I PET DOLPHINS!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BabyGrace

Refugee
or is it petted
confused.gif

I know none of you care at all, oh but Im so happy!!!!! I went down to look at a University today and its right by Baltimore where the National Aquarium of Baltimore is, and Ive always said if I go to school there, Im going to train the dolphins because well, that's one of my dreams...

and so anyway, after I saw the school I went to the aquarium and I sat down in the very front row at the dolphin show and I was praying that they would choose me to be the volunteer that pets the dolphins and helps feed them and THEY DID!!!! after like 5 mins this cute guy walks up to me and is like, "how would you like to be a part of today's show?" and I was like "oh I'd love that!!" (I think he was laughing at me
biggrin.gif
)

so then I get these huge rubber boots and they call me up during the show and the girl was like, "can you swim?" and I just kinda laughed to myself...and then I got in the water and I pet this dolphin's stomach, and then another one's fins (he kept turning his head around to look at me), and then I fed the third one a fish...at which point the girl told me to wipe my hands on my pants, which I did of course
rolleyes.gif
and everyone laughed, and she said ?that?s great, now your pants should smell like dead fish for a week!?
biggrin.gif

it was so amazing though, those animals are so beautiful and intelligent, and so incredibly strong it just amazes me...the way they can jump and land almost silently, in perfect control, and then hold their 500lb bodies out of the water with just their tails...gosh theyre beautiful! And there were three babies too which we saw playing a bit...

So anyway this was my first time meeting some of my favourite animals of all and Im totally psyched about it
smile.gif
plus I got a certificate to remember it by and im a grinning idiot
biggrin.gif

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man

[This message has been edited by BabyGrace (edited 03-06-2002).]

That's wonderful! Something I would love to do. I would REALLY love to swim with them--except for two things: it's fabulously expensive pretty much anywhere the experience is available, and some people think it might not be good for them. I don't know about that, haven't read enough of the evidence either way.

BG, I should recommend a book to you: A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L'Engle. There is a lot about dolphins in it, and a lot more. I've read quite a few of her books, some I loved, others didn't like so much--the one you are most likely to have read is A Wrinkle in Time, and maybe its sequels A Wind in the Door and A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Actually, a lot of her books are related because the same characters wander in and out of them, only the main character in one book might be a side character in another, and so on. Really interesting. Anyway, Ring seems like the kind of book you would enjoy--probably my favourite by her.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Thats really cool BabyG! I've never touched a dolphin I dont think. I know they are amazing creatures though.. how exciting!

biggrin.gif

That would be awesome. I've been in the water with them before (in the wild) shat myself, thought it was a shark at first, but didn't get to touch it. It was circling just out of reach. I think it was way more intrigued by me then I was of it.

That's great BG!!! Lucky you!!!
smile.gif

I've touched them once in the Ocean Park in Hong Kong(kinda like a theme park). That was about eight years ago and I was very small.
It was an 'experience day' in our school and we all went to the park and learn what did the people there do every day. I was selected to touch and feed the dolphins and I 'conducted' them to do a few moves. No swimming though, but that's enough for me. I talked about this for 3 more months and my parents and friends were all tired of me... lol...
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 03-07-2002).]

Scattero, you know what? Ive read all the books you mentioned except for that one! I'll have to read it now though
smile.gif

Tyler you actually swam with them in the wild?? oh you're so lucky...best I've swam with was a massive shark which scared me badly. seen dolphins in the wild but only at a distance...
Angie, actually I wanna work there as an internship later so I'll show them the certificate when I apply for the job
biggrin.gif

Christi...it sounds like you did just what I did! I didn't actually swim with them unfortunately, but it's still like a dream come true. Funny thing too is, they usually take little kids for the job, not 17 year olds...oh well
tongue.gif

and yeah lil sis, they've already told me to shut up...Im way too excited and happy about this
biggrin.gif

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man

Back
Top Bottom