I officially have senioritis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Tell me. Why should I care anymore? I'm in college now. I'm supposed to be watching a video in AP Enviro Sci, i know if i don't pay attention that i'll fail the test, as usual, but i just don't care. Not caring about my grades is so much fun! :hyper:

I had that feeling much of last semester and then on Monday and yesterday while I was sitting doing my exams it hit me how important they are and count towards my degree. All I could think was I would have found the French exam so much easier if I had only read a little more French outside of class work. The Spanish was much easier because I talk to my Spanish friend a lot. Next semester I'll work my socks off in French. I'd be upset if my grades delayed my year away.

I should really print this page off and stick it to my memoboard to remind myself that I was once really enthusiastic about my course. :hmm:

My son is pretty much sailing through his senior year too but we have a secret weapon to prevent senoritis :D

We get a good student discount on our insurance if he maintains a 3.5 GPA...if he lets it slip, no insurance = no driving the car we bought him for X-mas. :mac:

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
ah nice incentive. :up:

surprisingly i don't have over a 3.5 in the first place. :shrug:

We need an incentive with him...you already have your college plans firmed up but he hasn't even started looking. If anything he'll start at a community college and transfer to a 4 year later. He's almost 18 and doesn't have a college to impress so it would be goof-off city if it weren't for the car.

And I am surprised you aren't above a 3.5! :ohmy:

Me too.........long story though. I went from one of the worst school systems in the country to one of the best. A difficult transition, and I just can't manage to squeak it out above the 3.5. I have a 3.4 :madspit:

Not to mention most of my knowledge is not applicable in a school setting.

Last edited:
What is GPA and what does 3.5 mean?
I have been learning some American school stuff this past week from an Interferencer who is over here but I have not yet learnt everything. :D

A=4
B=3
C=2
D=1
F=0

you average out your grades to get your GPA. for instance say you have 4 As and 3 Bs. That would be 4+4+4+4+3+3+3, then divide by 7. That would be a 3.5, but actually rounded up to a 3.6. Then if you take honors and/or AP classes, that adds 'weight' to your GPA, usually about .17 or so.

In school here it's just A,B,C,D,E, and U for ungraded

In unviersity its 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd class degree.
Apparently I was sitting on a "definate 2:1" when I left university in December according to my tutor who is the head of spanish and quite a hard marker. I bet it's much lower now that I've done my exam though. :slant: The average in our last exams was 52 which is a 2:2. I usually get marks of 62 - 68 and a 70+ is a 1st but I think only 2 people in our year got that and 75 people do Spanish.

GPA is "grade point average". A perfect GPA is 4.0. That means you make straight A's, no B's. 3.0 is the lowest B average possible. So 3.5 is a good, strong B average. I had a 3.2 in college--I had all sorts of trouble with math and science, got a whole slew of C's, it bumped me down.

U2democrat said:

Do college seniors get senioritis?

Not if they have plans for further schooling...

The 4.0 grade scale on the college level is a lot more complicated than 4, 3, 2, 1. I think the lowest B is actually something like a 2.7 these days and a 3.0 is a solid B.

anitram said:

Not if they have plans for further schooling...

The 4.0 grade scale on the college level is a lot more complicated than 4, 3, 2, 1. I think the lowest B is actually something like a 2.7 these days and a 3.0 is a solid B.

It varies from school system to school system. One of many reasons why I hate GPA with a passion.

I CANT WAIT for my senior year next year. It's going to be so much better compared to this year. I've never done more work in my entire life than in just this one year of school. This is my schedule this year

1st and 2nd pds - AP Biology
3rd - AP English (English Lit)
4th - Music Theory/History (would be cool, but my teacher's that biggest twat alive)
5th - AP U.S. History II
6th - Physical Education/Health
7th - Advanced Piano, Mrs. Beane-Fox = greatest teacher I've ever had:applaud:
8th - AP Pre-Calculus

It's such a nightmare. Add onto that a slew of eztra-ciricualar activities that include Yearbook staff (deadline is January 26th!! OMG, It's never going to get done on time!!:crazy: ), School newspaper, and Tri-M national honor society....things are just so crazy.

Next year, all I'm really taking is AP Calculus and AP English, and the rest is just smooth sailing...can't wait...if just to escape the hell that is my Junior Year!

U2democrat said:
Do college seniors get senioritis?

Last year in my last year of college, 2nd semester I had MAJOR senioritis after I had already gotten accepted to my #1 law school choice....so essentially the same as senioritis in HS once you've gotten accepted to college...

All I really remember doing last school year....taking naps, ordering food, working out, watching movies, playing nintendo with the roommates....I think I went to class sometimes...:laugh:

Unfortunately law school is not the same; if I did all that stuff now I think I'd be failing out.

U2democrat said:

It varies from school system to school system. One of many reasons why I hate GPA with a passion.

Yeah. We didn't have a GPA in high school, we had percentage marks. To this day, I don't tell people mine because it makes me sound like an utter geek, when the fact is, I went to school with people who weren't interested in schooling. :wink:

I'm a college senior, and i have senioritis. I'm not going any further in school. I don't know if it is so much senioritis or just general laziness that i have had all my life :drool:

I think I came down with senioritis two weeks into my junior year. It got even worse once I got into every college I applied to. Senioritis is even worse in college when you already have accepted a job offer.

Back
Top Bottom