000 during U2's PEAK interest period has since then TRIPLED :eyebrow: in a low news time? :huh: So yes, I do believe sometimes people create names just for fun, or whatever reason. But no I don't believe every one of those 17,000 plus members actually exist. I'd say at best, we have 500 faithful posters and maybe 2000 lurkers, and that's if interest is up. I could be wrong, but that's what I think. Of course it doesn't matter. It's a great site anyway:)

Back
Top Bottom