i/o my mom sprung braces on me!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you had no idea at all that you needed braces and/or that you were getting them? I just find that hard to believe. And my daughter has braces. :shrug:

I had braces when I was your age.....now everyone says I have beautiful teeth and smile!!!!:D

They are only sore for a couple of days...cold ice cream helps!

You might want to take some Tylenol about 30 minutes before they actually put them on. Just the first few days you might be miserable, but it'll get better. That's what happened with my daughter - she got them on in August (and she's 11).

In 5th grade I had a choice between a retainer or braces and I chose a retainer. Well my teeth are screwed up. I should have taken the braces!

I want to get braces!

they might hurt now...but in the long run...you will appreciate the fact that you are getting it out of the way now! :up:

Sounds like you're still quite young. Don't sweat the braces. I've had them twice. Believe me when I say it doesn't hurt so much the first time--piece o' cake. Get that sh*t fixed right with a competent orthodontist. The second time--well, I'll just say, the older you get, the harder it is to get your teeth to move. That means way more pain....
Do whatever your orthodontist says, whether you want to or not.
And, it doesn't hurt when they come off...

I got my braces when I was 18. I just got them off a couple weeks back. I'm 21.
Be glad you're getting them when you're teeth are easier to move so you don't have to keep them for three years.

Personally, I thought the worst part was getting them off.
They pulled out a pointy thing that takes cement off your teeth, and it's really, really cold. Amazingly painful.
I'm not sure if it happens for everyone, though. I may have gotten the the Triple H of dentistry.
It's all for the better, though. My teeth are great now.

Believe me, if your family can afford them you are very lucky. They are not so fun while you have them, but you will have a beautiful smile for the rest of your life. Very worth it! :up:

love_u2_adam said:
ok there on....:shifty:..it kinda hurts but not that much, every one told me that they were going to hurt soo bad and that they suck but they don't!! i just feel very ugly:wink:

Just remember there are plenty of people getting braces. And beauty comes from the inside!

It will take some time to adjust at first. You probably won't be happy for a few days. When my daughter got them, it was quite traumatic the first few days. She is a beautiful girl with a beautiful smile and personality (not just saying that because I'm her mom), and she felt ugly. She didn't even want to look in the mirror, and I felt horrible that there was nothing I could do, and I knew the braces were what she needed and it would be best to have them when you are young. It's just an adjustment period. And don't feel isolated because EVERYONE has braces - it's rather common now. When I was a kid AGES ago, I had them as well. But, in the "old days" the metal bands wrapped AROUND each tooth, and there was more hardware in your mouth. Now it's only on the front face of the tooth, so I think it's much improved and less painful than the old days.

Hopefully your orthodontist recommended getting a Water Pik or some sort of cleaning device to keep your teeth clean, since it's impossible to floss. That may take adjusting too - we had water squirting everywhere the first week or so. The mirrors in the bathroom were soaked, not to mention clothes :lmao:

:hug:

by the way... as a comfort for my daughter who probably felt helpless at the time, I told her to give the braces a week. If she couldn't adjust or was in so mush pain & misery, I would go in and have them removed. I wanted her to know there was an option. But I also knew that it would be best to have the braces now rather than later, like when she would be in high school or something. The orthodontist told us on the last visit that after 6 months, things were looking good, and maybe she wouldn't have to go the full 2 years. I'm not counting on that, but if it's true, that would be awesome :up:

Mine didn't hurt very much at all; your friends must be pansies.

To be more serious, no, mine didn't hurt at all. It was uncomfortable, because when they took them off my mouth was dry. But there was no 'pain' involved. Make sure to keep them clean, obviously. I imagine it would be quite painful if the removed the braces to discover a rotten tooth in the process.

When you get them off, it feels great.

Lila64 said:
Hopefully your orthodontist recommended getting a Water Pik or some sort of cleaning device to keep your teeth clean, since it's impossible to floss. That may take adjusting too - we had water squirting everywhere the first week or so. The mirrors in the bathroom were soaked, not to mention clothes :lmao:
I used toothpicks. They work great, and they're cheap. :drool:

You'd be surprised. Toothpicks are really great for everything a water pick can do.
Metal Dental picks work better than toothpicks, and if they're the curvy ones you can get anything out of the metal death traps that are braces.

Of course, there's toothbrushes, but those aren't always available. They can be, but you'll seem like a metal institution escape if you whip a mini toothbrush out in the middle of an Apple Bees. :wink:

Sicy said:
In 5th grade I had a choice between a retainer or braces and I chose a retainer. Well my teeth are screwed up. I should have taken the braces!

Same here Sicy, I still have and over bite and a gap in my front teeth. I heard that it could have been corrected in half the time it would take if I was to get them now The price is more expensive now also.:sigh: Oh well, I guess the bad teeth are here to stay:happy:

Teeth are dynamic. I had braces for 2 years, then a retainer for 2 years. They pulled out my bicuspids before braces, then my wisdom teeth (that were just starting to come in) after. So eight teeth lost and four years of braces/retainers.

And now, I still have an ever so slight overbite and my bottom teeth still shifted around. Granted, both are better than they were 3 decades ago, but it's not like it was perfect.

In other words, the dynamic nature of our mouths will cause the teeth to go back to their original positions anyway.

I can't help but wonder if it was worth it.

But the only "pain" I felt was when they rewired the braces - not during, but after, when my teeth started to shift due to the re-tightening. That hurt for a day or so (made chewing tough). Otherwise, pretty pain free.

Now, compare this to two root canals, gum surgery and crowns. Thank goodness for novocaine! :up:

IWasBored said:
i think that might be the crux of your problem right there.

dude, why don't you lay off?

she's a KID.

i'm sure you're actually picking on a child.

hope you do well with your braces love_u2_adam. :D

Back
Top Bottom